Cross Country Logging time

Old April 21st 04, 04:14 AM
Jim

Default Cross Country Logging time

I flew from Airport A to Airport B (did 1 touch-and-go) to Airport C
(did 1 touch and go) to airport D (did 3 touch and goes), then returned
to Airport A and landed. Airports A & D are greater than 50 nm apart.
Airports A&B, B&C, and C&D are less than 50 nm apart, respectively.

Should I log the entire flight as a 50nm Cross Country flight, or just
a portion? Should I delete the time spent doing touch and goes at
Airport D from the Cross Country time?

Old April 21st 04, 04:38 AM
Andrew Sarangan

Jim wrote in :

I flew from Airport A to Airport B (did 1 touch-and-go) to Airport C
(did 1 touch and go) to airport D (did 3 touch and goes), then returned
to Airport A and landed. Airports A & D are greater than 50 nm apart.
Airports A&B, B&C, and C&D are less than 50 nm apart, respectively.

Should I log the entire flight as a 50nm Cross Country flight, or just
a portion? Should I delete the time spent doing touch and goes at
Airport D from the Cross Country time?

You can log the whole flight as cross country because you went farther
than 50NM from your home airport. However, a more practical question is,
does this flight really build your cross country experience? My guess is
no. So it really depends on what you are logging for.

Old April 21st 04, 04:47 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Jim wrote:

Should I log the entire flight as a 50nm Cross Country flight, or just
a portion?

Log the whole thing.

George Patterson
This marriage is off to a shaky start. The groom just asked the band to
play "Your cheatin' heart", and the bride just requested "Don't come home
a'drinkin' with lovin' on your mind".
Old April 21st 04, 04:49 AM
Mike O'Malley

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
. 158...
Jim wrote in :

I flew from Airport A to Airport B (did 1 touch-and-go) to Airport C
(did 1 touch and go) to airport D (did 3 touch and goes), then returned
to Airport A and landed. Airports A & D are greater than 50 nm apart.
Airports A&B, B&C, and C&D are less than 50 nm apart, respectively.

Should I log the entire flight as a 50nm Cross Country flight, or just
a portion? Should I delete the time spent doing touch and goes at
Airport D from the Cross Country time?

You can log the whole flight as cross country because you went farther
than 50NM from your home airport. However, a more practical question is,
does this flight really build your cross country experience? My guess is
no. So it really depends on what you are logging for.

Are you planning on using the time for a certificate or rating? If so, none
of it is loggable, as each leg was 50 nm. BUT, for any other purpose,
(part 135 or 121 experience, insurence) it IS cross country, as defined
elsewhere in the regs, as any point to point flight.

Old April 21st 04, 04:52 AM
Hilton

Jim,

Log it all as XC time.

Hilton

Old April 21st 04, 05:05 AM
BTIZ

Are you planning on using the time for a certificate or rating? If so,

none
of it is loggable, as each leg was 50 nm. BUT, for any other purpose,
(part 135 or 121 experience, insurence) it IS cross country, as defined
elsewhere in the regs, as any point to point flight.

B***S***... by defintion of Part 61, and also FAQ file for Part 61, the
entire time can be counted towards a rating... he went more than 50nm from
airport A.. to D.. it does not matter how many airports he touched in
between. "the farthest point from the declared start of the cross country
counts." granted.. a prudent person might only log the time not spent doing
multiple T&Gs.

BT

Old April 21st 04, 05:17 AM
Lisa

Jim wrote in :

I flew from Airport A to Airport B (did 1 touch-and-go) to Airport C
(did 1 touch and go) to airport D (did 3 touch and goes), then returned
to Airport A and landed. Airports A & D are greater than 50 nm apart.
Airports A&B, B&C, and C&D are less than 50 nm apart, respectively.

Should I log the entire flight as a 50nm Cross Country flight, or just
a portion? Should I delete the time spent doing touch and goes at
Airport D from the Cross Country time?

You can log the whole flight as cross country because you went farther
than 50NM from your home airport. However, a more practical question is,
does this flight really build your cross country experience? My guess is
no. So it really depends on what you are logging for.

Probably just logging to have an accurate record of the flight. How would a
cross country flight not build one's x-country experience? Sounds like a
pretty good flight, lots of navigation, finding airports, and landing practice
too.

Are you planning on using the time for a certificate or rating? If so, none
of it is loggable, as each leg was 50 nm. BUT, for any other purpose,
(part 135 or 121 experience, insurence) it IS cross country, as defined
elsewhere in the regs, as any point to point flight.

Huh? The OP stated that Airports A&D are greater than 50 nm apart. Based on
this, the leg from Airport D to Airport A was greater than 50 miles.
Therefore, the entire flight may be logged as a cross country for the purposes
of satisfying any requirement for cross country flight of greater than 50
nautical miles.

You are correct that any point to point flight may be considered "cross country"
but the OP was clear about logging for the purpose of a 50 nm cross country.

Old April 21st 04, 06:15 AM
Marty

"BTIZ" wrote in message

Are you planning on using the time for a certificate or rating? If so,

none
of it is loggable, as each leg was 50 nm. BUT, for any other purpose,
(part 135 or 121 experience, insurence) it IS cross country, as defined
elsewhere in the regs, as any point to point flight.

B***S***... by defintion of Part 61, and also FAQ file for Part 61, the
entire time can be counted towards a rating... he went more than 50nm from
airport A.. to D.. it does not matter how many airports he touched in
between. "the farthest point from the declared start of the cross country
counts." granted.. a prudent person might only log the time not spent

doing
multiple T&Gs.

BT

I interpret this as it states, for a PPL applicant,
§ 61.109 Aeronautical experience.

(other requirements snipped)

(ii) One solo cross-country flight of at least 150 nautical miles total
distance, with full-stop landings at a minimum of three points, and one
segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of at least 50
nautical miles between the takeoff and landing locations
-------

Loggable as a X-country time for a student? Yes, provided the CFI signed off
on it.
But not valid for the one "long X-country" required for the PP rating.

MG

Old April 21st 04, 08:22 AM
Peter Duniho

"Marty" wrote in message
But not valid for the one "long X-country" required for the PP rating.

Nobody said it was.

Old April 21st 04, 01:31 PM
Teacherjh

I flew from Airport A to Airport B (did 1 touch-and-go) to Airport C
(did 1 touch and go) to airport D (did 3 touch and goes), then returned
to Airport A and landed. Airports A & D are greater than 50 nm apart.
Airports A&B, B&C, and C&D are less than 50 nm apart, respectively.

I log as cross country the entirety of any flight any of whose landings is more
than 50 nm from any other landing.

Jose