Lidle crash: who is wrong?

Old October 17th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Default Lidle crash: who is wrong?

Don Tuite wrote in
:

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 22:50:14 GMT, Judah wrote:

This may have been covered in another post that I skipped, but I'll
make the question short, and you seem like a good guy to ask.

Thanks. But are you sure you know me well enough to make that claim?

If the VFR corridor is mainly to save the LGA controllers the
distraction of talking to planes on floats and helos using that short
strecth of the East River, and the only thing you can do without
busting the LGA bravo is fly up and make a U-turn, why does anybody do
that? Are they still burning that stuff under the 59th St bridge?

I'm not sure. The only time I ever did it was on a return trip to White
Plains from I think Atlantic City when I was cleared that way. They either
give you the over-water route or over-land route and the over land route
takes you way out of the way...

We've become a bunch of cowardly lions...

Sixth-graders packing heat? Scares *me*.

My sixth-grader doesn't pack heat. But it's OK to be scared of one who
does. Should they close the school system down because of it?

New Yorkers (and Americans in general) used to talk about how tough we are,
being a super-power and all. Cowboy Bush runs around making all his threats
and acts like he doesn't have to answer to anybody. Then when it comes time
to execute he botches the job, dumps all our resources into the wrong war,
and loses all credibility. Now America looks like a bunch of irrational
yahoos who could go off like a time-bomb at any moment, exploding on
whichever "enemy" the boss thinks is the bad guy today. He thinks he is
making this country feel safer and stronger, but he just snorted away too
many brain cells.

Deep down, it seems we're all just looking for a little bit of c-c-c-c-
courage. In fact, we're so afraid of another terrorist attack that
everybody goes into a panic when they see a little bit of smoke in a
building. The first comment after every accident, explosion or flatulent
emmission is, "Authorities believe it doesn't look like a terrorist
attack."

America. What a country.
Old October 17th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Tuite

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 00:29:57 GMT, Judah wrote:

Don Tuite wrote in
:

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 22:50:14 GMT, Judah wrote:

This may have been covered in another post that I skipped, but I'll
make the question short, and you seem like a good guy to ask.

Thanks. But are you sure you know me well enough to make that claim?

I meant you are familiar with the terrain.

If the VFR corridor is mainly to save the LGA controllers the
distraction of talking to planes on floats and helos using that short
strecth of the East River, and the only thing you can do without
busting the LGA bravo is fly up and make a U-turn, why does anybody do
that? Are they still burning that stuff under the 59th St bridge?

I'm not sure. The only time I ever did it was on a return trip to White
Plains from I think Atlantic City when I was cleared that way. They either
give you the over-water route or over-land route and the over land route
takes you way out of the way...

That's different. I meant like, you fly up the Hudson at a certain
altitude any you self-announce, and you start at, say Staten Island,
and you wind up at Tarrytown, and you've gone from here to there and
seen sights. You go up the East River a little bit and turn around,
and what's the point? It's an architectural revelation?

We've become a bunch of cowardly lions...

Sixth-graders packing heat? Scares *me*.

My sixth-grader doesn't pack heat. But it's OK to be scared of one who
does. Should they close the school system down because of it?

But now we've got loonies want to arm the kids so they can "take down"
the school invaders. Or arm the coaches or the football team or
something. I'd say "Welcome to Dodge," except in Dodge, they made the
cowboys turn in their hardware when they got to town.

Don

Old October 17th 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Don Tuite wrote in
:

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 00:29:57 GMT, Judah wrote:

Thanks. But are you sure you know me well enough to make that claim?

I meant you are familiar with the terrain.

I know. Hence the smiley.

That's different. I meant like, you fly up the Hudson at a certain
altitude any you self-announce, and you start at, say Staten Island,
and you wind up at Tarrytown, and you've gone from here to there and
seen sights. You go up the East River a little bit and turn around,
and what's the point? It's an architectural revelation?

I can't really see the point either. I guess there might be some ego lift
in flying over the bridges (Brooklyn Bridge, Manhattan Bridge, Williamsburg
Bridge, and Queensboro Bridge) and they are pretty and all. There's
Roosevelt Island, and the Tram. But the "lane" seems just too curvy and
narrow to sightsee while you fly - especially if there is any other traffic
in there. I don't think the skyline view is any better than from the
Hudson, and I've always felt it's just not worth the risk.

We've become a bunch of cowardly lions...

Sixth-graders packing heat? Scares *me*.

My sixth-grader doesn't pack heat. But it's OK to be scared of one who
does. Should they close the school system down because of it?

But now we've got loonies want to arm the kids so they can "take down"
the school invaders. Or arm the coaches or the football team or
something. I'd say "Welcome to Dodge," except in Dodge, they made the
cowboys turn in their hardware when they got to town.

Based totally in irrational fear. Cowardly lions now teaching their cubs to
roar loud too. Amazing. My wife got my son a cell phone for his 11th
birthday over the summer. I was concerned that he might not be mature
enough to use it properly. I can't imagine trusting him with a lethal
weapon.
Old October 19th 06, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dana M. Hague

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 13:02:05 GMT, Judah wrote:
...My wife got my son a cell phone for his 11th
birthday over the summer. I was concerned that he might not be mature
enough to use it properly. I can't imagine trusting him with a lethal
weapon.

I guess it depends on the kid... I gave my daughter a shotgun for her
12th birthday; neither my wife nor I had any doubt that she would use
it responsibly. Raised some eyebrows when she told classmates and
teachers what she got for her birthday, though...

-Dana

If replying by email, please make the obvious changes.
If the government doesn't trust us with our guns, why should we trust them with theirs?
Old October 19th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Dana M. Hague d(dash)m(dash)hague(at)comcast(dot)net writes:

I guess it depends on the kid... I gave my daughter a shotgun for her
12th birthday; neither my wife nor I had any doubt that she would use
it responsibly. Raised some eyebrows when she told classmates and
teachers what she got for her birthday, though...

In today's climate, I'm surprised she wasn't arrested and detained
without charge.

Old October 19th 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

Blasto wrote:
Blanche wrote:
Next time you have a day or two out of the hospital, let us know.
Someone in the area would be delighted to take you for a flight.
Up the west side of Manhattan, of course. Or across Long Island.
Or further west.

Blanche, bless hearts like yours.

I'm actually at home in a high-rise on the Jersey side (although my
last hospital stay had a view of the "Lidle crash building"). I'm very
touched by your offer and have no doubt you and/or those you mention
would make good on it. Without getting into details, let's just say I
have certain permanent surgical complications that rule out such a
trip. Even if I felt I had the strength and wanted to trade the
sickness for the experience, I'd be too embarrassed to cause anyone to
take a slop bucket to their shiny Cessna or Cirrus. It's ok. I was
blessed with a cinematic imagination, and seeing you out my window is
almost like flying myself.

Jim:

I always have a good supply of barf bags. And my cherokee is not
terribly shiny -- haven't waxed it in ages.

Old October 19th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Dana M. Hague (dash dash at dot) wrote:

I guess it depends on the kid... I gave my daughter a shotgun for her
12th birthday

Great... but didn't she ask for a cell phone?? g

Old October 20th 06, 08:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

On 19 Oct 2006 10:44:10 -0700, "Kingfish"
wrote:

Dana M. Hague (dash dash at dot) wrote:

I guess it depends on the kid... I gave my daughter a shotgun for her
12th birthday

Great... but didn't she ask for a cell phone?? g

I received a 22 cal rifle for my 12th and a 16 ga shotgun for my 14th.
birthday. No I didn't ask for a cell phone or a computer.:-))
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com