Zaon XRX and a Garmin 496

Old October 26th 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

Default Zaon XRX and a Garmin 496

So I've decided to get myself some sort of traffic ability and have been
leaning towards a Zaon MRX given the $.5 AMU cost.
Then I see this on AvWeb: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlRoVcOnFM4

Turns out the $1.7 AMU Zaon can now interface with the Garmin 496/396 by
sending the traffic data in a TIS-style message to the GPS. Not only that,
the XRX can actually detect traffic in 10 degree (or 22 degree as the Zaon
guy mentioned) azimuth increments but is limited by its display to only 45
deg. So with the interface, you get to take advantage of its full accuracy.

Damn, having spent the $$ on the 496 it seems a waste not to take advantage
of this to make it a VERY capable little box. *sigh*

Marco

--
__________________________________
KFRG Feed - LiveATC.net

Old October 26th 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Damn, having spent the $$ on the 496 it seems a waste not to take advantage
of this to make it a VERY capable little box. *sigh*

That is *really* cool.

If I lived in a higher traffic area, I'd seriously be considering
adding it to our panel-docked 496.

Of course, the other problem is where to put the Zaon. To make it
perfect, you would remotely mount it somewhere, and feed the 496 with
their $75 cable...which is probably way too short.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 26th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
That is *really* cool.

If I lived in a higher traffic area, I'd seriously be considering
adding it to our panel-docked 496.

Of course, the other problem is where to put the Zaon. To make it
perfect, you would remotely mount it somewhere, and feed the 496 with
their $75 cable...which is probably way too short.

My area of ops tends to be like a beehive and it became all too apparent
with the recent midair. Although...it *has* been almost 15 years since the
last one...

The other technical issue is that I'd like to panel mount the 496 and
integrate it with the Garmin 430. That makes the wiring a bit dicey since
they use the same port.

Marco