A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

FLARM Core boot time?

Old June 19th 19, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

Default FLARM Core boot time?

Hi all in Glider-Land!
Does anyone have a good number for how long it takes or the FLARM Core to boot up?
Background: I am trying to update my Butterfly 57mm round display to the latest revision. The instructions say to connect the USB stick with the update file to the FLARM port, push and hold the button on the Butterfly display and release it after the FLARM has booted up. I know that the FLARM Core has a number of blinky-lights on the unit, which probably could tell you when it is done but they are not visible to me since it is installed behind the panel. So how do I know when the FLARM is done booting without having the display? Or do I misinterpret the instructions all together?

Thanks,

Uli
'AS'
Old June 19th 19, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, June 19, 2019 at 7:36:04 AM UTC-7, AS wrote:
Hi all in Glider-Land!
Does anyone have a good number for how long it takes or the FLARM Core to boot up?
Background: I am trying to update my Butterfly 57mm round display to the latest revision. The instructions say to connect the USB stick with the update file to the FLARM port, push and hold the button on the Butterfly display and release it after the FLARM has booted up. I know that the FLARM Core has a number of blinky-lights on the unit, which probably could tell you when it is done but they are not visible to me since it is installed behind the panel. So how do I know when the FLARM is done booting without having the display? Or do I misinterpret the instructions all together?

Thanks,

Uli
'AS'

Perhaps your USB stick has an LED in it to indicate activity? If so, wait until it stops.
Jim
Old June 19th 19, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, June 19, 2019 at 10:36:04 AM UTC-4, AS wrote:
Hi all in Glider-Land!

Thanks,

Uli
'AS'

Hi Uli,

Try 60 seconds. I haven't timed it, but I think it is less than this (presuming no config file to load, no updates to PF core, no flight logs to d/l)..

best,
T8
Old June 19th 19, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, June 19, 2019 at 10:57:59 AM UTC-4, JS wrote:
On Wednesday, June 19, 2019 at 7:36:04 AM UTC-7, AS wrote:
Hi all in Glider-Land!

Thanks,

Uli
'AS'

Perhaps your USB stick has an LED in it to indicate activity? If so, wait until it stops.
Jim

Thanks, Jim! I am no confuser-expert but I think the light on the USB stick would tell me when the update is done, which starts after I release the button - not when the Core is done booting.

Uli
'AS'
Old June 19th 19, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler
external usenet poster

Uli - Hold the button down until you see "updating..." on the Butterfly screen.
Then wait for it to finish loading new butterfly firmware and/or FLARMnet.
Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave
Old June 19th 19, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, June 19, 2019 at 11:12:50 AM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
On Wednesday, June 19, 2019 at 10:36:04 AM UTC-4, AS wrote:
Hi all in Glider-Land!

Thanks,

Uli
'AS'

Hi Uli,

Try 60 seconds. I haven't timed it, but I think it is less than this (presuming no config file to load, no updates to PF core, no flight logs to d/l).

best,
T8

You don't have to wait for the FLARM to boot; just wait for the "Waiting" to appear on the Butterfly Display. When the FLARM is up, it switches to "Loading" and then comes up with the normal post-boot screen when it is done. The same applies to the FLARMnet info - and that is a little longer. The GPS does have to lock on, though, so if you are in a metal hangar, you may have to push it to an area where the GPS will work to complete the update.

From the manual:
9.3 Update via PowerFLARM Devices
9.3.1 PowerFLARM CO
• Copy Butterfly firmware (.bfw) and/or flarmnet (.bfn) to a USB stick.
• Connect stick to Core.
• Switch on system with BF display knob pressed.
• Verify BF display goes into UPDATE MODE with ’WAITING’, then ’LOADING’. [it doesn't say it's ok to release the display knob, but it is]
• Wait until BF display restarts (can take up to two minutes).
9.3.2 PowerFLARM Portable:
• Copy Butterfly firmware (.bfw) and/or flarmnet (.bfn) to micro SD card.
• Insert micro SD card into slot.
• Activate menu entry Info -¿ Disp. update.
• Switch on system with BF display knob pressed.
• Verify BF display goes into UPDATE MODE with ’WAITING’, then ’LOADING’.
• Wait until BF display restarts (can take up to two minutes).
Old June 19th 19, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, June 19, 2019 at 11:16:01 AM UTC-4, Dave Nadler wrote:
Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave

Thanks, T8 and Dave! I will give that a try and report back if that worked.

Uli
'AS'
Old June 19th 19, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Time the boot up a couple of times before attempting the update. Average
those times and then add a few seconds and proceed.Â* It should boot up
in about the same time every time.

On 6/19/2019 9:16 AM, Dave Nadler wrote:
Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave

--
Dan, 5J
Old June 19th 19, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh
external usenet poster

Do remember to have a Butterfly update file on the USB if you don't want to see "WAITING" until you power off.