Thanks to White Sands Soaring Assoc.

Old April 13th 05, 07:40 PM
Rick

Default Thanks to White Sands Soaring Assoc.

ALAMOGORDO FIESTA 2004

The White Sands Soaring Club had a great "first" Fiesta over the
Memorial Day holidays. The club felt that late May and early June would
provide better soaring than the Turkey Fest that was held for years.
They were certainly correct and we have been able to enjoy the great
soaring conditions that Jim Day enjoyed at this site.

Participants started arriving on May 23rd, but the first few days only
provided local flying. The warm-up was good experience for the pilots
who had not flown over mountains before. The afternoon of May 29th
provided wave conditions with many pilots reporting over 20,000 ft.
John Bourland had the best flight of the day and completed his
"Diamonds" with a climb to 24,000 (18,000 gain). Rick Lewis
achieved "Gold" altitude and completed his Gold badge. It was a
beautiful sight to see gliders overhead at 20,000 ft as evening
approached.

May 30th brought the first good X-C flights. 300 km flights were
completed. I flew "FD" to Lincoln Station and return. I used my
last thermal 60 miles north of ALM at 1630 and then flew in ridge lift
until landing after 1900 (sunset 2006).

Hermann Rosing (flying Ron Tabery's "SS") explored the wave east
of Sierra Blanca and climbed to 27,255 (21,457 gain). Bernie Gross was
towing, but did not want to miss the fun and took the Pawnee to 20,000
ft. in the wave. He was very cold because the Pawnee is quite drafty.

Steve Turner (Mike Anderson's crew) flew with Mark Rose in the club
Grob on the 31st of May. He flew longer, further, and higher than he
had before.... great to see more smiles and hear the stories.

The "Pig Roast" was held at George and Pat Fish's home in
Tularosa on the evening of the 31st. Great meal, great setting amongst
the beautiful huge trees and live music too !!

The real flying began on the 1st of June:
=B7 Hermann Rosing completed his first 1000km flight to Taos and
return.
=B7 Bernie Gross set a NM State Record....Sports Class out and return
to a turnpoint east of Santa Fe on I-25.
=B7 Steven Gee flew his first 500km flight and completed his
"Diamonds".
=B7 Paul Bloxham flew his first 500km flight in a DG-300.
=B7 Martin Schulz put his weather briefing to good use and accomplished
"Gold" altitude on his "Gold" and "Diamond" distance flight
in the club's Hornet. He also completed his "Gold" badge.
=B7 Hermann, Bernie, and Steven were also trying for the longest
duration flight and all were staying up until sunset. Bernie landed @
20:03:13 followed by Steve about 30 seconds later and finally Hermann
at 20:04:30. The sun set @ 20:07:07.

The camp's last day provided more good flights for the early
launches. I flew to Taos for the Jim Crisp Memorial. The route was
Santa Fe, Durango, Ghost Ranch, and then to Taos. (Total distance 471
miles) I landed just before the crew arrived. Thanks go to Hans Schulze
and my wife, Pat for driving the car to Taos.

Bill Daniels flew his Nimbus 2C straight out 510km to Alamosa.

Hermann did it again, another 1000km flight, two days in a row.
I would like to thank all of the club members who made this event
possible, but special thanks to Martin Schulz for briefings, Art Davis,
Roger McMakin, Bernie Gross and Scratch Lee for tows and, of course,
Dave Reyes for everything else.

I wish I could say that this event will continue in 2005, but the club
has not been able to find tow planes and pilots to help this year. We
do hope to return in the future to enjoy the great hospitality and
conditions.

Rick Howell=09
Aux-powered Sailplane Assoc.