VFR on top question

Old July 1st 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

Default VFR on top question

"A Lieberman" wrote in message

The radar outage would only be for a small segment of the flight. Why go
so high when I don't need to.

Because it's the only way to get what you want.

Old July 2nd 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
karl gruber[_1_]

"A Lieberman" wrote in message
On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 16:41:31 GMT, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

I still don't get it. If you have to go to 7000 to ensure radar coverage
then that's how high you'd have to go for that second pair of eyes. If
you're high enough to ensure radar coverage you're high enough to be
cleared
direct.

The radar outage would only be for a small segment of the flight. Why go
so high when I don't need to.

It seems you need to. Not withstanding it is safer, cooler, smoother, and
usually more efficient to be higher.

Or, go IFR, and learn how to work with ATC better to get what you want.

Karl

Old July 2nd 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 22:06:00 -0500, A Lieberman
wrote:

Scenario 1....

Severe clear weather from point A to point B going east. MRA is 7000 in
which part of this area is below ATC radar coverage from past experience.
Highest OROCA enroute is 2600, filing is direct from airport to airport.

If I filed "VFR on top" /G for 3500, would I be legal to file this plan
since I would be able to maintain visual flight rules (VFR)?

Scenario 2.....

Throw in an active MOA to the above. I would assume that I would get
vectors or an amended clearance around the active MOA even though I am "VFR
on top". Would this be a correct assumption?

Allen

Of course it would be legal to file. But don't count on getting it g.

ATC may not (is not allowed to) issue you an off airway routing outside of
radar coverage and outside of NAVAID standard service areas. At least not
in the lower 48. There are some exceptions in Alaska, and it may someday
be possible to do this down here, too.
Old July 2nd 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

ATC may not (is not allowed to) issue you an off airway routing outside of
radar coverage and outside of NAVAID standard service areas. At least not
in the lower 48.

Bah, Salt Lake allows that all the time. To the north of us the radar
coverage is poor below about 9000. The ground here is at 3650 and gets
lower the farther north you go. ZLC regularly terminates aircraft after
we send them and asks them to make occasional reports.
Old July 3rd 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

Bah, Salt Lake allows that all the time. To the north of us the radar
coverage is poor below about 9000. The ground here is at 3650 and gets
lower the farther north you go. ZLC regularly terminates aircraft after
we send them and asks them to make occasional reports.

While ignorant controllers at ZLC may do it regularly it is not allowed.

Old July 3rd 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Rosenfeld

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 15:13:12 -0600, Newps wrote:

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

ATC may not (is not allowed to) issue you an off airway routing outside of
radar coverage and outside of NAVAID standard service areas. At least not
in the lower 48.

Bah, Salt Lake allows that all the time. To the north of us the radar
coverage is poor below about 9000. The ground here is at 3650 and gets
lower the farther north you go. ZLC regularly terminates aircraft after
we send them and asks them to make occasional reports.

You've written this before.

I did not speak to the point as to whether certain controllers do this or
not. Only as to whether or not it is in accord with the regulations.

Where is the exception to the radar monitoring requirement for random
routes outside of the NAVAID Use limitation (and below FL 450 for RNAV a/c)
that is being applied by ZLC for this procedure?

Lyc. O-360 cylinder question JB Owning 13 November 27th 04 10:32 PM
Handheld battery question RobsSanta General Aviation 8 September 19th 04 03:07 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Partnership Question Harry Gordon Owning 4 August 16th 03 11:23 PM