Sport Pilot

Old September 20th 04, 03:02 AM
W P Dixon

Default Sport Pilot

Hi Gang,
I started my sport pilot training today, had a blast! It was clear and
alittle windy but it made for a nice ride. I got 1.1 hours in a Piper
Warrior. I am just tickled about the whole adventure.

Old September 20th 04, 11:36 AM
Mark Smith

W P Dixon wrote:

Hi Gang,
I started my sport pilot training today, had a blast! It was clear and
alittle windy but it made for a nice ride. I got 1.1 hours in a Piper
Warrior. I am just tickled about the whole adventure.

A Warrior ?

,and why did you wait for sport pileit to do this ?

Warriors have been around for many years as have probably you,,,,,,,,,
--

Mark Smith
Tri-State Kite Sales http://www.trikite.com
Old September 20th 04, 08:07 PM
W P Dixon

Yes it is pilot training but I can not get the medical for the private pilot
so I know I am going for my sport pilot and so does my CFI. So we are clear
on our goals. Just wanted to get it out there that some CFI's are not
befuddled by the new sport pilot rule and are training for the sport pilot
rating...of course we are waiting for the written test to come out. But
there is no reason not to get started on some flight hours! Oh and actually
the plane and I were the same age! HAHAHAHA d
Pattist" wrote in message
"W P Dixon" wrote:

I started my sport pilot training today, had a blast! It was clear

and
alittle windy but it made for a nice ride. I got 1.1 hours in a Piper
Warrior. I am just tickled about the whole adventure.

I'm glad you're having fun - we welcome all pilots, but I'm
interested as to why you say you've started "sport pilot
training." Does your logbook specifically say "trained in
accordance with FAR 61...." and refer to sport pilot regs?
Or are you just telling us that it's your intent to get a
sport pilot rating? If your logbook just indicates thinngs
like "landings," "takeoffs," "S+L, steep turns, etc" then
you've started "pilot training" and can decide later whether
you want to use it for sport, recreational or private pilot
ratings.
Todd Pattist
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)
___
Make a commitment to learn something from every flight.
Share what you learn.

Old September 21st 04, 02:52 AM
W P Dixon

You are correct, but starting the training is to the rule..the CFI says that
the rule says that private pilot training can be counted as sport Pilot
time, other than the solo's and check ride that will be required to be in
sport class aircraft. Guess I will just enjoy flying the heavier class until
I get to that point..because after I get the sport pilot I won't get to fly
them! But if you know of anyone in TN that wants to get started have them
drop me a line and I will give them the info.
They get alot of interest in it they may go ahead and buy a sport class
of plane. I know they are looking now for one . but of course they are
trying to see how much interest they will get, probably to justify the cost
of a new one or old one. Don't blame them there!
As for the befuddling, it was just crazy half the CFI's say one thing
the other half another. The one half are right! HAHA
"Todd Pattist" wrote in message
"W P Dixon" wrote:

Yes it is pilot training but I can not get the medical for the private

pilot
so I know I am going for my sport pilot and so does my CFI. So we are

clear
on our goals.

OK, I was just interested.

Just wanted to get it out there that some CFI's are not
befuddled by the new sport pilot rule

Well..... I think they have the right to be a bit befuddled
as all the "rules" haven't been released yet.

and are training for the sport pilot rating...

As a practical matter, they can teach you to fly, and your
training should all count towards the SP rating, but from a
nitpicking point of view, they can't really be "training for
the sport pilot rating" as the Practical Test Standards"
have not yet been released, so technically they don't really
know what standards to teach you to. I have no doubt though
that 1) they'll teach to private pilot standards, and 2) the
SP standards will be no higher than the private standards.

of course we are waiting for the written test to come out.

and the PTS, and the designated examiners need to get
trained, and the forms written, etc. Isn't paperwork and
red tape fun!

Butthere is no reason not to get started on some flight hours!

Agreed!

Oh and actually
the plane and I were the same age!

My plane is older than I am.

Old September 21st 04, 10:02 PM
W P Dixon

You make some good points, wow wouldn't it be great if they relaxed the
medical for private pilot! Yes I do plan on getting the taildragger
endorsement, my CFI is looking for a few "sport planes" to do the solo's
and check ride. Well all that is required of the medical for the sport pilot
is a valid drivers license so I should be able to solo for the sport pilot
as I have met that requirement? That is one of the issues that half the
CFI's say one thing the other half say the other. But by the prelimary rules
the CFI has states the driver's license is the medical. And of course you
have to know you are safe to fly. It wouldn't be legal to go fly if you were
on medicines that affected your ability, etc etc. But I am sure as the
official rules and such get into everyones hands, which my CFI said will be
in November, it will clear the rules up once and for all ..well we all hope.
We are talking about a government agency here! HAHAHAHA
"W P Dixon" wrote:

the CFI says that
the rule says that private pilot training can be counted as sport Pilot
time, other than the solo's and check ride that will be required to be in
sport class aircraft.

Correct, and you can't solo yet, since you need the medical
to solo, or you'd need a student Sport Pilot license, which
doesn't exist (yet.)

Guess I will just enjoy flying the heavier class until
I get to that point..because

You might want to look around for a tailwheel instructor.
Most of the current sport pilot legal FAA registered
aircraft will be tailwheel airplane. Alternatively, if you
think you're going to use your SP rationg for ultralights,
you should consider getting time in a "fat" ultralight.
Those aircraft that you will eventually be legal to fly do
have some special differences from the aircraft you are
currently training in. If you look, you can find
instructors for both.

after I get the sport pilot I won't get to fly them!

You can always fly with a friend or instructor, and who
knows, they may eventually drop the private medical reqts if
they have a good experience with SP.

Todd Pattist
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)
___
Make a commitment to learn something from every flight.
Share what you learn.

Sport Pilot inconsistency frustrated flier Home Built 16 November 18th 04 08:29 AM
sport pilot humor Occom Home Built 0 April 9th 04 04:22 PM
Sport Pilot Leaves DOT for OMB, Latest News Fitzair4 Home Built 3 December 25th 03 02:49 AM
New Sport Pilot Aircraft Website Info Home Built 0 November 29th 03 10:25 AM