Glider flight software on non PDA devices- soon.

Old November 17th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bernie[_4_]

Default Glider flight software on non PDA devices- soon.

XCSoar on $200 in car navigator :

http://blipmap.walsys.net/forum/index.php?topic=95.0

Old November 17th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bernie[_4_]

Updated link:

http://www.users.on.net/~dsg/HG/xcsoarX350.html
Old November 17th 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_1_]

On Nov 17, 12:45*pm, Stephen Haley wrote:
Have been watching the threads on the 310 with interest - my google trap
fror the 310 recently threw up a potential Portrait mode driver -
I dont have a 310 so this is UNTESTED
seehttp://kpr3712.npage.de/downloads_89312177.html

rgds
Stephen

Stephen,

Thanks it worked and the screen is rotated portrait running SeeYou
Mobile. It took a lot of fussing around.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old November 17th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Henryk Birecki

If you really want to use iPaq 310 platform, you can also run GPS_LOG
WinCE on it after you load some aditional software into it. More
information on the Yahoo GPS-LOG users group
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GPS_LOG/)

Cheers,
Henryk Birecki

brianDG303 wrote:

Lots of us run flight software on a PDA and complain about the dim and
hard to read screen and can't help noticing those big bright GPS's we
get to drive around with. It looks like SeeYou Mobile will soon run on
some GPS platforms and it's now in beta running on the HP IPAQ 310
(Travel Companion) family.

These are available for $180 factory refurbished or for $225 new.
There are a ton of reviews to google and I'm not going to repeat that
information here, but a few things- the overall size of the 310 is a
little smaller than my IPAQ 3970 but the screen is a little bigger.
The 310 is a landscape only display and measures 94mm wide by 58mm
tall.

Screen brightness- The 310 is 4x the brightness of the IPAQ 3970 and
the same brightness as most other automotive GPS’s. There are other
advantages to the 310 over a PDA, the anti reflective coating is state
of the art so no aftermarket glare film is needed, and those cut the
light output by at least 16%. The crispness and contrast of the
screen, which is off the charts, help a lot. And the easy to adjust
mount combined with fair off-angle viewing allows the unit to be
adjusted to an angle that will minimize glare.

Other news of interest: already an outfit in Europe has connected an
HP 310 running SYM 3.1 beta to FLARM via a serial to bluetooth
adapter, there is a link to a video of this, as well as a link to a
comparison photo of SYM on a 310 and a PDA on the Naviter forum site.

PocketFMS, PDA flight software for powered flight, is ahead of
everyone else in this game and have a longer list of PNA's that will
run ported software. This will give a clue as to which PNA's are good
candidates for this conversion in the long run and what attributes
they'll have. The firmware (I think that is the limitation) of each
PNA's version of WindowsCE determines some of the features. (I don't
know much about operating systems and am on shakey ground here,
corrections invited) For instance, The 310 display runs in landscape
mode as opposed to PDA's portrait, and for flight software it seems
like portrait is better. The firmware (or whatever) of the 310 does
not allow it to be run in portrait, other PNA's will. The PocketFMS
people use the bluetooth connection to integrate ZAON traffic alerts
so this is another possibility for gliders.

Brian

Old November 17th 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303

{It took a lot of fussing around.}

Richard,
thanks for that. The gang at PocketFMS swears up and down it can't be
done so I assumed it was not possible.

Is this fussing that can be explained, or is it beyond us mortals? I
personally could be happy with landscape.

mounts.
I suspect that using the suction cup to stick the 310 to the glass
face of the altimeter won't get much approval. The ball and socket
part of the mount ends in a 1/2" flat that meets the flat of a
tightening knob. If the suction cup support arm was cut away a small
hole could be drilled into flat stock (or the panel itself)and the 310
mount could be attached by by using the tightening knob as a mounting
bolt.
Old November 17th 08, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DRN

On Nov 17, 6:01*pm, Richard wrote:
It took a lot of fussing around.

That's what PDAs are for !
See ya, Dave "YO electric"

Old November 18th 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_1_]

On Nov 17, 3:30*pm, brianDG303 wrote:
{It took a lot of fussing around.}

Richard,
thanks for that. The gang at PocketFMS swears up and down it can't be
done so I assumed it was not possible.

Is this fussing that can be explained, or is it beyond us mortals? I
personally could be happy with landscape.

mounts.
I suspect that using the suction cup to stick the 310 to the glass
face of the altimeter won't get much approval. The ball and socket
part of the mount ends in a 1/2" flat that meets the flat of a
tightening knob. If the suction cup support arm was cut away a small
hole could be drilled into flat stock (or the panel itself)and the 310
mount could be attached by by using the tightening knob as a mounting
bolt.

Brian,

Fisrt of all you need SeeYou Mobile installed on the SD Card. Then
start the 310 SeeYou Mobile will run, shut it down and connect with
active sync.

You have to copy the .cab file to the flash drive of you Ipaq 310 and
run it to install. Then run the rotate program it installs.

I will have a cable and power converter kit on my web in a couple of
days to power the 310 from your glider battery.

I will also have mounting solutions with a tilt swivel that connects
to goosenecks or ram mounts that I already sell.

The GPS seems to work OK with the unit sideways, I will do more
testing.

Also I have contacted SeeYou with the information. Some tuning of the
Beta program will be needed to make it look better. But it appears to
work.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old November 18th 08, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_1_]

On Nov 17, 3:35*pm, DRN wrote:
On Nov 17, 6:01*pm, Richard wrote:

It took a lot of fussing around.

That's what PDAs are for !
See ya, Dave "YO electric"

Dave,

That is why I designed and manufacture the Ultimate no fussing. We
could do a custom 24" diagonal screen for you will all your available
battery power.

http://www.craggyaero.com/ultimate.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old November 18th 08, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303

On Nov 17, 4:40*pm, Richard wrote:
On Nov 17, 3:35*pm, DRN wrote:

On Nov 17, 6:01*pm, Richard wrote:

It took a lot of fussing around.

That's what PDAs are for !
See ya, Dave "YO electric"

Dave,

That is why I designed and manufacture the Ultimate no fussing. *We
could do a custom 24" *diagonal screen for you will all your available
battery power.

http://www.craggyaero.com/ultimate.htm

Richardwww.craggyaero.com

Richard, then Dave will want a 24" diameter image of an ILEC SN10.

Old November 18th 08, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DRN

On Nov 17, 7:40*pm, Richard wrote:
Dave,

That is why I designed and manufacture the Ultimate no fussing. *We
could do a custom 24" *diagonal screen for you will all your available
battery power.

Unfortunately Richard, my glider, as with many popular
motorgliders, cannot accomodate this in the panel. Motor-
control, radio, transponder, full-size ASI, mini-Alt,
two mini-varios, and the ILEC SN10 fills the remaining
space...

Thanks for the offer though !
See ya, Dave "YO electric"