Soaring in Mexico

Old November 14th 03, 11:32 PM
Arnold Pieper

Default Soaring in Mexico

Anybody knows about Soaring places in Mexico ?

I never heard of anything there...

Arnold

Old November 14th 03, 11:46 PM
Bob Johnson

We don't need no steenking gliders.

Mexican Joe

Just kiding 8)

Old November 14th 03, 11:48 PM
303pilot

There is an outfit that operates near Monterrey and they have wave there in
the winter. I thought I had some correspondence from someone there but
can't find it... Miguel L, can you assist?

om...

Old November 15th 03, 04:36 AM
Miguel Lavalle

Arnold,

Brent and I exchanged some e-mail about soaring in
Monterrey a couple of
years ago. I don't recall that we actually found anything
concrete. I have a
good friend who is a retired executive jets pilot and
lives in Monterrey. I
am going to call him and ask whether he knows something.

My guess is that there are no soaring operations in
Mexico, due to two
reasons:

1) My dad and brothers are airline pilots in Mexico.
They have never
mentioned anything about soaring or seeing soaring
symbols in the charts

2) Taxes have not been very friendly to this type of
activitiy. A glider
would be classified as a luxury item and taxed at a
rate of at least 100%
over the purchase price. With NAFTA this probably changed
recently but I
don't think enough time has passed to allow the formation
of soaring clubs.

Anyway, as I said above, I will try to find something

Just out of curiosity, are you planning to move to
Mexico?

Regards

Miguel

At 23:00 14 November 2003, 303pilot wrote:
There is an outfit that operates near Monterrey and
they have wave there in
the winter. I thought I had some correspondence from
someone there but
can't find it... Miguel L, can you assist?

. com...

Old November 15th 03, 06:48 AM
B Lacovara

About 6-7 years ago I saw two days of beautiful three-stack lennies off the
volcano in Puebla, along with nice looking flat bottom cu's at considerabe
altitude. Just outside of town I then spotted an L-19 with a tow hook! Stopped
in and found out it was a banner towing operation and no one had ever heard of
a glider in the area.

Bob
Old November 15th 03, 09:22 AM
F.L. Whiteley

"Arnold Pieper" wrote in message
om...
Anybody knows about Soaring places in Mexico ?

I never heard of anything there...

Arnold

Somewhere between 1994-1995 I corresponded with someone who claimed to be
based in Mexico with about 10 local ships, including his own Janus CM. I
may have these e-mails archived somewhere. I believe my old DG-100
(partnered with Steele Lipe at one point) was sold and exported to Mexico,
but IIRC it was later imported back into the US.

There are undoubtedly some excellent soaring regions.

Frank Whiteley

Old November 15th 03, 12:22 PM
Arnold Pieper

Moving to Mexico ? not likely in the near future.
But I spend some time there every now and then, and I see excellent
conditions more often then not.

Recently I came accross a text on the internet describing a delivery of a
new ASH-25 to a customer in Monterrey, and it appears that guy had other
gliders there already. It may be a private person, not a club, but who
knows.

I did some research and the Mexican regulations don't seem to even include
Gliders or the Soaring activity.
Really odd considering the sport has been all over the world... and Mexico
being so close here.

Anyway, from my flights over Mexico, I think it may one day become one of
the great new discoveries in Soaring...

Old November 15th 03, 03:33 PM
Marry Daniel or David Grah

I agree. Mexico should have a huge soaring future. The weather conditions
I have seen in visits to Mexico have been very impressive over large areas.

Old November 16th 03, 05:31 AM
Eric Coleson

There's a thread in the archives here titled "Gliding in Mexico".
Some of the contact info may still be useful.

Buena Suerte,
Eric

Old November 16th 03, 07:34 AM
Miguel Lavalle

I just searched in Yahoo Mexico (in Spanish) and found
nothing about 'Vuelo a vela'. However I found a paraglidng
club close to Mexico City and sent them an e-mail.
Let's see what we get back

Regards

Miguel