3D Maping

Old October 1st 04, 02:22 AM
Chris W

Default 3D Maping

Has anyone else here seen the new software from NASA that has a 3D map
of the world created from satellite images?

http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/worldwind/
Be Warned it is a 260MB download.

It starts out with a view of the globe you can rotate around and then
zoom in to any part of the world. Naturally you see the most detail in
the USA. You can pick from viewing USGS topo maps, USGS 1 Meter B&W
satellite images or LandSat7 3D imagery. So far every time I have tired
the 3D images I get an error about not being able to connect to the
server. It downloads the images from the net as you zoom in and pan
around. Even with out the 3D images you can still rotate your view so
instead of looking straight down like from a satellite you can get a
view more like that from in your plane. It is a pretty nice piece of
software.

--
Chris W

Not getting the gifts you want? The Wish Zone can help.
http://thewishzone.com

Old October 1st 04, 03:28 AM
John Harlow

Chris W wrote:
Has anyone else here seen the new software from NASA that has a 3D map
of the world created from satellite images?

http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/worldwind/
Be Warned it is a 260MB download.

Do you have another working link?

Old October 1st 04, 03:31 AM
MC

"Chris W" wrote in message
Has anyone else here seen the new software from NASA that has a 3D map of
the world created from satellite images?

http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/worldwind/
Be Warned it is a 260MB download.

Got into it for a moment then 403 errors..... Another way?

Matt

Old October 1st 04, 03:36 AM
MC

"MC" wrote in message

"Chris W" wrote in message
Has anyone else here seen the new software from NASA that has a 3D map of
the world created from satellite images?

http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/worldwind/
Be Warned it is a 260MB download.

Got into it for a moment then 403 errors..... Another way?

Matt

Found one

Mirror link for download

http://public.www.planetmirror.com/pub/misc/worldwind/

Old October 1st 04, 03:36 AM
John Harlow

Got into it for a moment then 403 errors..... Another way?

I think the corrected URL is http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/worldwind/index.html
, but I have a feeling it has been slashdotted.

I'm going to try again in a couple days.

Old October 1st 04, 03:46 AM
Chris W

John Harlow wrote:

I think the corrected URL is http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/worldwind/index.html
, but I have a feeling it has been slashdotted.

I'm going to try again in a couple days.

It was slashdotted several days ago, but has been working fine the last
few days, and was working fine earlier today. I don't know what is
wrong now.

Old October 1st 04, 02:07 PM
Jay Honeck

The message I received is that the site is down for "emergency maintenance"...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 1st 04, 04:52 PM
John Harlow

Here's a fast mirrior:

www.twobeds.com/nasa/worldwind-1_2.zip

Old October 3rd 04, 02:57 AM
tony roberts

Has anyone else here seen the new software from NASA that has a 3D map
of the world created from satellite images?

Site is down for emergency maintenance

Tony
--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old October 3rd 04, 06:46 AM
Chris W

Since no one seems to have been able to download it yet, I thought I
would post a few screen shots to show what I think is one of the cool
features.

http://cdw.homelinux.com:8087/DFW1.jpg
http://cdw.homelinux.com:8087/DFW2.jpg
http://cdw.homelinux.com:8087/DFW3.jpg

I still have not been able to get the 3D terrain from the Landsat7
images to come up. Just the USGS Topo and 1 Meter satellite images.