Avionics Cost Question

Old May 18th 05, 03:32 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Avionics Cost Question

For you avionics guys out there...what should it cost to have an avionics
shop install an audio input jack in my panel as an add-on to my
panel-mounted stereo intercom?

We have a Narco CP-136 audio panel, and a PS Engineering CD/Intercom. I'm
assuming the input jack has to "patch in" to the intercom somewhere.
(Frustratingly, a jack already exists for the back-seat passengers only.
It's a nice feature so that they can listen to their own music in back --
but we don't have the same option in the front seats.)

I would like to use this input jack to connect a portable XM radio receiver
or an Ipod-type device.

Thanks in advance!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 18th 05, 04:10 PM
Jim Burns

Hey Jay,
I'm trying to understand what your intercom is currently capable of. I
would guess that all seats can listen to the CD, but if the back passengers
plug into the aux audio input, they hear that but the front still hear the
CD?

So, you'd want to wire an input jack to the intercom between the CD output
and the intercom input some how so front passengers can listen to your iPOD?

Have you talked to PSE? They probably know if this is possible.

I'm just curious, because we do not have any music inputs in our Aztec, I've
been exploring options. We're perfectly happy with our King audio panel and
our no-name Sigtronics imitation intercom works fine, just no music. So I'm
torn between really getting my *ss in gear and going for something like the
PS Eng. 3000 Intercom (which would mean replacing all the jacks and spending
the additional $300 for the PS wiring harness) or buying something like a
couple PS Muse, but they are also $170 each. I definitely want the
auto-mute feature, so having Lightspeed add the $75 cell phone / music input
feature on our 20XL's isn't really an option I like.

What to do... what to do....

Let us know if you talk to PSE about your options.
Thanks
Jim

Old May 18th 05, 06:50 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

It costs next to nothing if you do it yourself and then have someone look at
it (or not). If you have the intercom that I think that you do: music input
(L) is pin 14 (and the barrel on the jack), (R) is pin T (and the tip of the
jack) and then ground the jack to wherever all the shields are grounded. I
think that I have the pins if you can tell me what length wire you want, I
will make you one.

Mike
MU-2

Old May 18th 05, 10:05 PM
Jay Honeck

It costs next to nothing if you do it yourself and then have someone look
at it (or not). If you have the intercom that I think that you do: music
input (L) is pin 14 (and the barrel on the jack), (R) is pin T (and the
tip of the jack) and then ground the jack to wherever all the shields are
grounded. I think that I have the pins if you can tell me what length
wire you want, I will make you one.

Thanks, Mike. I'm hopelessly ignorant when it comes to this kind of stuff,
so bear with me...

When you talk about the "pins" I assume you mean the pins on the back of the
intercom, where the wiring harness plugs in? Isn't the harness already
plugged into pin 14 and pin T? How do I gain access to those pins, so that
I may connect another wire to them?

Or are these unused openings in the harness, and you're talking about
installing these pins INTO the wiring harness?

Either way, the wires wouldn't have to be more than 24 inches long.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 18th 05, 10:57 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

Pins 14 and T are only used for an external music input which you don't seem
to have so the pins should be unused. If this is the case you will add a
wire (actually a two wire shielded cable) that will go from these pins (and
ground) to the jack where you will plug in your MP3 player. You might want
to go to PS Engineering's site and download the installation manual. If you
look at the wiring diagram, everything will be clear.

Mike
MU-2

Old May 19th 05, 05:08 AM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

We have a Narco CP-136 audio panel, and a PS Engineering CD/Intercom. I'm
assuming the input jack has to "patch in" to the intercom somewhere.
(Frustratingly, a jack already exists for the back-seat passengers only.
It's a nice feature so that they can listen to their own music in back --
but we don't have the same option in the front seats.)

Yes, the usual place to wire in an audio input is into the intercom harness. You
need a schematic of the wiring plug pins -- this usually is part of the owner's
manual for the intercom.

The better intercoms have two sets of audio inputs; one for the front two seats
and the other for everybody else. Sounds like the original installer didn't hook
up the front set in your plane. I think you should be hunting for a manual. I
would contact PSE and see if I could get a replacement manual.

If you're determined to take it to a shop, I'd guess it'll be about 2 hours
work. Maybe a bit less. If the harness is tight and the plug hard to get to, it
could well be more.

George Patterson
"Naked" means you ain't got no clothes on; "nekkid" means you ain't got
no clothes on - and are up to somethin'.
Old May 19th 05, 03:12 PM
Jay Honeck

If you're determined to take it to a shop, I'd guess it'll be about 2
hours work. Maybe a bit less. If the harness is tight and the plug hard to
get to, it could well be more.

Thanks, George.

It sounds easy enough. (Oh, man, I've gotten into the biggest trouble with
those four words! :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 20th 05, 08:02 PM
SeeAndAvoid

I've been pretty happy with my PSE PMA7000B, have had it for
about 1 year. I dont know about you guys but I'm looking for
clean and simple when it comes to this as I've played the
wires all over the place and seperate intercom/audio panel /
cd or dvd player / am-fm radio game already and it sucked.

The install has 4 stereo jacks. One of the jacks in the back
has an audio input that only they listen to. In the front there is
a stereo input jack, an unswitched audio jack for my trafficscope,
and a jack for cellphone/satphone that takes up the COM3 spot
on the audio panel. I do not have PSE's CD/DVD/Radio units,
and use portable devices for that, which do introduce some
wires and power requirements, but I've been able to tuck and
hide most of that away.

Old audio panels and intercoms should do fine on eBay, at least
they did for me, helping offset the cost of the newer and way
better equipment. PSE has quality products and they listen
to customers, and no I dont work for them.

Just my opinion and experiences,
Chris

"Shut your filthy sewer, you scum" A Clockwork Orange
www.philhendrieshow.com