396 vs Anywhere EFB

Old April 13th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default 396 vs Anywhere EFB

Anyone care to help me with the pros and cons of these two portable systems.
I would like to purchase one soon. I think I have it narrowed down to these
two but feel free to chime in if you think there is a better system. I
mainly want the XM WX, but will use the GPS as a backup to my Garmin 430.
Thanks in advance for comments
John

Old April 13th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
"John" wrote:

Anyone care to help me with the pros and cons of these two portable systems.
I would like to purchase one soon. I think I have it narrowed down to these
two but feel free to chime in if you think there is a better system. I
mainly want the XM WX, but will use the GPS as a backup to my Garmin 430.
Thanks in advance for comments
John

John,

There are many comments that can be viewed by using a Google Groups
search in the rec.aviation.* groups. Also, I would recommend searching
the AOPA forums (forums.aopa.org) and sifting through comments on
Control Vision's forums (forum.anywheremap.com).

I've owned both AnywhereWx and the Garmin 396. I presently fly with the
396. The bottom line is that either will display weather fairly well,
though Garmin's implementation is more complete if you're looking at the
features of the $50/month XM subscription. Garmin's nav and obstacle
data are better, and their quality control is infinitely better than
Control Vision's.

However, AnywhereMap does have some features missing from the Garmin
396, such as taxi diagrams, approach plate capability, etc. The
WindowsXP tablet systems offer flexibility for uses outside of the
cockpit.

I sold my AnywhereMap system because I was tired of the perpetual bugs
and the poor quality of the AnywhereMap navigation, airport, and
obstacle data. It probably isn't a bad choice as a strictly
supplemental system, but I do not have a panel-mount GPS. One other
consideration: the Garmin portable units will interface with the panel
mount units to exchange flight plan information, which makes the
portable a convenient backup.

JKG
Old April 16th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
"John" wrote:

Anyone care to help me with the pros and cons of these two portable systems.
I would like to purchase one soon. I think I have it narrowed down to these
two but feel free to chime in if you think there is a better system. I
mainly want the XM WX, but will use the GPS as a backup to my Garmin 430.
Thanks in advance for comments
John

Garmin==HUGE company selling a huge number of units of the 396 which
equals continued support for quite a while....

Anywheremap and Airgator (I have an Airgator)=small companies that are
in the process (in my opinion) of dying a slow death as people switch to
the 396.

I got a GREAT deal on my Airgator/XM package otherwise I'd have a 396.
It is incredibly painful as you fly with my Airgator to look ahead at
your destination ATIS info..It is there, but you can't easily just
scroll over and look, I always find I have to manually enter the
identifier and hit WX. NOT easy on the little PDA screen.

--
Chris Schmelzer, MD