Thrown out of an FBO...

Old November 10th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Thrown out of an FBO...

Awh, 'ell... I always figured that Honeck was a funny name for an Indian or
Pakistani...

Actually, many Pakistani motel owners are named "Jay" -- but their last
name is usually "Patel".

The Patel family has quietly and inexorably bought up nearly every
econobox motel in the country, one by one, simply by bringing more
family members over as properties became available.

In many cases their motels are quite excellent. In a seemingly equal
number of cases, their motels are simply appalling. I've not taken to
time to determine why, any more than I've figured out why 2 out of 3
restaurants suck and usually fail within three years.

The trick is to finding a good, privately owned HOTEL (not motel) is to
find the ones that are also members of their bed & breakfast guilds, as
we are. They are few and far between, but denote a level of excellence
that far exceeds the average MOtel.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 10th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Geez Jay,,, are you sure the jokes were not not about flip flops and
cut offs and this guy wasn't Steven P McNicolls???

I can almost guarantee that Steven would NOT be rude in any way, just
on reading his posts for all these years. Although his debate tactics
drive me crazy, he *is* a perfect gentleman, most of the time.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 10th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Exactly what "business" did he drive off? Did you buy any avgas?

Not this time. However, airports are publically owned for a reason --
their primary impact is that they bring lots of dollars into the local
economy. Thus, the "business" this guy drove off was the $30 we spent
at the local restaurant, the $15 we spent at the local gas station
(filling HIS tank) plus any future business we could provide to his
FBO.

To better illustrate this effect, an Iowa State University study (done
in 2000) of Iowa airports shows that our Iowa City airport directly and
INDIRECTLY brings $5.7 million dollars per year into the local economy.
That's a nice chunk of change, and is made up of hundreds
(thousands?) of little guys like me (and Mary) flying in.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 10th 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I was with a drunken group that got thrown out of a porno shop in Amsterdam
for laughing at the merchandise. Saw three video titles with the word "virgin"
in them all with a picture of the same actress on the front. The owner
said if we couldn't be serious we'd have to leave.

Serious? In a porno shop? With a bunch of guys?

Wow, your story sure beats mine -- OR the landfill story!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 10th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Am I missing something here?

Mr. Honeck only purchases mogas.

Untrue.

Mogas is only available for sale at airports that are run by
enlightened FBO owners -- and they (and mogas) are few and far between.

--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 10th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Al G[_1_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
I was with a drunken group that got thrown out of a porno shop in
Amsterdam
for laughing at the merchandise. Saw three video titles with the word
"virgin"
in them all with a picture of the same actress on the front. The owner
said if we couldn't be serious we'd have to leave.

Serious? In a porno shop? With a bunch of guys?

Wow, your story sure beats mine -- OR the landfill story!

Jay, you're right. I concede.

Al G

Old November 10th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

This isn't a racial issue. Charter pilots are from every demographic and if the statement is true then it's true.

It has nothing to do with race. Race (in my example) is just a stand-in
for =any= group which is percieved as being less worthy. In that, race
is no different than occupation.

And if it's true for a racial group, why is it not ok to say so?

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).
Old November 10th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

On the other hand, weekend 100$ burger shoppers often bring zero$ but
benefit from courtesy cars just the same. I fill 'em up too but most of
them have disappeared from around here. Gas is part of the exchange it
just goes the other way.

Am I missing something here?

We have designed our hotel to be a destination for private pilots. As
such, our suites have aviation themes, private jacuzzis, full kitchens,
a delivered breakfast, full kitchens, free internet, a massage
therapist, workout room, pool, etc...

All of these niceties result in a private pilot who brings his gal to
the inn for a weekend getaway, and will drop between $150 and $400 for
the weekend. In exchange, we are more than happy to provide them with
free pick-up/drop-off service, and free use of our full-sized Ford
Econoline conversion van. All we ask is that they put a little gas in
it.

Charter pilots, on the other hand, often ask for "day" rates (which we
won't offer), and arrive/depart at unpredictable times, making
pick-up/drop-off service difficult. Despite this, we bend ourselves
into a pretzel for them, because we love ALL pilots, and know the
plight these (usually) young guys are facing. They are quite literally
making NO money, their life-style sucks, and half the time they don't
even know what city they're in when they wake up in the morning.

They *always* ask for the cheapest possible rooms -- and are always
thrilled when they discover that they get to use our $35K van for free,
and that we deliver breakfast to their suite in the morning -- even
though they're staying in our cheapest suite. Every last one of them
leaves our place grateful and thankful -- but every last one of them
never, ever, EVER puts a drop of gas in the courtesy van.

Perhaps it's because of the phenomenon you've described, Bill -- they
are so used to being the guys who get a "free ride" at the FBO because
their company bought 700 gallons of Jet-A, that they simply can't get
their minds around an airport business like ours (which is rarer than
hen's teeth, for sure!) where they are NOT the big honchos at the
ranch?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 10th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

What I am saying is that people should be able to express their
opinions freely without fearing negative reactions or reprimand from
others.

.... like saying "in my experience, Jews are all cheap *******s"?

Does it even matter if, in your experience, it's true?

Jose
Old November 10th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

We have heard one side of this story. Jay Honeck may be the most
credible person in the world, but the FBO guy may also have a side to
this event.
Just because you like Honeck, and hate FBO's like he seems to, doesn't
mean Honeck is pearly white and above reproach here.

Phil

Now I "hate FBOs"?! Good God, Phil, where did you ever get *that*
idea?

I don't mind you guys chiming in with your opinions -- after all, I
chose to post my experience here, opening myself up to comments from
all side of the issue -- but please don't make up stuff like this.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA