Pic of DC-8 that landed on fire in PHL

Old February 10th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Pic of DC-8 that landed on fire in PHL

In article .com,
Andrew Sarangan wrote:

How much acetone are we talking about? Remember, nail polish remover is
mostly acetone, and airlines allow 18 ounces for each hazardous
toiletry items.

It was much more than that; I would estimate it was about a liter-size
bottle of the stuff. I'm not sure how full it was when it entered the
bag, but it was half full when we found it and re-tightened the cap on
it. Ugh, it smelled *strong* -- even the outside of the canvas bag was
looked like it had been sitting in a puddle.

That is over half a quart. Why anyone needs that much
nail polish remover, I don't know.

I was wondering that myself; now I wish I had asked. Maybe she worked
at a nail salon? Guess I'll never know. :-)

But it appears to be within airline
policy (at least based on what I saw on SWA website).

I don't believe that's the case; it certainly isn't at my airline. Our
page says, "Items such as .... flammable liquids and solids ...are
considered hazardous. Other common items which, in limited quantities,
may be carried within baggage include hairspray, perfume, and certain
medicines which are necessary for customer use during their journey."

I don't think acetone really fits under that description either,
although it's slightly less restrictive than SWA's. They spell it
right out:

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/chemicals.html

"Southwest Airlines does not allow Customers to carry the following
items in checked or carryon baggage:

* Aerosols (unless medicine or toiletry less than 16 fluid oz.)
* Flammable solvents..."

And acetone is, most definitely, a flammable solvent.

In more general terms, the (now-controlling) TSA permitted/prohibited
items list, it allows "Personal care or toiletries with aerosols, in
limited quantities (such as hairsprays, deodorants)" in both checked
and carry-on luggage.

But under the "Flammable Items" list at the end, every single item is
prohibited, including paint thinners and bleach (under the next
section).

You can check that list out he
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interweb/a..._Prohibited_Fa
cts.doc

--
Garner R. Miller
ATP/CFII/MEI
Old February 10th 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Check he http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/toiletry.html
where it says hazardous toiletries can be carried if they are less than
18 ounces each.
Nail polish remover is specifically mentioned.

Old February 10th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article .com,
Andrew Sarangan wrote:

Check he http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/toiletry.html
where it says hazardous toiletries can be carried if they are less than
18 ounces each.
Nail polish remover is specifically mentioned.

Interesting; guess they have radically differing policies at different
airlines. Seems funny that Southwest won't allow a dog on board, but
acetone's OK. grin
Old February 10th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"When it absolutely has to get charbroiled overnight!"

Old February 10th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Regarding Nail Polish remover and acetone.

Its is my understanding that much of today's nail polish remover is
made of something other than acetone, unlike some years ago, when
acetone was the major component. I know one can still get the acetone
variety, though.

Old February 10th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

[Cue the Twilight Zone theme]
Strange. I only posted once and it showed up twice. 21 minutes
difference and the source view shows them as two distinct messages.