chart heads-up

Old September 29th 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose[_1_]

Default chart heads-up

To get back into practice I fired up MSFS 2002 and grabbed a random (out
of date) chart to fly. It was the Bangor BGR ILS 33 approach (amdt 10B
03079, regular NOAA chart). So I gave the chart a quick glance, set up
the nav frequencies as listed in the chart, and went flying. It took a
few tries to get to fly right (the joystick needed calibration, I had to
re-remember where the settings all were...) but once on the approach, I
found the ILS needle was not agreeing with the ADF (for the LOM). IT
wasn't really agreeing with reality either, as confirmed by checking the
map view - it seemed like I was getting reverse sensing, and no glide
slope, and the chart is for a normal ILS. There definately was a
localizer, because I saw that needle on takeoff and coming around for
the hold in lieu (done with the ADF).

Well, on the chart, there is a balloon indicating the localizer
frequency of 109.5, and also (be careful!) the nearby VOR frequency of
114.8 (which I had in the standby). Nope, that wasn't the mistake, I
had 109.5 in the dial, I was on the right approach... since it was a sim
(and I was still adjusting the joystick and such) I continued down,
following the needle into neverland, then as an experiment crossing the
approach course (and landing, across the runway, while I was doing
that). Yep, reverse sensing, but no clue why. So, I studied the chart
and a few others.

There is an ILS 15 which uses the same frequency. As I understand it,
both can have the same freq, since only one is used at a time. Then I
saw it. On the upper left of the chart, it says LOC I-BGR 110.3, but on
the balloon, it says 109.5. So, which is it?

MSFS 2002 has 110.3.

A call to Bangor confirmed that the ILS 33 was once 110.3, but now it
has switched (both approaches - 15 and 33) to 109.5.

1: Look at the =entire= chart when briefing it!!

2: Is the chart in error, or is there a reason to have both frequencies
on the chart as depicted? (I can't think of any).

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).
Old September 29th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Natalie

Jose wrote:

2: Is the chart in error, or is there a reason to have both frequencies
on the chart as depicted? (I can't think of any).

Sounds like it was a charting error. The current plate only lists the
correct 109.5 frequency both in the plan view and in the briefing
strip.

If you had been flying a real aircraft (or a better simulator) you would
have been wise to check the identifier on the station before using it
for navigation.

This is especially important when they use the same frequency for
alternate ends. They *WILL* have different identifiers for the
different transmitter.
Old September 29th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose[_1_]

If you had been flying a real aircraft (or a better simulator) you would
have been wise to check the identifier on the station before using it
for navigation.

I did check, and in fact they did not match. I flew it anyway because
it was just a sim, I saw the needle move, and I could figure it all out
later after the crash. (Looking at the ILS 15 chart, the code I did
hear matched the IJVH for that localizer)

Had it been real life, I would have gone missed, or ended up on the news.

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).

peculiar approach chart Dave Butler Instrument Flight Rules 11 May 27th 06 11:42 PM
Mystery lines on NY VFR terminal chart Ron Garret Piloting 3 May 22nd 05 05:07 AM
WAC Chart Images on line? Rich Owning 5 March 22nd 04 11:17 PM
King Videos: Jeppesen Chart Review (2 tapes on eBay) Approaches & Enroute, Departures, & Arrivals Cecil E. Chapman Products 0 November 11th 03 05:14 PM