Cirrus crash midair

Old March 11th 10, 10:14 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Alpha Propellerhead

Default Cirrus crash midair

On Feb 9, 4:45*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:

To be honest, your comment is just ridiculous and stupid. *Real pilots
*do* maintain a procedurally based and trained lookout.

They move their heads, and, if necessary to cover blind spots, they move the
airplane.

Thank you for using the word "they."

You don't "move the airplane" to cover blind spots. Ever see rear-view
mirrors on a passenger jet? Ever see one doing a clearing turn? Ever
see an airplane doing clearing turns in a traffic pattern? I've ridden
in B-17s and while the view from the tail is spectacular, the pilots
have no access to it, and they fly in a straight line.

Here's a thing people are just starting to figure out: Pilots A and B
fly an airway by hand. They're off the center of the airway some small
or fractional number of miles instead of following a fixed line like
ants. Now, Pilots C, D, E and F fly Garmin glass panels, they program
in the routes and let the airplane fly them along the airway.
Okay...so, now the latter four pilots are all flying an identical
profile, at all kinds of different speeds, dead center down the
airway. See the problem?

If you're in a Lancair or a Bonanza and don't get your head out of the
cockpit and ignore the extraneous info on a glass panel, you might
chew up a 172 flying the same route or approach ahead of you at a
slower speed whereas before humans would naturally spread themselves
out on the airways.

Old March 15th 10, 03:35 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mike Ash

In article ,
"Stephen!" wrote:

Alpha Propellerhead wrote in
:

They move their heads, and, if necessary to cover blind spots, they
move

the
airplane.

Thank you for using the word "they."

You don't "move the airplane" to cover blind spots.

You've never lifted a wing to see under it before you turn?

I normally "cut the corner" from downwind to base in the pattern
precisely so that my wing doesn't block my view of the airport during
that portion of the flight. The idea that you don't move the airplane
for visibility is silly as a general rule.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old March 15th 10, 01:29 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim[_26_]

Mike Ash wrote:
In article ,
"Stephen!" wrote:

Alpha Propellerhead wrote in
:

They move their heads, and, if necessary to cover blind spots, they
move
the
airplane.
Thank you for using the word "they."

You don't "move the airplane" to cover blind spots.

You've never lifted a wing to see under it before you turn?

I normally "cut the corner" from downwind to base in the pattern
precisely so that my wing doesn't block my view of the airport during
that portion of the flight. The idea that you don't move the airplane
for visibility is silly as a general rule.

I always drop the outside wing a bit on base to make sure that no nordo
is sneaking up on long straight-in final before I make the turn base to
final. Airport visibility on the turn to final is just fine, but my
wing is attached to the bottom of the plane
Old March 15th 10, 04:04 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mike Ash

In article ,
Jim wrote:

Mike Ash wrote:
In article ,
"Stephen!" wrote:

[...]

My wing is on the "shoulder", basically right where my shoulder is. The
result is that I can't see below me beyond 90 degrees to the side. Which
is where the airport is for the last section of a standard downwind leg.
So I slice off that corner to keep the angle to the numbers at 90
degrees. Obviously, different aircraft will have different needs here.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth

Ohio midair crash kills 3 Larry Dighera Piloting 33 May 21st 07 11:38 AM
Cirrus crash in NYC SAM 303a Soaring 18 October 16th 06 03:14 PM
I think I know why so many Cirrus' crash Ron Lee Piloting 103 January 29th 06 05:32 AM
Another Cirrus crash James L. Freeman Piloting 42 April 24th 04 11:21 PM