Mini-Flight Sim in Google Earth

Old September 5th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Mini-Flight Sim in Google Earth

All,
As I'm sure many of you do, I use Google Earth to check out new
locations at which I'm going to fly. Well, at an "Easter Egg" site, I
just found that Google Earth has a wonderful (at least for us)
undocumented feature which turns it into a mini flight simulator
allowing you to "fly" anywhere that you like. The original info is
at:
http://www.webware.com/8301-1_109-97...ml?tag=nl.e415

But all you have to do is run Google Earth (might need to download
latest version-that's what I have), then hit the CTRL-ALT-A keys at
the same time. This will popup a little window that allows you to
choose to "fly" in an F16 (fast) or an SR22 (a little slower) then
choose a starting location from an airport picklist or the current
view. If you have a joystick attached, it will also let you activate
that for control.

Then it shifts into flight sim mode and you can fly around. Using the
mouse is a bit hokey but it should be good with a joystick. I've
found that "F" puts the flaps down and shift-F puts them up. The "G"
key toggles the gear up and down. I really haven't played with it
more than a couple of minutes but it should be VERY useful for
checking out a new soaring location.

Later!

-Mark

Old September 5th 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sep 5, 9:26 pm, wrote:
The original info is
at:http://www.webware.com/8301-1_109-97...ml?tag=nl.e415

-Mark

Everything correct Mark, but the original info is at:

http://marco-za.blogspot.com/2007/08...simulator.html

Rocco Caruso
Aero Gazette
www.gazette.aero

Old September 5th 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
shawn

wrote:
On Sep 5, 9:26 pm, wrote:
The original info is
at:
http://www.webware.com/8301-1_109-97...ml?tag=nl.e415

-Mark

Everything correct Mark, but the original info is at:

http://marco-za.blogspot.com/2007/08...simulator.html

Re PPC Macs:
"Make sure you click on the Map window before issuing the commands. On
the Mac the cursor automatically starts in the search bar on the left.
Clicking on the map window and then hitting command-option-a worked on
my Mac."
Worked fine once I did this :-)

Shawn
Old September 5th 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
shawn

shawn wrote:
wrote:
On Sep 5, 9:26 pm, wrote:
The original info is
at:
http://www.webware.com/8301-1_109-97...ml?tag=nl.e415

-Mark

Everything correct Mark, but the original info is at:

http://marco-za.blogspot.com/2007/08...simulator.html

Re PPC Macs:
"Make sure you click on the Map window before issuing the commands. On
the Mac the cursor automatically starts in the search bar on the left.
Clicking on the map window and then hitting command-option-a worked on
my Mac."
Worked fine once I did this :-)

Sorry for responding to my own post, but in the spririt of RTFMS:
http://earth.google.com/intl/en/user...sim/index.html
:-)

Shawn