PowerFlarm Warnings Display Comparison

Old November 22nd 14, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

Default PowerFlarm Warnings Display Comparison

- maybe better to learn the clock. ;-)

Considering that some schools in our area are not teaching cursive writing and I recently came across some kids 15 years old who can't do their own signature, this may be a stretch.... sigh

Old November 22nd 14, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Don't have one on hand but I can record the test alert tomorrow and post.

$14.95 video production fee
$5.15 youtube upload fee
8.25% sales tax
Various licensing and regulatory fees

Your lookin at roughly $32.00 total but it's well worth it. Cash, money order or free soaring stuff from craggy aero would be nice.

Scott
Old November 23rd 14, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Saturday, November 22, 2014 5:15:04 AM UTC-5, Z Goudie wrote:

Remember, if you're flying too slowly into a strong headwind in wave and
thus proceeding backwards over the surface of the earth, when Flarm calls a
conflict at 12 o'clock it's behind you....

So more generally, 12 o'clock on the Flarm warning circle aligns with bearing rather than heading?
Old November 23rd 14, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, November 22, 2014 10:03:18 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Saturday, November 22, 2014 5:15:04 AM UTC-5, Z Goudie wrote:

Remember, if you're flying too slowly into a strong headwind in wave and
thus proceeding backwards over the surface of the earth, when Flarm calls a
conflict at 12 o'clock it's behind you....

So more generally, 12 o'clock on the Flarm warning circle aligns with bearing rather than heading?

You are kidding, I hope.
UH
Old November 23rd 14, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Saturday, November 22, 2014 9:03:18 PM UTC-6, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Saturday, November 22, 2014 5:15:04 AM UTC-5, Z Goudie wrote:

Remember, if you're flying too slowly into a strong headwind in wave and
thus proceeding backwards over the surface of the earth, when Flarm calls a
conflict at 12 o'clock it's behind you....

So more generally, 12 o'clock on the Flarm warning circle aligns with bearing rather than heading?

OK, time for some basic FLARM theory:

FLARM uses GPS and pressure altitude exclusively; it has no heading input. So the warnings it sends are based on pressure altitude, GPS position and GPS track - and it assumes you are moving forward. It has no way of knowing which way your fuselage is pointing.

So FLARM warnings are aligned to your TRACK, not your HEADING. And in most cases, this is sufficient, as you are not trying to nail down a bearing to another glider within a few degrees - each clock sector is 30 degrees, remember.

That's why a FLARM display on a moving map (like an Oudie) is nice - it will be based on the GPS position of the other FLARM equipped gliders, so even if you are backing up in wave, it will show their true position relative to you (although, you will appear to be flying backwards on your Oudie!).

So, to summarize, the displayed BEARING to a FLARM target is referenced to your TRACK, not your HEADING, so if there is a lot of drift due to wind, you will have to compensate for it.

(Any FLARM-smarter guys out there, please correct me if I have got it wrong!)

Kirk
66
Old November 23rd 14, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Saturday, November 22, 2014 4:36:57 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Clearnav allows personalized alerts. You can replace the wav files with whatever works for you. Highly recommended!

For example, my 5 o'clock low alert is "traffic, right side, down low, 5 o'clock". It gets me looking right with no delay, down and then finally I scan forward or back based on the clock verbiage but I'm already immediately looking in the right general direction based on the first two audibles.

I would estimate (at least for me) that it reduces the time to pinpoint where to look by half. Course I still struggle with the big hand and the little hand so your mileage may vary.

But you still gotta know the clock to name the .wavs correctly :-)

Here's a 30 second clip of Flarm warning on CN. CN supplies the voice, the beeping you hear is from a Butterfly 57mm display that's also in my panel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APMTBfz6XZ0

-Evan Ludeman for CNi
Old November 23rd 14, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Kidding of course!

Here is a quick video...free of charge.

http://youtu.be/PSQ9UzKYWxU

The list of all the audible collisions is labeled clearly so its easy to re record each.
Old November 25th 14, 01:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

What is all that printed material below the ClearNav. Not instructions I hope...
Old November 25th 14, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Instructions but not for the Clearnav.

The list on the left details exactly how to make big money day trading in the stock market. The list on the right contains all the reasons one should not post videos of their panel to RAS.

PowerFlarm display Brad[_2_] Soaring 4 July 27th 12 07:15 AM
PowerFLARM Brick and PowerFLARM Remote Display Manuals Available Paul Remde Soaring 30 May 25th 12 11:58 PM
New PowerFLARM display? Andy[_1_] Soaring 1 November 23rd 11 10:04 PM
Display for PowerFLARM brick Andy[_1_] Soaring 4 May 10th 11 02:32 PM
NEW PANEL DISPLAY COMPARISON Richard[_9_] Soaring 11 September 15th 09 08:30 AM