LS-4 For Sale

Old February 13th 09, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default LS-4 For Sale

On Feb 13, 11:03*am, Greg Arnold wrote:

Is there any glider that fits a tall person where you can do that?

Yes - ASW 28 and probably all the single seat Schleichers since, and
including, the ASW 19. I'm 6 foot 2 inch and see the ends my
tailplane easily and check back there often.

In an SH B series fuselage I can't see much behind the wing tips and
won't fly one because I consider the lack of rear visibility to be
dangerous.

I have the seat back all the way aft but I don't have the rudder
pedals all the way forward in my 28. Pilots taller than me would fit
in it easily and still have the same rear visibility.

Andy
Old February 13th 09, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

Andy wrote:
On Feb 13, 11:03 am, Greg Arnold wrote:

Is there any glider that fits a tall person where you can do that?

Yes - ASW 28 and probably all the single seat Schleichers since, and
including, the ASW 19. I'm 6 foot 2 inch and see the ends my
tailplane easily and check back there often.

I am 6' with a long torso and can't close the canopy on a 27 if I am
wearing a chute. I just fit if the seatback is removed.

Old February 13th 09, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

This is why Glider Cockpit fitment is such a personal issue: A few
inches of torso-versus-leg length makes a HUGE difference in terms of
ergonomics (especially once you factor in different arm lengths and
the ability to reach the panel).

I've 6'1" and have got a somewhat-long torso; so first-gen Discus and
Ventus and Mini-Nimbus fuselages don't fit me well (have to lay down
all the way back so I don't have good visibility and cannot reach the
panel with my belts tight). But I fit the LS-4 OK and I fit _great_
in the DG-300 and DG-1000. *shrug*

Oh, and with my seating position in the DG-300 (my butt low and the
seat slightly forward, thanks to the air-bladder behind the back) I
can see all the way back to my horizontal tail just fine. :-) But
rear visibility (aft of the wingtips) was definitely an issue with a
lot of the glass ships in the 70's and 80's.

Take care,

--Noel

Old February 13th 09, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Feb 13, 1:01*pm, Greg Arnold wrote:
I am 6' with a long torso and can't close the canopy on a 27 if I am
wearing a chute. *I just fit if the seatback is removed.

I thought I had a long torso with height 6 ft 2 inch and 32 inch
inside leg. What is your seated height or inside leg? I know the 27
cockpit is slightly different from the 28 but I thought it was longer
because of the narrower wing chord.

Being tall was sometimes a great asset in the days I was rock climbing
but it can be a real disadvantage for fitting in sports cars and
aircraft.

Andy
Old February 13th 09, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

Andy wrote:
On Feb 13, 1:01 pm, Greg Arnold wrote:
I am 6' with a long torso and can't close the canopy on a 27 if I am
wearing a chute. I just fit if the seatback is removed.

I thought I had a long torso with height 6 ft 2 inch and 32 inch
inside leg. What is your seated height or inside leg?

My inseam is just under 31", so your torso is about 1" longer than mine.
Do you have the high knee cutouts in the panel, and slide your body
way forward? Or maybe you have a really thin chute?

Old February 14th 09, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Feb 13, 12:15*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
This is why Glider Cockpit fitment is such a personal issue: *A few
inches of torso-versus-leg length makes a HUGE difference in terms of
ergonomics (especially once you factor in different arm lengths and
the ability to reach the panel).

Noel, how does Brad's HP-24 fuselage fit you? Have you tried it on?

Thanks, Bob K.
Old February 14th 09, 08:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Feb 13, 5:22*pm, Bob Kuykendall wrote:

Noel, how does Brad's HP-24 fuselage fit you? Have you tried it on?

Thanks, Bob K.

Bob -

Pretty good. I'm wondering a bit about how much space the rudder
pedals are going to take up, and I may have to sit back a bit to get
good head clearance (I like 1/2 to 1 full inch between my hat and the
canopy) - so my rearwards visibility might be impacted a bit... But
overall it seems decently-proportioned (fits me way better than the
80's S-H ships); and the canopy dimensions / rail position gives great
visibility forward, to the sides, and down.

Take care,

--Noel

Old February 16th 09, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Feb 13, 3:37*pm, Greg Arnold wrote:

My inseam is just under 31", so your torso is about 1" longer than mine.
* Do you have the high knee cutouts in the panel, and slide your body
way forward? *Or maybe you have a really thin chute?

Instrument panel has the standard (for 28) high cutouts. My seating
position is such that my butt fits properly in the seat well and my
thighs are fully supported. Pedals are 1 or 2 holes from full
forward. Seat back is full aft (28 seat back has no recline adjustment
as is not modified). Strong backpack chute and factory standard seat
pad. I'm very slim build and only weigh 165 pounds so that may make a
difference.

The 28 has more room and is more comfortable for me than was my 19b.

Andy
Old February 16th 09, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Feb 14, 2:57*am, "noel.wade" wrote:
On Feb 13, 5:22*pm, Bob Kuykendall wrote:

Noel, how does Brad's HP-24 fuselage fit you? Have you tried it on?

Thanks, Bob K.

Bob -

Pretty good. *I'm wondering a bit about how much space the rudder
pedals are going to take up, and I may have to sit back a bit to get
good head clearance (I like 1/2 to 1 full inch between my hat and the
canopy) - so my rearwards visibility might be impacted a bit... But
overall it seems decently-proportioned (fits me way better than the
80's S-H ships); and the canopy dimensions / rail position gives great
visibility forward, to the sides, and down.

Take care,

--Noel

Noel,

Bob's cockpit will have lot's more room for rudder pedal travel and
foot area. I modified my canopy frame as you know, and Bob is using
the program designed canopy frame/forward hood that gives much more
foot room.

The changes I did for my airframe were beta versions only and are
designed around my ergonomics.

Cheers,
Brad

....................now, if we can all cross our fingers and hope I-80
is open for the DFA-8 trip!

LS-8/18 for sale [email protected] Soaring 0 March 28th 08 11:13 AM
L39 ZA for sale! Erik Wertheim Aviation Marketplace 2 September 26th 04 12:23 AM
Another Cub For Sale Newps Owning 1 June 6th 04 02:33 AM
For Sale samcgiltner Soaring 0 January 15th 04 11:39 PM
Twin Astir For Sale / Astir CS 77 for Sale DaveSpringford Soaring 0 December 4th 03 11:30 PM