iPod generation in Gliding

Old November 14th 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default iPod generation in Gliding

On Nov 13, 7:37*pm, wrote:
On Nov 13, 5:10*am, wrote:

Does anyone out there have a good example how we in gliding community
using Podcasts to spread our information and stories ? *Have the
feeling we don’t attract new students in there channels.

Our own Cherokee Kid, Tony Condon, is a frequent contributor to the
pilotcasts at:

*http://pilotcast.libsyn.com/?search_...it=Search&sear...

That link is for a show about teaching off-airport landings mainly to
airplane pilots but Tony, being the primo glider wiz and promoter that
he is, often talks about soaring on these shows. He's had people in
various places recognize his voice on aircraft radios from hearing him
on pilotcasts! *He's done more to promote awareness of soaring in his
few short years flying gliders than I have in 20 years.

Check it out!

i've also talked gliders on Jason Miller's podcast
(www.thefinerpoints.net) as well as Will Hawkins "Pilots Flight
Podlog" (pilotwill.libsyn.net) and I think thats pretty much it. I
have a lot of fun talking about flying in general, and always enjoy
talking soaring as well. Between that and a personal addiction to
online aviaiton forums, i've done what i can to spread the good word.
And i've inspired quite a few people to go out and start flying
gliders.
Old November 14th 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

How about getting something on TV?

I made a video that was picked for TV on the Current TV network.

My video can be seen here (not soaring related) : http://current.com/items/89439340_

The main page of the network is www.current.com then you go to "Viewer
Uploads" and submit a video. Every Thursday at 5PM a new video is
picked, as determined by the up votes. The network targets the 18-34
year old crowd.
Tom
Old November 14th 08, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The one thing about making a video for TV is that you have to have a
license for everything you use from music to appearance releases from
each individual and location releases from the property owners from
where you film from from, etc..You will not see a video on TV with say
Beatles music as there is no license for that.

It's far easier to make a Youtube video as those licensing
requirements are far less stringent and are not being broadcast in TV
on a commercial network.

But if you can overcome this hurdle, a well done video would be a nice
submission. There has to be a story to the video, not just soaring
footage, to make it compelling.
Tom
Old November 14th 08, 08:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On 14 Nov, 04:20, wrote:
The one thing about making a video for TV is that you have to have a
license for everything you use from music to appearance releases from
each individual and location releases from the property owners from
where you film from from, etc..You will not see a video on TV with say
Beatles music as there is no license for that.

It's far easier to make a Youtube video as those licensing
requirements are far less stringent and are not being broadcast in TV
on a commercial network.

But if you can overcome this hurdle, a well done video would be a nice
submission. There has to be a story to the video, not just soaring
footage, to make it compelling.
Tom

Thanks’ all of you. There is two parts for me and federation in my
topic. One is about communicate our sport and to get more interest
(more student, press etc) Next topic and perhaps more easy is to
spread internal communication like instruction, stories from nice
flights and so. In this I am thinking off recorded without video. To
spread video in commercial way it’s not so easy..

Borje, 8X
Old November 16th 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HoUdino

There is a robust amount of video on YouTube which is the largest
houser of video on the web. Just do a search. Many of the videos I've
watched have a large number of hits. In talking to new members of my
club, there seems to be an awareness of these YouTube videos and an
excitement generated by them. I often mention the YouTube links to
prospective new members.

What seems to be missing is not promotional content but rather the
next step of directing them to a clearing house for getting directly
involved with soaring, ie the "next step". The videos I've watched
often mention the local group that made the video (We've made a few
for OCSA), but for those prospects not in my clubs marketing area they
don't get a hand off. If every video ended with a link to an IGC
listing of national organizations, and if every national organization
had a listing of all their associated clubs, and every club had a
welcoming message to share with the viewer then the waterfall would be
complete. The SSA's "Where to Soar" section is an example but is
never mentioned in any video I've seen.

How can we encourage our video posters to include a (inter)national
link?

LT
54 and getting older...

PS- Posting seminars, etc is a great idea too for those of us adready
into soaring, but this does not address the "new student" promotional
issue which was borge's original question.

PPS- Noel, I'd like to hear more about your "social settings and the
psychology of the generation gap" as you mention in #2 of your post.