Swizzle Stick Screwdrivers

Old August 3rd 09, 05:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

Default Swizzle Stick Screwdrivers

I am looking for what we used to call "swizzle sticks." They are
screwdrivers for adjusting multi-turn trim pots. They were plastic
sticks with metal blades which were shrouded in a plastic sleeve to keep
them from slipping off the screw. Any idea where to get them or what the
proper term is?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old August 3rd 09, 06:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jeff[_4_]

Dan wrote in :

I am looking for what we used to call "swizzle sticks." They are
screwdrivers for adjusting multi-turn trim pots. They were plastic
sticks with metal blades which were shrouded in a plastic sleeve to keep
them from slipping off the screw. Any idea where to get them or what the
proper term is?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Look for a trimpot tool. Here is the first one Google lists:
http://www.wassco.com/Products/Anti-...02-758608.aspx
Old August 3rd 09, 06:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

Jeff wrote:
Dan wrote in :

I am looking for what we used to call "swizzle sticks." They are
screwdrivers for adjusting multi-turn trim pots. They were plastic
sticks with metal blades which were shrouded in a plastic sleeve to keep
them from slipping off the screw. Any idea where to get them or what the
proper term is?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Look for a trimpot tool. Here is the first one Google lists:
http://www.wassco.com/Products/Anti-...02-758608.aspx

That's close enough to the critter I used many years ago. Thank you.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old August 3rd 09, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
vaughn[_2_]

"Dan" wrote in message
I am looking for what we used to call "swizzle sticks." They are
screwdrivers for adjusting multi-turn trim pots.

I have been using those things for about 50 years, and never heard them
called "swizzle sticks". They come in many shapes, but generically, I have
always known them as "tuning tools" and sometimes "dittle sticks"

Vaughn

Old August 3rd 09, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

vaughn wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message
I am looking for what we used to call "swizzle sticks." They are
screwdrivers for adjusting multi-turn trim pots.

I have been using those things for about 50 years, and never heard them
called "swizzle sticks". They come in many shapes, but generically, I have
always known them as "tuning tools" and sometimes "dittle sticks"

Vaughn

I used them in the early 1970s so maybe I am not remembering right.
At home I have been using a long blade screwdriver with a sleeve made
from heat shrink tubing. The problem is the heat shrink tubing isn't all
that rigid and can get mushy.

As an aside the heat shrink tubing comes in handy when installing
roll pins. Even with the proper type of punch it's handy to slide some
tube over the end of the punch to hold the pin until it is driven.

Old avionics rule: when in doubt, tune for maximum flame and minimum
smoke.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old August 4th 09, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

Bryan Martin wrote:
In article , Dan
wrote:

I am looking for what we used to call "swizzle sticks." They are
screwdrivers for adjusting multi-turn trim pots. They were plastic
sticks with metal blades which were shrouded in a plastic sleeve to keep
them from slipping off the screw. Any idea where to get them or what the
proper term is?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Do a Google search for trim pot tool or trimmer adjustment tool.

Digikey seems to carry several types.

Thank you. It's a lot easier if one knows the proper term. You can
guess what would happen if one searches for "dykes" instead of diagonal
cutters.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old August 4th 09, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flash

"Dan" wrote in message
Bryan Martin wrote:
In article , Dan
wrote:

I am looking for what we used to call "swizzle sticks." They are
screwdrivers for adjusting multi-turn trim pots. They were plastic
sticks with metal blades which were shrouded in a plastic sleeve to keep
them from slipping off the screw. Any idea where to get them or what the
proper term is?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Do a Google search for trim pot tool or trimmer adjustment tool.

Digikey seems to carry several types.

Thank you. It's a lot easier if one knows the proper term. You can guess
what would happen if one searches for "dykes" instead of diagonal cutters.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Dan, you weren't at 4520th AEMS on Nellis in the 60's were you? They were
called swizzle sticks then, too, among other things. But the issue ones were
a lot slimmer, with only a short, knurled section at midpoint. There was one
little trimmer deep inside (I think it was the ) ARN-14 that, as a line
adjustment, required the full use of the small end. More often than not,
you wound up adjusting it the wrong way, then destroyed the little poor
little swizzle-stick turning it back to the other limit.

Flash

Old August 4th 09, 07:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

Flash wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message
Bryan Martin wrote:
In article , Dan
wrote:

[...]

My experience with swizzle sticks was as a civilian between my Army,
1972 - 1973, and Air Force, 1974 - 1994, time. I don't recall ever using
them in the Air Force. I tried describing them to the powers that be,
but all they ever gave us were the ones without the shroud.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old August 4th 09, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering - JIm

That's because the proper spelling is "dikes", not "dykes". You get a lot
of stuff about Holland, but you also get the cutters.

Take a piece of 1/8" welding rod. Grind the tip to a screwdriver. Shrink
sleeve (teflon if you can find it) over it. If the shrink sleeve gets all
gnarly, cut it off and shrink another piece on. If the steel gets all
gnarly, you have one hell of a trimpot on your hands.

You want a handle? Take a quarter inch round hunk of lucite or plexi. Heat
the welding rod red hot. Plunge it into the plastic. There you have it.

Jim

Old August 4th 09, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

"Dan" wrote in message

Thank you. It's a lot easier if one knows the proper term. You can guess
what would happen if one searches for "dykes" instead of diagonal cutters.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

As I said, I have been using a screwdriver with heat shrink tubing. I
have decided to get the proper tool.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Trac Stick [email protected] Soaring 8 October 22nd 07 12:56 AM
Big Stick R. J. \(Bob\) Van Horn Piloting 5 September 4th 07 06:54 PM
Convince me to stick with it . . . Gary G Piloting 22 December 8th 05 03:45 PM
Stick on Bi-focals MC Soaring 0 December 6th 04 03:24 AM
The F-16 control stick? Christopher Military Aviation 13 September 22nd 03 10:18 AM