Virus heads up......

Old May 16th 04, 05:28 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Virus heads up......

Probably pretty impossible to tell who, but I have just received a
couple of virus attempts traceable to a user (or a user's address book
acquaintance) of this list. You can probably expect one, too.....

Now that most virus-spreaders use hijacked email addresses, it's impossible
(in my experience) to figure this out.

Heck, I get five "bounces" per day, from people to whom I've never sent an
email. Each one of them says that the message "I" sent had a virus
attached to it.

Has anyone figured a way to catch the *******s that are doing this?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 16th 04, 06:50 PM
zatatime

On Sun, 16 May 2004 16:28:01 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Probably pretty impossible to tell who, but I have just received a
couple of virus attempts traceable to a user (or a user's address book
acquaintance) of this list. You can probably expect one, too.....

Now that most virus-spreaders use hijacked email addresses, it's impossible
(in my experience) to figure this out.

Heck, I get five "bounces" per day, from people to whom I've never sent an
email. Each one of them says that the message "I" sent had a virus
attached to it.

Has anyone figured a way to catch the *******s that are doing this?

All you can do is send the headers to your ISP abuse department. The
best is if you get the original e-mail in the bounced message as an
attachment. That will have the originating domain, etc...

I had this happen, sent my ISP about 15 headers and a week later
everything had calmed down. I'm not saying it will definately stop
everything, but its your only recourse.

HTH.
Old May 17th 04, 02:06 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

Has anyone figured a way to catch the *******s that are doing this?

Best I've been able to do is to set up filters to move the stuff to trash.

George Patterson
I childproofed my house, but they *still* get in.
Old May 17th 04, 02:09 AM
Dave S

I probably filter 15 viruses/email bounces/spam a day and ONLY from the
email address that I use for sending stuff to here and for public
dissemination.

Dave

Old May 17th 04, 05:00 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Jay Honeck wrote:

Has anyone figured a way to catch the *******s that are doing this?

Best I've been able to do is to set up filters to move the stuff to trash.

I bet if they did it to the IRS computer they'd find a way to get them.

Old May 17th 04, 06:26 AM
BTIZ

most virus spreading is done by placing another "reply to" address or "from"
address from someone else's address book.

My ISP just installed it's own version of anti spam and anti virus.. it
sends me a message that xyz sent and email with the wk32.xxx virus and I
don't know xyz... so I worry not..

BT

Old May 17th 04, 06:37 AM
Tony

My computer is loaded with them its running so slow. I dumped everything
off it 2 times. The computer guys is comming tomorrow. It will come up
with this message and the then it starts to count down and shuts down.
Should have it fixed tomorrow.

N8389P
KAPV

*** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com ***
Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.

Undeliverable mail-- HAS VIRUS ATTACHED Icebound Instrument Flight Rules 0 March 1st 04 08:31 PM
VIRUS WARNING nuke Home Built 0 February 12th 04 12:11 AM
Please read - virus alert (posted by Gordon) Krztalizer Naval Aviation 0 January 28th 04 11:33 PM
sobig.f virus Tarver Engineering Instrument Flight Rules 1 September 2nd 03 03:54 AM
Virus Alert: AVflash 8.51a from AVweb John T Instrument Flight Rules 2 September 1st 03 07:48 AM