Club Class Eligibility List

Old January 19th 10, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Club Class Eligibility List

I am trying to understand the Club-Class Eligibility List for the USA
Sports Class Nationals. There seems to be a club-class eligibility
list and a different "Boldface giliders are on the IGC list". The
last time I flew in the Sports Class all gliders were allowed. What
is the significance of these two different lists?

Bill Snead
6W
Old January 19th 10, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Reid

Bill,

I believe the bold faced gliders are required to be flow in the sports
class nationals to qualify for the US Club Class Team.

Check this page-
http://www.ssa.org/UsTeam/ust_selection.htm

And read this document-
http://www.ssa.org/UsTeam/ustc%20pdf...n%20Policy.pdf

Or just the important section:

2.2.2 After December 31, 2007, in order for a pilot’s CFS to
contribute toward US Team selection in the Club Class, it must have
been earned while flying a glider that appears on the then current US
Team Club Class Eligible Glider List.

And the IGC list link (2007 is the only one I can find)
http://www.fai.org/gliding/system/files/handicaps.pdf

I believe this is why Sean Franke won the spot on the team by
finishing 3rd at Elmira in a LS3-a behind a ASW-27 and ASG-29.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks,
Michael
Old January 19th 10, 07:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

In other parts of the World, LS-3s don't often race AS-G29s. The
LS-3 can fly competitively in Club Class, and the AS-G29 is restricted
to only flying 15M (with the optional tips), 18M, Open, or handicapped
in Sports Class.
At the recent Club and Sports Class Nationals in Australia, the Club
Class was Discus (1), AS-W20 and lesser performance, as per the linked
handicap list. Sports Class was anything better.
It was good fun to see a 201 Libelle fly past an AS-G29 just before
touchdown. Of course, the 29 driver won the "Sammy The Snail" award
the next morning!
Jim

Old January 19th 10, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm[_2_]

On Jan 19, 2:16*am, JS wrote:
* In other parts of the World, LS-3s don't often race AS-G29s. The
LS-3 can fly competitively in Club Class, and the AS-G29 is restricted
to only flying 15M (with the optional tips), 18M, Open, or handicapped
in Sports Class.
* At the recent Club and Sports Class Nationals in Australia, the Club
Class was Discus (1), AS-W20 and lesser performance, as per the linked
handicap list. Sports Class was anything better.
* It was good fun to see a 201 Libelle fly past an AS-G29 just before
touchdown. Of course, the 29 driver won the "Sammy The Snail" award
the next morning!
Jim

On Jan 18, 9:30*pm, Michael Reid wrote:

I believe this is why Sean Franke won the spot on the team by
finishing 3rd at Elmira in a LS3-a behind a ASW-27 and ASG-29.

It also applies to regional contests which have an actual club class
(such as region 5 south at Cordele). Only planes on the club class
list
can race in that class.

-- Matt
Old January 20th 10, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 19, 11:20*am, mattm wrote:
On Jan 19, 2:16*am, JS wrote:

[...]

-- Matt- Hide quoted text -

The club class eligibility list seems to include a lot of gliders
that are not on the "Boldface gilders are on the IGC list". The LS-3
for example is on the eligibility list, is not in boldface. It looks
to me like that a glider as good as an LS-6C and as bad as a Schreder
HP-15/18 could be used to qualify for the club class team. Do you
think I understand this correctly??

Bill Snead
Old January 20th 10, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Jan 19, 7:59*pm, " wrote:

The club class eligibility list seems to include a lot of gliders
that are not on the "Boldface gilders are on the IGC list". *The LS-3
for example is on the eligibility list, is not in boldface. *It looks
to me like that a glider as good as an LS-6C and as bad as a Schreder
HP-15/18 could be used to qualify for the club class team. *Do you
think I understand this correctly??

Bill Snead

I think you understand it. The US defined a range that we say "Fly
this in Sports Class, and you can be eligible for Club Class World
Team Seeding." And then they also show what planes are allowed in the
Club Class World Championships. There may be some omissions, but I
think they are not intentional.

Lowest performance (highest US Handicap number) I see on our Club
Class Eligibility list (noted with the "C") is the Austria SH-1 at
1.115. Even though there are some at 1.11 that do not have the "C".
Highest looks to be, as you mentioned, the LS-6 at .898 . And some
at .900 that do not have the "C".

Steve Leonard
Old January 21st 10, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 19, 9:15*pm, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Jan 19, 7:59*pm, " wrote:

[...]

There was a footnote on the list with the "C's" that said to check
another list on the "Team Site". Thats where I find the CLUB-CLASS
ELIGIBILITY LIST and that where there is a difference with the IGC
list. Is it the US Team Committee who makes these rules?

Bill Snead
Old January 21st 10, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

On Jan 19, 7:59*pm, " wrote:

[...]

Bill Snead- Hide quoted text -

Bill,

Don't pick on my HP-15/18

mike

Club class/Sports class Sam Giltner[_1_] Soaring 7 September 28th 08 12:17 AM
Club Class vs. Sports Class noel.wade Soaring 28 September 25th 08 02:52 AM
Club Class List Peter F Soaring 0 August 30th 07 03:04 PM
SPORTS CLASS/CLUB CLASS 5 ugly Soaring 0 July 2nd 06 11:14 PM
UK Open Class and Club Class Nationals - Lasham Steve Dutton Soaring 0 August 6th 03 10:07 PM