Can you ID this? Attitude Indicator / Artificial Horizon

Old July 21st 10, 08:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
ClarkMills

Default Can you ID this? Attitude Indicator / Artificial Horizon

Do you know which model of aircraft this came from?

http://remote.kiwi.gen.nz/ArtificalHorizon

I'm a geek, I bought this, I was going to wire it up as a geek-toy but
upon
looking at it, it's way too cool / old / delicate for me to muck
around with.
I don't know anything about it's history, it looks like war period
(that's WWII .
It looks like there used to be a metal skin that's been peeled off
(not by me).
Also I popped the shroud off the back to see if I could identify the
supply
lines and noticed the ~12 conductor "wiper" contact. That's the point
at
which I decided it was way too delicate to mess with.

If you want more pictures, even out of curiosity, of anything
(the wiper contacts for example) I'll do them for you.

If you can enlighten me about it's history that would be great.
Otherwise, enjoy the view.

Dimensions: 5.25" wide, 5" high, ~9" deep.

Comments: Notice that the sky is "grey" not blue. This is not fading,
it's like that. Note also that the ground is black.
There is no "plane" wire symbol on the glass.
Old July 21st 10, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Ron Wanttaja[_2_]

ClarkMills wrote:
Do you know which model of aircraft this came from?

http://remote.kiwi.gen.nz/ArtificalHorizon

I've got one that's almost identical, except mine has the airplane symbol:

http://www.wanttaja.com/ai.jpg

These are "ball" type AIs, my presumption is that they date from the
50's or 60's rather than WWII.

Your missing metal skin probably held the data plate. My dataplate is says:

INDICATOR - ATTITUDE REMOTE

Type MM-1
Spec MIL-I-25022
MFRS Model No 978K
MFRS Part No 100990-01
Series B-1
MFRS Serial No AF53-2735

The manufacturer is listed as "Lear, Incorporated."

However, as the AI was built to a Military Standard, the similar
appearance of yours doesn't mean it was also built by Lear.

My guess is that the Serial Number starting with 'AF53' means that it
was made for the Air Force with a contract date of 1953.

There's a separate tag for what I presume is an overhaul record.
Company name "Universal Dynamic Scientific & Engineering Consulting
Inc.", and says, "This Item Warranted for 3 Months" with the "3"
hand-written in ink.

The "Date of Overhaul" is very hard to read, but the center two digits
are "96" and the last one might be a 1 or a 7. So I'm guessing it was
overhauled in 1961 or 1967.

Ron Wanttaja
Old July 22nd 10, 05:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
ClarkMills

Hi Ron.

Excellent info there, thank you VERY much.

I'll set about trying to figure out what I have given your
information.

Many thanks again & kind regards... Clark

SNEFA Artificial Horizon nimbus Soaring 2 December 21st 08 10:00 AM
Electronic Artificial Horizon Stuart Kinnear Soaring 14 May 3rd 07 06:56 PM
artificial horizon DavidH Home Built 14 March 14th 07 08:47 AM
Artificial horizon pinout? [email protected] Home Built 3 July 16th 06 02:02 PM
Artificial Horizon testing Rory O'Conor Soaring 6 April 5th 05 11:48 PM