Pilot watch not a real EB6

Old March 15th 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BillJosephson

Default Pilot watch not a real EB6

Hi. I am a bit confused. I saw this watch on Amazon and a reviewer
states it is not a real EB6:

"The E6-B rule bezel is incomplete, however operational. For a perfect
calculation, you must have a "mirror" of the main functions of the
rule bezel printed within the watch, just like any Jeppesen Computer.
Although I knew this when I bought the watch, it's still important to
mention that. There are watches in the market with a complete E6-B
rule bezel."

for this watch:

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Mens-Tac...3932448&sr=8-4

But I've looked at other watches, like the one I want, and the "slide
rule" seems the same on all of them:

http://mymsn.qxl.no/accdb/ViewItem.asp?IDI=412615595

I want a real EB6; what am I missing? Is this guy right? Is the
latter watch true EB6? How do you tell?

Thanks a lot....

Bill

Old March 15th 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

The watches are no more than a circular slide rule, which is what an E6B is
(not EB6).

A True E6B or "Air Navigation Computer" or "Flight Computer" will also have
the internal portions used to compute Density Altitude TAS Compressibility
Functions and the "Wind Slide" portion for computing wind correction and
ground speed on the reverse.

I have never seen a "reverse side" to a "Pilot's Watch".

BT

ups.com...

Old March 15th 07, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

On Mar 15, 12:40 am, "BillJosephson"
wrote:
Hi. I am a bit confused. I saw this watch on Amazon and a reviewer
states it is not a real EB6:

"The E6-B rule bezel is incomplete, however operational. For a perfect
calculation, you must have a "mirror" of the main functions of the
rule bezel printed within the watch, just like any Jeppesen Computer.
[...]

First, please see; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E6B

The term "E-6B" is mis-used for fairly generic slide rule watch
bezels, to give them an aviation flavor. Sometimes there's Statute-
Nautical mile, Gallons Fuel - Pounds Fuel, etc, markers added, but
it's still just a simple slide rule.

For instance, none that I know of have True Altitude or True Airspeed
calculations, commonly associated with the Slide Rule Model B that is
on a real E-6B.

One thing to be careful of, are cheap imitation watches. Often they
have a slide rule scale on the outer ring, and a different scale on
the inner. Or their numbers don't match up. Or they're totally non-
logarithmic and won't work as a slide rule.

Also, some cheap watches don't have a two-way smoothly rotating bezel,
but only a one-way divers-style clicker bezel.

The Seikos bezels are okay, and if you have super eyesight, fun to
play with when you armchair fly. Otherwise they're mostly just for
show ;-)

Also see the E6B styles at: http://www.hmewatch.com/

The most useful pilot watch I ever saw, was the expensive Oscar Bravo
series, which I can't seem to find a link for now. It had
interchangeable rings for different cruising speeds. They allowed
you to rotate the ring to the current time, and then read off the ETA
for different distances.

Regards, Kev

Old March 15th 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

The fighter pilots skills are related to the size of his watch.
The bigger the watch, the lower the skill.

Old March 15th 07, 11:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

If you want an E6b to use, buy a nice metal full or pocket
size from one of the suppliers, such as ASA, Sporty's, or
Aircraft Spruce.

If you want a watch, buy a watch, combinations of the two
are unwieldy and don't work well.

If you want to impress the girls, get a big pocket watch.

Old March 15th 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Jim Macklin wrote:
If you want an E6b to use, buy a nice metal full or pocket
size from one of the suppliers, such as ASA, Sporty's, or
Aircraft Spruce.

If you want a watch, buy a watch, combinations of the two
are unwieldy and don't work well.

If you want to impress the girls, get a big pocket watch.

I absolutely agree. I own two watches. The E6B function built into one of them
is so small I can't use it effectively, particularly when I'm bouncing around.
If you want a watch with something useful added to it, get a diver's watch with
a unidirectional elapsed time bezel.

If you want to impress girls, get a big diver's watch with unidirectional
elapsed time bezel.

I've carried a shirt pocket sized metal E6B when I fly for years. You can find
one in any pilot shop.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old March 15th 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

I've got the full-sized and pocket E6b in several models,
ASA, APR and Jepp, but I prefer the CR models from Jepp. I
like the big one for how easy it is to see, but the
discontinued 3-1/2 pocket size is small enough to fit any
shirt pocket. The 4-1/4 will fit a work shirt pocket.
As a CFI I got samples of just about all types, some you've
probably never heard of such as the MB2A and the Navy's MB9
Mach 3.5 job.
Telex even had some made and branded that had color-code
scales.

But I generally use the KISS principle for navigation... the
wind always blows from the west and Washington, D.C. is east
of LAX. Since I don't have a scheduled tanker transfer or
schedule at a gate, I just point it where I think it should
be and adjust later. I don't time instrument approaches
closer than the nearest 15 seconds, since I don't really
know the GS that close, rather look early, I like to be at
the MDA at least a mile and a half from the threshold.

But E6bs are fun and they helped win WWII. Even saw a brass
one.

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in
message

Old March 16th 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Chilcoat[_2_]

Or get what I got for $20 on the street in NYC. It's a pilot watch, or at
least looks like one: Big, heavy, chrome, with a rotating bezel with all the
E6B stuff on it, lots of dials, etc. Perfect for impressing the girls...
Except the E6B bezel has both scales on the rotating part. They don't rotate
relative to each other. Just a sham. Still it impresses the ladies. "Are you
a real pilot?" "Sure, just look at my watch." I always wear it when I'm not
with other pilots. Not bad for $20.

Bob Chilcoat (Chief Pilot, White Knuckle Airways)

Old March 16th 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

But the size of the watch is inverse to the size of the
pilot's package.

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
| Or get what I got for $20 on the street in NYC. It's a
pilot watch, or at
| least looks like one: Big, heavy, chrome, with a rotating
bezel with all the
| E6B stuff on it, lots of dials, etc. Perfect for
impressing the girls...
| Except the E6B bezel has both scales on the rotating part.
They don't rotate
| relative to each other. Just a sham. Still it impresses
the ladies. "Are you
| a real pilot?" "Sure, just look at my watch." I always
wear it when I'm not
| with other pilots. Not bad for $20.
|
| Bob Chilcoat (Chief Pilot, White Knuckle Airways)
|
| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message
| If you want an E6b to use, buy a nice metal full or
pocket
| size from one of the suppliers, such as ASA, Sporty's,
or
| Aircraft Spruce.
|
| If you want a watch, buy a watch, combinations of the
two
| are unwieldy and don't work well.
|
| If you want to impress the girls, get a big pocket
watch.

| "BillJosephson" wrote in
message

ups.com...
| | Hi. I am a bit confused. I saw this watch on Amazon
and a
| reviewer
| | states it is not a real EB6:
| |
| | "The E6-B rule bezel is incomplete, however
operational.
| For a perfect
| | calculation, you must have a "mirror" of the main
| functions of the
| | rule bezel printed within the watch, just like any
| Jeppesen Computer.
| | Although I knew this when I bought the watch, it's
still
| important to
| | mention that. There are watches in the market with a
| complete E6-B
| | rule bezel."
| |
| | for this watch:
| |
| |

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Mens-Tac...3932448&sr=8-4
| |
| | But I've looked at other watches, like the one I want,
and
| the "slide
| | rule" seems the same on all of them:
| |
| | http://mymsn.qxl.no/accdb/ViewItem.asp?IDI=412615595
| |
| | I want a real EB6; what am I missing? Is this guy
right?
| Is the
| | latter watch true EB6? How do you tell?
| |
| | Thanks a lot....
| |
| | Bill
| |

Old March 17th 07, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

One of the best fighter pilots I ever knew wore a Mickey Mouse
watch....I mean a REAL Mickey Mouse watch!!!
Before you laugh, I can tell you from experience that the watch broke
the ice with beautiful young ladies at the O club bar on more than one
occasion :-)
Dudley Henriques

BT wrote:
[...]

Is Chris Thomas a Real Pilot? jls Home Built 147 September 14th 04 03:03 PM
I wonder if Chris Thomas is a real pilot? Anybody know? Badwater Bill Home Built 116 September 3rd 04 05:43 PM
I wonder if Chris Thomas is a real pilot? Anybody know? RobertR237 Home Built 14 September 1st 04 04:42 AM
I'm a real PILOT! CFLav8r Piloting 45 April 26th 04 03:29 PM
AOPA ZULU Time Pilot watch on eBay Cecil E. Chapman Products 0 October 13th 03 06:40 PM