Ventus C being parted-out

Old June 13th 21, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Ventus C being parted-out

My Ventus C didn't survive the last landing, the insurance company totaled it and I have the remains. I may have been the only bidder as I was able to acquire it as a salvage sale for a ridiculously low price. So, if anyone wants to offer a reasonable for the entire plane, let me know - I'll be open to offers for individual parts or for the entire plane.

The parts of the plane that are damaged beyond repair (in my estimation) are;
1) The left wing - broke at the root main spar, so all the control hookups and interfaces are gone.
2) The right wing - this may be repairable, but not by me. It has leading edge impact damage at about midway from the root to the tip.
3) The fuselage. Two areas of damage;
a) Just in front of the fin, the fuselage broke. I've seen this kind of damage repaired but again, not by me.
b) Where the left wing broke, the main structure is probably structurally damaged as well as cosmetically on the outside of the body.

What appears to be OK, and represent areas where parts may be reused include;
1) The entire undercarriage, main wheel, hub, rim, brake system, gear doors, springs, etc., This includes the Tost CG release mechanism/cabling.
2) The rear wheel, hub, rim, etc.
3) Horizontal stabilizer. (I haven't been able to do a detailed examination, but it appears to be OK. I'll be able to look at it in a couple of weeks to be certain)
4) Everything in the fuselage in front of the wing, and possibly some of the control linkages. The canopy is gone, but all the rest is effectively unscathed. So, the instrument panel. The tilt-up mechanism and cover, vent, control mechanism. The rudder pedals and all associated mechanisms.

If you are interested in the entire plane or just a part, let me know and we'll work something out. The plane was in great condition, and has been kept in a trailer, so nothing is in "Salvage yard condition". If you want, we can start a Private Message to discuss your interest. I have pictures, so let me know and I'll make them available.
Old June 13th 21, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 4:27:56 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

There was a Ventus at Minden, last year that was cherry, except for a badly broken landing gear and associated tube-cage. Don’t remember other details, but I’ll bet Tom Stowers would know? Believe the owner wanted 10K for the whole package, trailer and all?
Where is your ship located and is the trailer for sale, type, condition & price?
Probably best to put an asking price on your ship, for those who might be interested in mix & match a flyable Venti out of the carnage.
JJ
Old June 14th 21, 12:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Dutch

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 9:45:07 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Well, there might be a Ventus that could be put together out of the two sets of parts. I don't know Tom Stowers, but if someone wants to forward this info, we might start a conversation.

The trailer is for sale as well. It is a Komet, configured for 15m ships. Fiberglass top is in 99% great shape ( a little corner of the top got damaged sometime in it's history, but nothing a little repair job couldn't handle) New gas shocks to lift the top were installed a few years ago and are still quite strong. Axle, brake system, hubs, wheels, tires are all in good shape. The package came with all the tow-out gear as well. I have a tow bar, rear fuselage wheel dolly and wing wheel. Knowing what good trailers go for, my sense is this is in the $4-5K range. I have a few pictures of it as well.

I can be contacted at cpdutch (at) gmail dot com
Old June 14th 21, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Me

[...]

If you have Maughmer winglets I would be interested, assuming they would fit my Ventus B, not sure if they would.
Old June 14th 21, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]

On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 12:09:25 PM UTC-7, Me wrote:
[...]

The ship with a broken gear is a Discus, not a Ventus.
Sorry,
JJ

Ventus C being "parted-out" [email protected] Soaring 0 June 13th 21 12:01 AM
FS: Ventus C James Hamilton Soaring 0 October 6th 06 11:38 PM
FS: Ventus C James Hamilton Soaring 0 October 4th 06 09:37 PM
FS: Ventus C James Hamilton Soaring 0 September 30th 06 11:06 PM
FS: Ventus C James Hamilton Soaring 0 September 27th 06 09:58 PM