McCain in '08

Old July 13th 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skylune[_1_]

Default Proposal For A New Rec.Aviation Newsgroup. (WAS: McCain

Thanks Montblack.

I broke my self-imposed ban on Rec GA when I read about the actual
exchange between Boyer and Senator McCain.

Glad you thought the "headline" was humourous, as I was trying to crack a
funny. Of course, making jokes about a guy like Boyer is pretty damned
easy, even for an amateur like me. There is just so damned much material
to work with there, and the man is dumb as a stick. His huge sense of
self-importance also helps.

Take care,
Da Loon, Da Loon.

Old July 13th 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skylune[_1_]

Hey, Mont, look, they are hunting me down, in my adopted home state!!

http://www.theunionleader.com/articl...8-88e9bf48212d

Old July 13th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

Default McCain in '08

"Skylune" wrote in message
lkaboutaviation.com...

Yes, or never. My dad was a vet, and briefly a POW in WWII. He died a
few years ago, and only once or twice did he ever discuss his war
experiences with me. He would not watch war films which he said glorified
combat and did not capture the horror. The only stories I heard were from
my mom, who would recall what little he told her.

That's unfortunately too common. I've spoken with vets of my grandfather's
crew. Two loved telling the stories, possibly embellished a bit. The
copilot became angry when I suggested the notion that B-17s were ever NOT
olive drab, (the surviving '96th plane is bare aluminum), and the pilot won
the DFC, served in the Berlin Airlift, flew in Korea and Vietnam and after
he died, when I spoke to his daughter, I discovered he'd told me more about
his service on the phone one time while waiting for my grandfather to come
to the phone than he had ever told anybody in his family.

Similarly, I found out recently that my uncle is a retired Sgt. Major and he
won't even discuss which units he was in. Bronze stars from different wars,
PHs, we know he was captured by the Germans and escaped twice, and his wife
says he has two old footlockers filled with photos he took in Anzio or
somewhere, but his adult children have never seen them.

Sad, but, I figure they've earned that right if they choose to bury all of
it.

-c

Old July 14th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,news.groups
Bob Fry

Default Proposal For A New Rec.Aviation Newsgroup.

"LD" == Larry Dighera writes:

LD 4. The proponent asks the board to vote on the proposal.

LD 5. The board votes on the proposal.

What board is this?

About 15 years ago I created a new group in comp.lang, and the rule
then was that a certain percentage of all voters had to be in favor of
the proposal. Certainly there was no "board". Or do you mean all the
people reading and voting on the proposal?
Old July 14th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,news.groups
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Bob Fry said:
"LD" == Larry Dighera writes:

LD 4. The proponent asks the board to vote on the proposal.

LD 5. The board votes on the proposal.

What board is this?

About 15 years ago I created a new group in comp.lang, and the rule
then was that a certain percentage of all voters had to be in favor of
the proposal. Certainly there was no "board". Or do you mean all the
people reading and voting on the proposal?

The methodology changed after Tale retired.

The email voter system was fundamentally flawed because people were
stuffing the ballot box, so now there is a board that decides whether the
group's proponent has put forward a case that a group is needed or
deserved.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"I complained that finding a solution to problems with Microsoft software
Old July 14th 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Fry

It's not just posts about politics in r.a.piloting, it's all posts not
related to *piloting*, that don't belong here. And a new newsgroup
won't fix those. For instance, the non-topical posts I see now a

. [ 2: hewson ] http://www.boycottliberalism.com/
. [ 23: Barney Frank ] Airline Jobs
. [ 12: Marco Leon ] Interesting New Squadron Slated For Cannon AFB

r.a.p is what r.a.misc should be, but isn't. Why, I'm not sure. I
guess pilots want to post in a piloting news group.
Old July 14th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Owen Hiller[_2_]

gatt wrote:

"Owen Hiller" wrote in message

I'm pretty sure that gatt was reacting to the opponent's trashing of
McCain's
POW experience rather than any opponent disagreeing with any political
position.

Who was attacking McCain's PoW experience?

Ted Guy was attacking McCain's POW experience. Dan Luke referred to it in
this very thread. See

Ted Guy has been dead for over seven years. He was a PoW in Vietnam, and did
not use his experience to boost his own political career. Are you saying that
the late Ted Guy, is a liar?

Old July 14th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Owen Hiller[_2_]

Larry Dighera wrote:

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 16:04:15 -0400, Owen Hiller
wrote in ::

You are the man who brought up "Keating Five" in the thread.

Yes. I provided an excerpt of a news article that indicated that
McCain (the topic of this message thread) was a member of the Keating
Five. To overlook that while assessing McCain's character would be an
error of omission. Don't you agree?

Sure. What company did McCain keep in the Senate while protecting Keating
and his shady S&L deals? That is just as important, when assessing
character. If it makes you feel more on topic, at least one other Keating
5 senator was a pilot and astronaut. Were there any other pilots in the
group?

Follow your own advice first before you dictate to others.

I'm not dictating anything to anyone. I just pointed out, that to
discuss the other four members of the Keating Five would not shed any
more light on McCain's character.

Fine. If you wanted to change the subject line you could have.

Old July 14th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Owen Hiller[_2_]

gatt wrote:

"Owen Hiller" wrote in message

Here's the bottom line. McCain was a POW. He gave many years of his
life
in service of his country. To attempt to diminish or devalue that for
political leverage is absolutely beneath contempt. That's the way it is.
Semper Fi.

To attempt to use one's past service and sacrifices for today's political
leverage does great disservice to EVERYONE who has had sacrifice.

To attempt to diminish one's past service and sacrifices for today's
political leverage does great disservice to everyone who has had to
sacrifice.

Here's an example:

"A man with a couple of years of active duty and the rest of his 37 year
career spent in the Marine Corps Reserve. [Is that somehow a discredit to
his character?] A man with one year in Vietnam as a staff intelligence
offer. A man who's no more been in combat or is a war hero than I am. Even
John Kerry has more combat experience than Jack Murtha."
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/fnews/1655125/posts

*THAT* is your crappy example? I thought you were going to provide a news
article from a respected news source or something else credible. Instead you
provide a link to an anonymous bulletin board. At least I'll take your word
that you found a quote there, because the link appears to be dead too.

You brought up John Kerry. And if you are such a stickler for accuracy
regarding John Kerry, let's take a look at his political record. Please tell us
all of the bills that became law which he has spnosored in his over twenty (20)
years as a US Senator. Please tell us his attendance record while a member of
the very important US Senate Intelligence Committee. What were his primary
accomplishments as Mike Dukakis's Lieutenant Governor? Although Kerry
certainly didn't want to discuss his record as a politician, I'm sure somebody
interested in accuracy would not mind.

For perspective:

"In 1959, Murtha, then a captain, took command of the 34th Special Infantry
Company, Marine Corps Reserves, in Johnstown. He remained in the Reserves
after his discharge from active duty until he volunteered for service in the
Vietnam War, serving from 1966 to 1967, serving as a battalion staff officer
(S-2 Intelligence Section), receiving the Bronze Star with Valor device, two
Purple Hearts and the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry. He retired from the
Reserves as a colonel in 1990, receiving the Navy Distinguished Service
Medal."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murtha#...litary_service

That's great.

Old July 14th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Owen Hiller[_2_]

gatt wrote:

"Skylune" wrote in message
I agree with Gatt, except that Kerry HIMSELF opened up his war record for
inspection when he ran a "I'm not W, and I am a Vietnam war veteran"
campaign. Remember the DNC?: "John Kerry: reporting for duty" was his
opening line.

In that case I'd say it's fair so long as the interpretation of those
records is truthful by all parties, which is to say, the people claiming
he's a hero and the people claiming he's a fraud. If you make the claim, it
should be subject to review and verification.

Kerry realized that he didn't have an anthills' worth of accomplishments in 20
years of being a US Senator plus being a state lieutenant governor etc. The
only thing he could come up with was to play up his four (4) months in Vietnam.