Nevada governor to bill Fossett widow for search expenses

Old May 3rd 08, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default Nevada governor to bill Fossett widow for search expenses

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

george writes:

I'd like to know that if I ever went down the Search and Rescue would
come looking for me without regard for the beancounters

So you think that no cap should be placed on the amount of money spent to
search for you? And you believe that taxpayers in general should pay the
infinitely high bill?

Depends, for me? of course. for you? not a chewing gum wrapper.

Bertie
Old May 3rd 08, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Shirl

Shirl:
It isn't as if they say to the spouse, "Hey, would you like us to go
search for your husband?" and if she says no, they just leave a guy who
might need rescuing out there, or if she says yes, she's responsible for
the bill.

Mxsmanic wrote:
A third option would be to ask her if she wants to spend money on the search.
If the answer is no, the search is the same as it would be for any other
non-celebrity; if the answer is yes, the search is more extensive, and she
pays for the over-budget expenses.

Didn't say those were options.
They search for missing people whether the spouse approves it or not.
Why should she be responsible for the bill?
Old May 3rd 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:
Gig 601Xl Builder writes:

There is no evidence that Fossett did anything that was unsafe on his
final flight.

So? In any case, he may not have been unsafe, but he was clearly unwise.

Only in your opinion that it is unwise to fly anything other than
a simulator.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old May 3rd 08, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Some Other Guy

$687,000? That's outrageous!

I promise to not find him for half as much!

Old May 3rd 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On May 2, 9:00 am, "Kloudy via AviationKB.com" u33403@uwe wrote:
Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=90982

CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) - Gov. Jim Gibbons intends to bill the widow of
missing multimillionaire adventurer Steve Fossett for $687,000 the state
spent in searching for the famed aviator last fall, a spokesman said.

Jeez. Ain't it enough she lost her husband?
Worse than that, she'll probably never know how,when or why without closure.
In my experience that sets folks up for some special kinda suffering.

Sure Fossett was wealthy but is my wife gonna get a bill for SAR if I bail in
the hills?

Joe Bob don't like it...nope not one little bit.

I"m a CAP member, and I look forward to volunteering for the searches,
although I lament the need.
If I thought the state was going to bill someone, I'd rethink my
volunteer status.

I wonder if the feds billed the Kennedy family for the use of a
destroyer for a funeral....?
Old May 3rd 08, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:
[...]

destroyer for a funeral....?- Hide quoted text -

We all wonder if the Kennedy family was billed for the satellite time
they used to look for traces, the submarines, the dozens of ships and
aircraft in the search mission, and god only knows what other taxpayer
funded assistance services they used. In a country where : "All men
are created equal", clearly all men are not. If I go missing I want
1/10 of what the did to look for Young Kennedy. .. Fat chance if
they do it though... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old May 3rd 08, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
K l e i n

On May 2, 7:58*pm, Some Other Guy wrote:
$687,000? *That's outrageous!

I promise to not find him for half as much!

Buy a SPOT. If you do, you can buy search and rescue insurance for up
to $100,000 in S&R expense including helicopter retrieval for $7.95/
year. And with the SPOT, they'll know where to come get you.
;-) www.findmespot.com

Just a happy customer.

K l e i n
Old May 3rd 08, 07:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

wrote

I"m a CAP member, and I look forward to volunteering for the searches,
although I lament the need.
If I thought the state was going to bill someone, I'd rethink my
volunteer status.

I wonder if the feds billed the Kennedy family for the use of a
destroyer for a funeral....?

No, and although I think I would not be in favor of charging for SAR, I do
understand where the sentiment is coming from.

How much would Nevada have spent looking for you or me, if we had disappeared in
exactly the same circumstances?

How about the same question in regard to how much the Navy would have spent
looking for and recovering the crashed plane of Robert Kennedy Jr. compared to
you or me?

Not even one percent of the money spent on these searches would have been spent
for our searches, even if you could get them to agree to unleash the kind of
resources they uncorked.

To be honest, the widow should have volunteered to pay for the search, before
she is ever charged, or at least a large portion of it.

JMHO. Your mileage could vary, and I can understand that side of the coin,
also.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 3rd 08, 07:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Shirl writes:

Didn't say those were options.
They search for missing people whether the spouse approves it or not.
Why should she be responsible for the bill?

Not her, exactly, but the missing person's estate, but usually money from the
estate is money the widow will not receive.

The reason is that the state spends more or less on a search depending on how
important someone is. The average person is unimportant and the search is
short. But celebrities, politicians, millionaires, children, and cute women
(to cite a few groups) routinely receive far more attention than others, and
this costs the state a lot more. I think the inequality should be reimbursed
by the estate, in a country that likes to think of itself as providing
equality for all.
Old May 3rd 08, 08:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Benjamin Dover

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Shirl writes:

Didn't say those were options.
They search for missing people whether the spouse approves it or not.
Why should she be responsible for the bill?

Not her, exactly, but the missing person's estate, but usually money
from the estate is money the widow will not receive.

The reason is that the state spends more or less on a search depending
on how important someone is. The average person is unimportant and
the search is short. But celebrities, politicians, millionaires,
children, and cute women (to cite a few groups) routinely receive far
more attention than others, and this costs the state a lot more. I
think the inequality should be reimbursed by the estate, in a country
that likes to think of itself as providing equality for all.

In your case Anthony, the search wouldn't even last a picosecond.