Inst Panel Markings

Old March 30th 04, 02:22 PM
Jke4034

Default Inst Panel Markings

Who is a good source of instrument pannel marking stickers or decals for a
glider in the US?
Old March 30th 04, 03:03 PM
Cliff Hilty

The SSA used to sell them for a buck or two I think.
They were not the greatest pictures but they would
meet the FAA requirements! Try www.SSA.org

Old March 30th 04, 03:38 PM
Tim Mara

Why not just make them yourself (I do) in ay word processing program,
laminate them and attach with double sided tape like that used for
installing mylar seals? or try any Throphy shop, they can make quite nice
stick on labels in a variety of materials.
tim

Old March 31st 04, 12:08 AM
Bill Daniels

I second Tim's idea. A good color ink jet can do some impressive things on
glossy paper. Use a graphics or paint program and be as creative as you
like. Laminate them at Kinkos and attach with two sided tape. Carpet tape
works fine and is cheap.

Old March 31st 04, 12:38 AM
Eric Greenwell

Bill Daniels wrote:
I second Tim's idea. A good color ink jet can do some impressive things on
glossy paper. Use a graphics or paint program and be as creative as you
like. Laminate them at Kinkos and attach with two sided tape. Carpet tape
works fine and is cheap.

Save a trip to Kinkos and "laminate" them yourself. Clear 2" wide
packaging tape is thin and easily applied to the top side, then cut to
size. It seems durable in my glider, as does clear "Contact" shelf
paper, which works well when both dimensions exceed 2".
--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old March 31st 04, 01:54 AM
Jim Vincent

I use microsoft Word and print on plain white paper. Set the text to white and
the background to black. If you want a template, e-mail me directly.

Get clear shelving paper from the local Home Depot. About $5 gets you a long
roll; you can do 20 ships. I use carpet tape as well, but get the thin kind.

Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ
illspam
Old March 31st 04, 03:52 PM
Nyal Williams

With a little bit of time my method will give you perfect,
permanent results. I use self-levelling epoxy clear
finish available at Lowes and other hardware stores.

Remove the panel and remove its instruments. Make
labels from paper, plastic stick-on labels, purchased
transfers, or whatever.

Lay panel on top of a cardboard box and shim bottom
of box so that the panel is PERFECTLY level in all
directions. Put labels in place. Check level three
times to make sure. (Cardboard box should have newspapers
spread widely underneath to catch all drips)

Mix finish according to directions and pour onto panel,
spreading as evenly as possible during pouring. Do
not brush.

Pass a propane torch back and forth about 6' - 8' above
the wet finish until bubbles dissipate. Be careful
not to get too close, or hesitate in moving back and
forth. Either can damage the finish.

Let sit until finish sets (24 hrs?) Clean out instrument
holes and screw holes with an Exacto knife. Labels
under this finish will not deteriorate. The panel
will be smooth and shiny; it looks exceptionally good
on the rare wood veneer I glued to my panel.

At 14:18 31 March 2004, Todd Pattist wrote:
Eric Greenwell wrote:

Clear 2' wide
packaging tape is thin and easily applied to the top
side, then cut to
size. It seems durable in my glider, as does clear
'Contact' shelf
paper, which works well when both dimensions exceed
2'.

Two seasons of sun on the clear packing tape I've used
seems
to cause a separation between the printed label and
the
tape. I can peel the tape off easily and it separates
at
all the edges by itself. I've found the clear Contact
shelf
paper to work better. Perhaps it's the tape or ink
I used.

Todd Pattist - 'WH' Ventus C
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)

Old March 31st 04, 05:03 PM
Eric Greenwell

Todd Pattist wrote:
Eric Greenwell wrote:

Clear 2" wide
packaging tape is thin and easily applied to the top side, then cut to
size. It seems durable in my glider, as does clear "Contact" shelf
paper, which works well when both dimensions exceed 2".

Two seasons of sun on the clear packing tape I've used seems
to cause a separation between the printed label and the
tape. I can peel the tape off easily and it separates at
all the edges by itself. I've found the clear Contact shelf
paper to work better. Perhaps it's the tape or ink I used.

The clear Contact has survived years on signs in the trailer, and on the
glider. It seems very good. I haven't used the (brand unknown) packing
tape as long. It might be weather conditions, too.

Maybe there is a new market here for W&W and K&G: high quality Tesa
packing tape (1 roll, good for about 400 gliders) and 12" squares of
clear Contact (good for one glider) or a roll (good for 87 gliders, or
laminating one Flight Manual, so it doesn't dissolve when your water
ballast leaks into the baggage compartment where it is kept!).

--
-----