Gene Whitt is back on line

Old February 21st 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Leaning (was Gene Whitt is back on line)

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message
| Yes, engine roughness is caused by one cylinder
misfiring.
| Fuel injection is properly calibrated is the same on all
| cylinders so the engine runs smooth and balanced.
|

| I guess GAMI is selling us a bill of goods, huh? :~)

( Moved to the bottom where it belongs for those that read top-to-bottom)

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
It all depends, Henry Ford built the "best" car he could
when he built the Model T, a 1962 Chrysler 426 Hemi would
have really seemed like magic to Ford and a modern double
overhead cam engine in a 2000 Acura would really would out
perform that 426 monster cube for cube.

Huh?

GAMI is better than stock FI which is a very old, low tech
constant flow system on Continental and Lycoming engines.
Your car uses high pressure pumps a fuel rail and solenoid
control metering at the injector, but engine roughness is
caused by __________ which causes __________ vibration.

Do you have any idea what GAMI injectors are?

Old February 21st 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

answered at the top, Yes.

But most engines do not have them or the same procedures
that they allow.

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

| "Matt Barrow" wrote in
message
| |
| | "Jim Macklin"
wrote
| in message
| | Yes, engine roughness is caused by one cylinder
| misfiring.
| | Fuel injection is properly calibrated is the same on
all
| | cylinders so the engine runs smooth and balanced.
| |
| |
| | I guess GAMI is selling us a bill of goods, huh? :~)
| |
| |
| |

| ( Moved to the bottom where it belongs for those that read
top-to-bottom)

| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message

Old February 21st 06, 09:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Jim,

Peak power is max RPM, some books
recommend running richer, enough to drop the RPM 50.

Do you have an example for a POH recommending that?

And do you think this procedure prepares your students for complex
aircraft adequately?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old February 21st 06, 09:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Jim,

I think we are saying the same thing, basically and to a
degree.

Nope, not at all, I'm afraid.

Different power per cylinder will be rough, but as long as
the output is close, most pilots won't notice minor
variations. I used the word misfiring to indicate what was
happening that would be detected.

There is normally no misfiring at all in an engine running rough from
leaning.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old February 21st 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

answered at the top, Yes.

But most engines do not have them or the same procedures
that they allow.

You are talking in circles or something, since damn near every response of
yours on this thread is virtually unrelated to the question asked, or the
fact posted.

First of all, very few FI engines are calibrated coming from the
manufacturer, especially TCM engines.

Second, GAMI's are nosels, not injectors per se.

Roughness is NOT caused by a misfiring cylinder, but by an improper fuel
distribution. All cylinders can be firing just fine, but if the air/fuel
mixure is out of balance, it'll be running rough.

Old February 21st 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Matt,

You are talking in circles or something, since damn near every response of
yours on this thread is virtually unrelated to the question asked, or the
fact posted.

Thanks for noticing, too. Interesting discussion technique, albeit one
leading to little progress... ;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

I want to build the most EVIL plane EVER !!! Eliot Coweye Home Built 237 February 13th 06 04:55 AM
Dawley Aviation PIREP, or: Atlas is BACK Jay Honeck Owning 33 January 4th 06 04:05 PM
1343 NM to the NASM Udvar-Hazy Center and back... Jay Honeck Piloting 25 June 18th 05 05:07 PM
Space Elevator Big John Home Built 111 July 21st 04 04:31 PM
The Little Wheel in Back Veeduber Home Built 6 September 8th 03 10:29 AM