McCain in '08

Old July 15th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,news.groups
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Default Proposal For A New Rec.Aviation Newsgroup.

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 06:44:34 -0700, Sam Spade wrote in
6j6ug.782$_M.147@fed1read04:

So, form a group called rec.faa.regulations.debate

My suggestion was in jest. I have no idea about the protocol of the
Usenet. Does "rec" stand for recreation?

Yes.

The rec.* newsgroups are one of the Big-8. Here are
the eight hierarchies:

comp.* Computer topics, both hardware and software.
news.* Administration of the Big 8, as well as about Usenet and
Netnews in general, and related topics.
sci.* Science and technology.
humanities.* The humanities.
rec.* Recreational topics, including music, sports, games,
outdoor recreation, hobbies, crafts, ...
soc.* Socializing, society, and social issues.
talk.* Endless discussion, largely about politics.
misc.* A mixture of newsgroups that don’t fit the other
7 hierarchies. Many are about the practical aspects of everyday life.

If so, there is nothing
recreational about regulatory combat. ;-)

Heh heh. There's a lot of "regulatory combat" going on in news.groups
right now. :-O

Be that as it may, I doubt that creation of a new newsgroup will
protect r.a.p. from off-topic material. People like to talk with
their friends about all kinds of things, even if the topics don't fit into
the charter of a newsgroup.

Marty
--
Member of the Big-8 Management Board (B8MB), such as it is.
The B8MB is a work in progress.
Old July 15th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,news.groups
2Rowdy

I was reading , made
by the entity known as Henrietta K Thomas, that requests spam to be
sent to and I became inspired,

1. Any new group in rec.aviation.* should start with rec.aviation.

I like this.
--
d:J0han; Certifiable me
http://www.aacity.net Citroen Newsgroup

Sig is being randomised, pls wait . . . .
Old July 15th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,news.groups
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 12:03:30 -0400, "Martin X. Moleski, SJ"
wrote in
::

I doubt that creation of a new newsgroup will
protect r.a.p. from off-topic material. People like to talk with
their friends about all kinds of things, even if the topics don't fit into
the charter of a newsgroup.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, you're saying, that because some members
of a newsgroup's readership disrespect the newsgroup's charter, and
post off-topic articles, there is no reason to make an attempt to
mitigate the issue?

Old July 15th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Flyingmonk[_1_]

Default McCain in '08

Morgans wrote:

What we need is a new group. Call it rec.aviation.politics. From the
amount of interest in discussing politics in THIS group, it ought to be a
big hit! g
--
Jim in NC

rec. "anything" is no longer available.

So I created this:

http://groups.google.com/groups/adul...ics%3Flnk%3Dli

Pilot Politics forum for us all to use.

Monk

Old July 15th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,news.groups
Brian Mailman

Larry Dighera wrote:

So, correct me if I'm wrong, you're saying, that because some members
of a newsgroup's readership disrespect the newsgroup's charter, and
post off-topic articles, there is no reason to make an attempt to
mitigate the issue?

In alt.config, the regulars run into this issue on a rather frequent basis.

We call such formations "NIMBY" groups, or "not in my backyard" because
it's someone wanting others to post in other groups.

Experience shows that NIMBY groups don't work, and netcopping to say
"now you have a group to post that in, go there" is frustrating to say
the least. The only way to get a NIMBY to work is to have the people
posting "offtopic" *want* to form their own group.

B/
Old July 15th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,news.groups
Jose[_1_]

So, correct me if I'm wrong, you're saying, that because some members
of a newsgroup's readership disrespect the newsgroup's charter, and
post off-topic articles, there is no reason to make an attempt to
mitigate the issue?

I think he means that it would =not= mitigate the issue, in fact it may
make it worse (due to crossposting and multple posting).

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 15th 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_1_]

On 15 Jul 2006 12:25:41 -0700, Flyingmonk wrote:

http://groups.google.com/groups/adul...ics%3Flnk%3Dli

whatever you did, you didn't do it on Usenet but on a website, and on
groups.google.com, one of the most spammer friendly web2news gateways I
know. Anyway: *Usenet*-users can't use this "group".

Monk

#m
--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough
Old July 15th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,news.groups
2Rowdy

I was reading , made by the
entity known as Brian Mailman, that requests spam to be sent to
and I became inspired,

We call such formations "NIMBY" groups, or "not in my backyard"
because it's someone wanting others to post in other groups.

Experience shows that NIMBY groups don't work, and netcopping to say
"now you have a group to post that in, go there" is frustrating to
say the least. The only way to get a NIMBY to work is to have the
people posting "offtopic" *want* to form their own group.

If there is sufficient offtopic it could justify a split towards a new
ontopic newsgroup.
So if soc.man is invaded with offtopic chitchat the ontopic posters
could unite, rationale and move towards soc.men.ontopic and if that's
invaded they could go towards soc.men.ontopic.ontopic
Who needs filters if the solution can be so simple.

f-up set

Old July 15th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,news.groups
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 13:05:50 -0700, Brian Mailman
wrote in ::

Larry Dighera wrote:

So, correct me if I'm wrong, you're saying, that because some members
of a newsgroup's readership disrespect the newsgroup's charter, and
post off-topic articles, there is no reason to make an attempt to
mitigate the issue?

In alt.config, the regulars run into this issue on a rather frequent basis.

We call such formations "NIMBY" groups, or "not in my backyard" because
it's someone wanting others to post in other groups.

Experience shows that NIMBY groups don't work, and netcopping to say
"now you have a group to post that in, go there" is frustrating to say
the least. The only way to get a NIMBY to work is to have the people
posting "offtopic" *want* to form their own group.

B/

I see.

So it looks like political discussion is destined to remain a fixture
in rec.aviation.piloting. I suppose, if original message thread
posters would be curious enough to preface their Subject lines with
'OT', it would facilitate filtering.

On the other hand, I wonder how many of the current
rec.aviation.piloting readership might truly desire a forum where
pilots could discuss political aviation issues with their fellows?
Old July 15th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_2_]

wrote in message
ups.com...

Umm, sorry to remind you, but it was John F. Kerry who decided to make
Vietnam
an issue and brag about his service during his four months there. Many
others
who were there during that time wished to tell their side of the story he
was
publicizing on the national stage.

He bragged about his service? Really? I must have missed that.

You must have missed his grand enterance at the Democratic National
convention, too.

Many others were there? Where would that be -- Vietnam?

Their side of what story?

Willful ignorance is most unbecoming.