CAVU and I'm Grounded!

Old March 6th 04, 01:58 PM
Carl Orton

Default CAVU and I'm Grounded!

ARRRRGHH!

Just took possession of a '67 172 on Monday. Aside from work obligations and
IFR weather in the DFW area the past week, I was really really really
looking forward to this morning (Sat) to take my first flight alone in the
new bird.

Going over the logs once again last night (about the 4th time...) it
suddenly hits me - there's no record of a 24 month transponder check!!!
Grounded!!! Of all the checks we did on the pre-purchase, that one slipped
by. Shame on me. And it is one heckuva beeeyoutiful day out there. *sigh*

Oh well; that's the joy of aircraft ownership, I guess.....

Carl

Old March 6th 04, 09:49 PM
Jay Honeck

Going over the logs once again last night (about the 4th time...) it
suddenly hits me - there's no record of a 24 month transponder check!!!
Grounded!!! Of all the checks we did on the pre-purchase, that one

slipped
by. Shame on me. And it is one heckuva beeeyoutiful day out there.

*sigh*

You grounded your plane on a VFR day because the transponder hasn't been
checked in 24 months?

Turn the stupid thing off and go fly!

(I'm REALLY grounded. The weather here is CAVU, my plane is fully fueled
and 30 seconds away -- and the danged hotel is full... I can't get away for
NUTHIN'...)

:-(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 7th 04, 12:17 AM
PlsurFlyin

Your hotel is full and you're complaining??? :-)

congrats Jay...

I would like to come up in May..stay in the Fairchild Suite, of course. If
that's booked, I guess I'll settle on the Mustang Suite.

I'll give you a call when I know my schedule.

don
N690FA
Old March 7th 04, 12:19 AM
Bob Fry

"Jay Honeck" writes:

Going over the logs once again last night (about the 4th time...) it
suddenly hits me - there's no record of a 24 month transponder check!!!
Grounded!!! Of all the checks we did on the pre-purchase, that one

slipped
by. Shame on me. And it is one heckuva beeeyoutiful day out there.

*sigh*

You grounded your plane on a VFR day because the transponder hasn't been
checked in 24 months?

Turn the stupid thing off and go fly!

(I'm REALLY grounded. The weather here is CAVU, my plane is fully fueled
and 30 seconds away -- and the danged hotel is full... I can't get away for
NUTHIN'...)

That's not grounded. You've just got the wrong priorities. Now me, I
was grounded for several weeks getting some things taken care of on
the plane while we had typical early spring Northern California
weather: absolutely clear (probably 150+ miles viz), temps high 60s,
gentle breezes. You could see the snow on the Sierra peaks and all
the way over to the coast ranges.

If the only thing wrong with the plane was some paperwork, screw
it...I would have been flying.
Old March 7th 04, 04:33 AM
Don Tuite

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 03:45:57 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

I would like to come up in May..stay in the Fairchild Suite, of course. If
that's booked, I guess I'll settle on the Mustang Suite.

The Fairchild Suite, eh? Wellll, I'm not sure where to get Fairchild
memorabilia.

If can rustle some up, we'll make a Fairchild Suite for you!
:-)

For the good stuff, search under "PT-19"
(e.g., http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/early_years/ey16a1.htm ) and
"F-24" (http://www.fairchildclub.com/robert_drake_jr.htm) (It also
flew with the Ranger engine.)

Don

Old March 7th 04, 05:28 AM
john smith

Jay Honeck wrote:
I would like to come up in May..stay in the Fairchild Suite, of course. If
that's booked, I guess I'll settle on the Mustang Suite.

The Fairchild Suite, eh? Wellll, I'm not sure where to get Fairchild
memorabilia.

Morgan Fairchild? Get get some Old Navy commercials and videos of the
sitcoms she was on. There may be some posters available somewhere. You
could probably get her there for the dedication. She hasn't worked much
lately.

Old March 7th 04, 07:45 AM
Greg Burkhart

I'm confused, did the transponder quit working just because the 24 month
checkup is up??? If it was working, who's going to know that it hasn't been
checked?

You can fly it to a place to get it checked out/signed off.