Russia Sailplanes website

Old February 17th 04, 08:35 PM
Willie

Default Russia Sailplanes website

I am in the market for a sailplane and have been looking at
PW 5s and Russia AC 4s. I noticed the Russia Sailplanes site has been
inaccessable for a few weeks. Anyone know why?
Old February 17th 04, 08:48 PM
Tim Mara

I was told they have given up offering the Russia Gliders....
I don't know if anyone will pick this up again.
tim

m...

Old February 17th 04, 09:01 PM
Eric Greenwell

Tim Mara wrote:
I was told they have given up offering the Russia Gliders....
I don't know if anyone will pick this up again.
tim

"Willie" wrote in message
m...

I am in the market for a sailplane and have been looking at
PW 5s and Russia AC 4s. I noticed the Russia Sailplanes site has been
inaccessable for a few weeks. Anyone know why?

Go to www.motorglider.org, and use the links section to join the Russia
AC4/5 newsgroup. You can ask questions there, but basically Tim is right
about the website. The compamy web site is available, but you'll need to
use a translation tool (Google, Alta Vista) to read it in "English",
since it is in Russian.

--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old February 18th 04, 02:32 PM
John

Rumor is there will be a new US distributor announced this year. If
you look at the Aviastroitel website (in Russian), you see many new
models being developed. Since the US was the largest market, clearly
these new models will likely be made available in the US. Which
indicates the rumors of the new US distributor might actually come
true.

Having flown both the PW5 and the Russia, I would say the PW5 is a bit
fancier in the cockpit (small stick like the expensive birds, for
example), but that is all. The Russia has much better control harmony
and seems a lot tougher overall. The rudder coordination take a while
to figure out in the PW5. Assembly of the Russia is way better
(really is a 10 minute, one person job), and glide performance with
the retract gear is much better than the fixed gear PW5. The only
negative with the Russia is it is a little pitch sensitive, requiring
re-adjusting attitude with spoiler changes (that is, more spoilers
cause the plane to slow down). Takes a bit of practice to smooth out
your landing if you transition directly from a more stable bird like
the 2-33.

The Russia does have a very bad tailwheel that just does not hold air.
Expect to spend around $130 to replace the Russian tailwheel with a
Tost tailwheel. Some owners report leaky mainwheels, but nothing
beyond having to add air every other month. Cheap fixes ($8)
involving Slime are available for the mainwheel.

Availability of used aircraft for sale seems a good indicator of how
well owners like living with a particular airplane. While you can
find a number of the self-launch AC5M Russians for sale (like due to
the 400-450 fpm climb rate from the 28 hp engine....I think this might
have disappointed a few owners), not many of the glider AC4 are for
sale. Seems like a satisfied group.

John
Old February 18th 04, 06:05 PM
Ernie

it always was ;-)

Ernie

(c'mon - it is still winter, there is enough time for some serious PW5
discussion ;-)

Tim Mara wrote:

I was told they have given up offering the Russia Gliders....
I don't know if anyone will pick this up again.
tim

.com...

Old February 18th 04, 06:58 PM
Tim Mara

I'm sure I won't be the first to suggest it....but if you are looking for a
"good" ship in the 20-25K range there will be a lot of "really good" (some
will even be far cheaper) Libelle's, Hornets, Mosquito's, LS1f's, LS3's
Jantar's and so on and even some later gliders like ASW19's, DG300's and
now even some LS4's ect that will be in or near your price range just to
name a few .....many will even be certified with Standard airworthiness....
performance isn't everything, but all of these will certainly out-perform
your wish-list and give you solid, record proven reliability and known
habits....plus since many of these have already depreciated (and
appreciated) you'll have some known value and resale.....plus plus plus.....
tim

"Willie" wrote in message
m...
(John) wrote in message

. com...
Rumor is there will be a new US distributor announced this year.

Thanks for the information. I have been considering a used ship in the
20 -25 thousand range. I really like the look of the Russia, it
reminds
me of a Phoebus, but without the heavy wings. I am also watching the
Sparrowhawk and Apis, but since they are so new, I don't think I will
find a used one for awhile.

The PW5 seems to be a good fit for me in terms of performance, but I
have heard and read nothing but negative comments from other
sailplane pilots. Is it really a bad ship? It seems to have the
performance
that I'm looking for (33 to 1) or better.

I am in no great hurry and can afford to wait for a deal, so I will
keep my eyes open and watch for the new Russia distributor.

Thanks again,
Willie

Old February 18th 04, 08:16 PM
John

Here is more proof the Russia is better than the PW5, at least in the
USA.

There were 81 Russian gliders imported to America, 26 motorgliders
imported, and 3 kits built. This according to the yahoo AC4 group.

If you search the FAA aircraft registry on the Internet, you will find
a smaller number of the "other" world class gliders registered in the
USA. Specifically, the FAA lists the number of PW-5 aircraft
registered as 65; and the number of L-33 Solo aircraft registered as
55.

Based on these numbers, the USA market place clearly prefers the
Russia to the PW5.

I assume one reason the Russia is a better choice then the PW5 is the
design has evolved from tail dragger, to nose wheel, to retract gear,
to motor glider, to now apparently touring glider, and soon-to-be
longer-span/winglet/flapped glider. The PW5 is "stuck" as a design
and not allowed to evolve.

So really, can you compare a new Russia with a decade-old design such
as the PW5? I once watched a retract gear C model Russia literally
run away from a PW5 between thermals...almost like the PW5 was going
backwards. Pull the gear up and add the wing root fairings, and the
Russia is 35:1. Nothing the poor 30:1 PW5 can do about that.
Old February 18th 04, 09:10 PM
Martin Gregorie

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 13:58:17 -0500, "Tim Mara"
wrote:

I'm sure I won't be the first to suggest it....but if you are looking for a
"good" ship in the 20-25K range there will be a lot of "really good" (some
will even be far cheaper) Libelle's, Hornets, Mosquito's, LS1f's, LS3's
Jantar's and so on and even some later gliders like ASW19's, DG300's and
now even some LS4's ect that will be in or near your price range just to
name a few .....many will even be certified with Standard airworthiness....
performance isn't everything, but all of these will certainly out-perform
your wish-list and give you solid, record proven reliability and known
habits....plus since many of these have already depreciated (and
appreciated) you'll have some known value and resale.....plus plus plus.....
tim

First, a word in defense of the PW-5. It is quite pleasant to fly
judging from one flight. Controls are light and its responsive. The
only vice I was warned about before flying it is a tendency to PIO on
aero-tow take off if you let it pop up and are then over-enthusiastic
in correcting. I didn't have a problem - got it running on the main
wheel with the nose a little raised and it just flew off. If you can
fly a modern glass two seater (ASK-21 or G103) you'd have no problem
with it. OTOH the build quality of the early ones is a bit scruffy and
the short wheelbase could well make for a choppy roll-out on an uneven
field.

Having said that I'd certainly echo Tim's advice. I made my first
Libelle flight an hour or so after flying the PW-5 and it was a
delight to fly as well as having a lot more performance than the PW-5.
Again, I was warned about poor brakes, but didn't find them a problem
though they are weaker than you find on, say, a Pegase or Discus. They
sell for $US16K -$US18K with trailer here and have to represent good
value if you can get a nice one.

Me? I'm spoilt by an enjoyable two seasons on a Pegase and so am
prepared to pay for at least an ASW-19 level of performance.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK

Website Mltry.- Your Information, Customized for You, Family Communication, Chat, Please Help by Visiting and Signing Gues Wolf Naval Aviation 0 January 8th 05 06:16 AM
Russia Threatens to Strike Terror Bases Dav1936531 Military Aviation 51 September 18th 04 12:52 AM
P-3 Orion website updated Marco P.J. Borst Naval Aviation 0 March 6th 04 08:21 PM
Old website suddenly dies, replaced by new one Jack Glendening Soaring 2 February 8th 04 05:31 PM
Russia joins France and Germany captain! Military Aviation 12 September 9th 03 09:56 AM