Best Oxygen Setup?

Old October 1st 19, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ProfJ

Default Best Oxygen Setup?

Ok, looking for the wisdom of the crowd (or even just the individual) here. I want to get an oxygen setup for my glider. It's an old-school touring motor glider (SZD-45 Ogar) but I like to soar it anyway, and I live in SW Colorado so I am regularly bumping my head on the 12,500ft and 14,000ft "limits". (Why "limits"? Well my house is at 9,000' and I regularly ride my mountain bike up to 12,000 ft without getting notably out of breath, but I guess you have to take the rules seriously.) So: what is the best oxygen setup for western soaring, mostly sub-5hr flights, two seat glider, easy access to an oxygen distributor, easy retro-fit to an experimental glider, quite a lot of space in the cockpit? Oh, and budget friendly, in case the glider didn't give you a clue.
Old October 1st 19, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 10:12:34 PM UTC-4, ProfJ wrote:
Ok, looking for the wisdom of the crowd (or even just the individual) here. I want to get an oxygen setup for my glider. It's an old-school touring motor glider (SZD-45 Ogar) but I like to soar it anyway, and I live in SW Colorado so I am regularly bumping my head on the 12,500ft and 14,000ft "limits". (Why "limits"? Well my house is at 9,000' and I regularly ride my mountain bike up to 12,000 ft without getting notably out of breath, but I guess you have to take the rules seriously.) So: what is the best oxygen setup for western soaring, mostly sub-5hr flights, two seat glider, easy access to an oxygen distributor, easy retro-fit to an experimental glider, quite a lot of space in the cockpit? Oh, and budget friendly, in case the glider didn't give you a clue.

I am using a Mountain High EDS O2D2 in my two-seater and I have used it now for four summers in Moriarty. Two of us can fly several days in a row at altitudes up to 17,999ft ;-) using canuals. We never felt any signs of hypoxia. The operation of the O2D2 is straight forward - more or less idiot-proof.
Buy the biggest tank you can fit into your Ogar and still be within the CG and weight limits.

Uli
'AS'
Old October 1st 19, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ProfJ

On Monday, 30 September 2019 21:17:03 UTC-6, AS wrote:
[...]

Thanks Uli! That was more or less what I had concluded but really nice to get the experienced confirmation.
Old October 1st 19, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 11:21:30 PM UTC-4, ProfJ wrote:
[...]

Forgot to mention: my glider is also the side-by-side configuration, so the EDS is installed between the seats on the center console in full view of both users, which I think is a huge advantage.
Uli
'AS'
Old October 1st 19, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

ProfJ wrote on 9/30/2019 8:21 PM:
[...]

I use O2D2 also, with a 45 cu ft carbon fiber tank in my Phoenix. It's easy to
install, it works well, it's easy to use, and my wife doesn't mind wearing the
cannula.

Old October 1st 19, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

I used to have a Calif as well, and I managed to install a 10 liter cylinder between/behind the seats. With the EDS, that goes a long way ;-)
Old October 1st 19, 05:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 7:12:34 PM UTC-7, ProfJ wrote:
Ok, looking for the wisdom of the crowd (or even just the individual) here. I want to get an oxygen setup for my glider. It's an old-school touring motor glider (SZD-45 Ogar) but I like to soar it anyway, and I live in SW Colorado so I am regularly bumping my head on the 12,500ft and 14,000ft "limits". (Why "limits"? Well my house is at 9,000' and I regularly ride my mountain bike up to 12,000 ft without getting notably out of breath, but I guess you have to take the rules seriously.) So: what is the best oxygen setup for western soaring, mostly sub-5hr flights, two seat glider, easy access to an oxygen distributor, easy retro-fit to an experimental glider, quite a lot of space in the cockpit? Oh, and budget friendly, in case the glider didn't give you a clue.

The "limit" is 12,500, not 14,000. You can go to 14k for 30 min ONCE per flight.
Realistically, be on O2 above 10k for YOUR OWN SAFETY.
Old October 1st 19, 06:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

You might get some helpful info from this presentation. It gives some details on the three major types of O2 delivery systems. http://aviation.derosaweb.net/presentations/#oxygen

Personally, being a flat lander, when I go out West I begin breathing O2 as soon as I am strapped in. This is way beyond what the FAA requires but it sure beats getting headaches at altitude...or worse.

I to use a Mountain High system (O2D1). Sometimes they have the older refurbished models for sale cheap - see https://www.mhoxygen.com/closeout-refurbished/.

- John OHM Ω
Old October 1st 19, 10:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ken Fixter[_3_]

At 04:45 01 October 2019, 2G wrote:
[...]

Hi John

The Ogar is not short on cargo space and in a good C of G position with

built in anchor points as a ex ogar owner I would say the instalation of O2
cylinder will be easy I can't remember the cargo weight limit but it was
generous.
KF

Old October 1st 19, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Tuesday, October 1, 2019 at 12:09:07 AM UTC-4, Tango Whisky wrote:
I used to have a Calif as well, and I managed to install a 10 liter cylinder between/behind the seats. With the EDS, that goes a long way ;-)

Really? Which Serial # did you own?
I got the original Caproni O2 brackets and installed the longest aluminum tank that fits through the main bulkhead between the seats. I can turn on and off the tank, see the gauge and the operate the EDS. Nothing beats a roomy cockpit! ;-)

Uli
'AS'

LXNav V7 Setup svelusive Soaring 9 February 22nd 15 04:29 PM
A-37 Dragonfly smoke setup Glenn[_4_] Aviation Photos 0 December 27th 12 03:00 AM
Vario setup brianDG303 Soaring 1 April 3rd 08 05:20 PM
FS 2004 setup Dave Hetteen Simulators 4 June 25th 04 10:40 PM
WX Works setup Paul Tomblin Piloting 16 December 8th 03 04:23 AM