'nuther question: highest TAS...

Old October 19th 05, 10:42 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Default 'nuther question: highest TAS...

xerj wrote:
If you look at a performance chart, you'll see that the highest true
airspeed for a normally aspirated aircraft is more likely to be around
6000 feet or so.

Isn't that for something less than full power, i.e. 75%? I'm talking max
power.

Well, maybe so. My performance charts list speeds for 55%, 65% and 75% power
only. The only time I fly at full throttle and more than 75% is on takeoff, and
that's not a speed run... that's time to reach for the sky instead. Once I
level off, I'll throttle back to 75% as a maximum... conducive to long engine
life, etc. If the manufacturers had intended me to fly at 100% power, they'd
include a performance chart for that setting.

Of course, as I climb, full throttle yields less and less, unless I'm in a
turbocharged aircraft. Even then, it runs out of oomph at some point.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old October 19th 05, 01:34 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 03:03:30 GMT, "Marc J. Zeitlin"
wrote:

The highest TAS of a propeller driven aircraft will occur at the highest
altitude at which the power being developed can occur. In other words,
if you want to fly at 65% power, fly at the highest altitude at which
65% power can be developed.

That does make intuitive sense.

Old October 19th 05, 02:00 PM
xerj

The highest TAS of a propeller driven aircraft will occur at the highest
altitude at which the power being developed can occur. In other words, if
you want to fly at 65% power, fly at the highest altitude at which 65%
power can be developed.

That makes sense.

I actually found an article I'd forgotten about, about turbonormalization at
the website I'd linked to earlier which shows it with power curves and other
charts.

http://www.nar-associates.com/techni...urbo/turbo.pdf

Lyc. O-360 cylinder question JB Owning 13 November 27th 04 09:32 PM
Handheld battery question RobsSanta General Aviation 8 September 19th 04 03:07 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Partnership Question Harry Gordon Owning 4 August 16th 03 11:23 PM