FAA Advice request: Plus a GlaStar note

Old April 4th 05, 04:00 AM
Tim Hickey

Default FAA Advice request: Plus a GlaStar note

A question for the group, and a note to the group for a friend:
My question has to do with my having an experience with a detached
retina. From what I read on AOPA and other web sites, I am obligated
to send paperwork from my doctor to the FAA for consideration. I have
been told by AOPA that this issue is beyond what a local medical
examiner can approve. That being said, we all know that there is a
good way and a wrong way to convey this type of information to the
FAA. Have any of you been down this road? If you have, and know the
right words to say, please let me know. I have every reason to be
optimistic, as the affected part of the eye was way on the edge of the
field of vision, as opposed to being in the center, and I am now
recovering from eye surgery that repaired the detached part. I should
add that the detachment was quite small and the recovery seems to be
going quiet well. So, any guidance on this issue will be most
appreciated.
Now, the note: I have a very good friend that just finished, last
year, a GlaStar kit. He is a retired tool and die maker, and does
exceptional work. He also has a Luscombe that he flys. He says that
his wallet and hanger will not support three airplanes, as he wants to
start another project. If you are looking for an exceptional GlaStar,
email him at or 636-462-2143.

Thank You

Zenith CH-300 Driver.
Old April 4th 05, 01:38 PM
UltraJohn

Tim Hickey wrote:

A question for the group, and a note to the group for a friend:
My question has to do with my having an experience with a detached
retina.

My suggestion is to look very closely at the type of flying you intend to
do. If you are only a recreational type pilot (not license)exerciselive
with the restrictions of the Sport Pilot then DO NOT under any
circumstances take the medical or notify the FAA. You only have to notify
the FAA if you exercise the privileges of you PPL. If you just let your
medical expire you can still fly SP and self certify that your vision is
good, as long as you can pass your drivers license vision test.

If you decide to go along with the medical route to keep your PPL active
then prepare for a lot of red tape. Get a statement from the FAA of exactly
what test and requirements they want before you submit it the first time.
It takes 3 months to get your Special Issuance back and if they require any
additional information they will let you know and it will be near the end
of the 3 months, then when you send them that information the put you at
the back of the line and it takes another 3 months. A very poor way of
doing things but thats how they do it.

Make ABSOLUTELY sure you can pass before sending anything in!!!! If the deny
it for any reason and you don't win an appeal you will lose your medical
(hence license) forever and you won't even be able to fly SP. You'd be left
with Ultralights only.

I've gone through this with an angioplasty and stent. I also had LASIK
surgery which is totally elective and not "threatening" I had to have about
15 special eye test done by my doctor to clear that one , luckily that was
a one time shot and it doesn't recure, unlike mytest for the angioplasty.
good luck Tim
John