McCain in '08

Old July 17th 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

Default McCain in '08

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:25:32 +0000, Larry Dighera wrote:

But I find reading their archive of Usenet article indispensable

I still miss Dejanews. It didn't go back as far (but then neither did
Google at first), but I found the query language easier to use.
Deajagoogle also makes it harder to get the proper threaded display, and
it seems to skip some headers (ie. Path).

- Andrew

Old July 17th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 02:25:26 +0000, Larry Dighera wrote:

Back in the '80's most news reading clients imposed a mandatory visit to
the news.newusers newsgroup upon their first time use, thus new users had
an opportunity to enlighten themselves about Usenet before using it.

This was pre-HTTP, recall, so anyone reading USENET was using a USENET
client (with the odd outlier using a news/mail gateway). Nowadays, people
don't need to use those clients. Thus, many don't even realize there is
such an entity as USENET operating behind the scenes of their "aviation
web forum with the funny name with lots of dots".

- Andrew

Old July 17th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,news.groups
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Default Proposal For A New Rec.Aviation Newsgroup.

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 19:19:58 GMT, Larry Dighera wrote in
:

While I wasn't able to find a FAQ server at that URL, but I did find
these documents in rec.aviation.answers (rec.aviation.piloting doesn't
seem to exist on rtfm.mit.edu):

You found the FAQ server.

What you didn't find was a method of creating new FAQs or
updating old ones.

That's why people are saying it's broken.

Geoff Peck, who seems to have been a major player in
the rec.aviation.* hierarchy, seems to be MIA since
1999. That's the last time his web site was updated.

The last usenet post from seems to
have been in July of 2002.

Marty
--
Member of the Big-8 Management Board (B8MB), such as it is.
The B8MB is a work in progress.
Old July 17th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"Owen Hiller" wrote in message

That's my point. Being a veteran is extremely honorable, but not all
veterans
are honorable, and it certainly doesn't necessarily make you a better
politician, or meat cutter, etc.

That doesn't give people license to falsify, distort or question that
person's demonstrated military career. Ever.

-c

Old July 17th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"Owen Hiller" wrote in message

I don't claim to know what motivated Kerry to decide to do it 'cause I
wasn't in his campaign headquarters, either.

Well put yourself in his handlers' shoes.

That requires experience, a paycheck, and half a damn to give about John
Kerry in the first place, none of which I possess.

-c

Old July 17th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"Owen Hiller" wrote in message

If you're trying to corner my into defending John Kerry's politics or
something, you're barking up the wrong tree.

I am not. You wrote that the vietnam veterans who were criticizing
Kerry's story just happened to come out at the election time, therefore
they only had political motivations. I just pointed out that it was
Kerry who brought up Vietnam

Ah. And what was SWIFT BOAT VETERANS FOR TRUTH doing before Kerry brought
up his Swift Boat story? Were they out dutifully purging society of swift
boat frauds?

A moment ago you were claiming that 'someone' was attempting to diminish
Congressman Murtha's past service and sacrifices,

A W F E R P E T E S A K E ! ! !
http://www.cnsnews.com/SpecialReport...20060113a.html

"Murtha's War Hero Status Called Into Question"

Not good enough? ANN COULTER! http://mediamatters.org/items/200512020002

And unlike Murtha, who refuses to release his medical records showing he
was entitled to his two Purple Hearts, we know what North did. (These
Democrat military veterans are hardly shrinking violets when it comes to
citing their medals, but they get awfully squeamish when pressed for
details.)

A May 12, 2002, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette article

http://www.themoderatevoice.com/posts/1132727456.shtml Congresswoman Who
Called John Murtha Coward Apologizes On TV

but your only example of this was an anonymous post on somebody's bulletin
board. Or maybe not even that because your link does not work.

Need more?
"[Murtha] is putting himself forward as some combat veteran with serious
wounds and he's using that and it's dishonest and it's wrong," Bailey told
Cybercast News Service on Jan. 9. Murtha served in the Marines on active
duty and in the reserves from 1952 until his retirement as a colonel in
1990. He volunteered for service in Vietnam and was a First Marine Regiment
intelligence officer in 1966 and 1967.

Murtha and Bailey, once allies, were forced to run against each other in a
Democratic congressional primary in 1982 following redistricting. Murtha won
the election.

Murtha has, in the past, publicly dismissed any questions about whether he
deserved his two Purple Hearts, noting during his 1994 congressional
campaign that "I am proud of my service in Vietnam."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/taylor...-_b_24751.html

If you need to resort to name calling, go right ahead.

It might come down to that if you can't accept facts. If you would like,
I'll find several posts demonstrating that there's a war on in the middle
east and other current events covered all over the mainstream media.

-c

Old July 17th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"Owen Hiller" wrote in message

Ludicrous. They waited until an election season to bring it up.

Again, look at the time line. Kerry was who "bought it up." He pretty
much made
his Vietnam exploits his primary qualification for becoming President.

And before that, the Swift Boat Vets were running around the country
challenging every other politicians' military records and outting frauds, or
what?

Did they delve into Bush Sr's records? Authenticate any other veterans?
What were they doing before the election season when one candidate claimed
to have been decorated for action of a swift boat?

-c

Old July 17th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"Owen Hiller" wrote in message

In 2004, a bill to extend unemployment benefits failed because of one
vote.
Kerry didn't even bother to show up.

*shaking my head, baffled.* This is not a John Kerry debate, is it?

To unbaffle yourself, reread what you wrote:

" Ah, right. Just happened to organize and go public during an election
year, specifically for the purpose of discrediting, gee, a presidential
candidate."

Again that was merely a direct response to Kerry's claims.

Which has nothing to do with whether Kerry bothered to show up for a bill to
extend unemployment in 2004, does it?

I told you I'm not interesting in talking Kerry politics, and I was polite
about it. Now, I'm not. So GET LOST! SCRAM!

NO, WE WILL NOT REFUND THE COST OF YOUR TICKET. YOU'RE LUCKY WE'RE GIVING
YOU YOUR SUITCASE BACK.

Or, in the words of David Space, BUH-BYE.
-C

Old July 17th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Default POL: McCain in '08

I don't claim to know what motivated Kerry to decide to do it 'cause I
wasn't in his campaign headquarters, either.

Well put yourself in his handlers' shoes.

That requires experience, a paycheck, and half a damn to give about John
Kerry in the first place, none of which I possess.

Perfect spot for the POL prepend. I'll start it, even though I have
nothing to say politically.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 17th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:45:39 -0400, Andrew Gideon
wrote in ::

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:25:32 +0000, Larry Dighera wrote:

But I find reading their archive of Usenet article indispensable

I still miss Dejanews.

Definitely.

It didn't go back as far (but then neither did
Google at first), but I found the query language easier to use.

I guess the spam-bot e-mail address harvesters have necessitated a lot
of changes too, but I liked DejaNews the best, because you could
search on IP addresses and other article headers.

Deajagoogle also makes it harder to get the proper threaded display, and
it seems to skip some headers (ie. Path).

Right. The original GoogleGroups would show the number of lines for
each article, left the '' in the subject lines, and was far
superior to the current GoogleGroups interface. But, hey, we've got
targeted advertising now. :-(

I really wish program developers would take the time to consult with
actual users of the data before imposing their dogma on users. It's
like Microsoft's decision to omit the mandatory visit to news.newusers
newsgroup from Outlook's news-reader. That convention was part of
every UNIX news-reader I ever saw, but Microsoft just dumped it
without consideration of the consequences. Oh well, monopolies don't
need to be considerate, and provide what the marketplace wants. When
you're the only game in town, you don't have to listen to anyone.