Whats it take to get a ride on a jump seat

Old December 3rd 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tman[_2_]

Default Whats it take to get a ride on a jump seat

Of a commercial airline flight. Is it just out of the question?
I have a comm'l ticket and am an avid aviator so we I might have
something to bond with the crew on the ground, and can understand the
need to stay out of their hair in the air.
That said, I'm not a beautiful lady, so I don't have that going for me.
I imagine that no degree of schmoozing and trying can get me into a jump
seat, unless I happen to know one of the crew. Anyone disagree?
Old December 3rd 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Tman wrote:

seat, unless I happen to know one of the crew. Anyone disagree?
Two

At least on a US based scheduled carrier, you can't usually there simply
by knowing the crew.

In the last year or two, "Flying" author Dick Karl did a ride-along with
fellow "Flying" author Les Abend, on one of Capt. Abend's trips. The
pass he needed required nearly an act of Congress to get, but it was
possible.

Once upon a time, Air Traffic Controllers were allowed to ride in the
jumpseat with proper FAA credentials. From what I understand, even that
is no longer allowed.

I've hitched rides on Part 135 shared charters by knowing the crew, but
the other passengers thought I was another paying customer, and there is
no FAA reg forbidding a free passenger.

When I was a kid in the 70's, a neighbor who flew for American took me
outside on the ramp to walk around parked aircraft @ JFK. We even got
to walk up the external Jetway stairs to tour the planes. It's too bad
there's pretty much no way to do casual stuff like that anymore.
Old December 3rd 08, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Tman" wrote in message
| Of a commercial airline flight. Is it just out of the question?
| I have a comm'l ticket and am an avid aviator so we I might have
| something to bond with the crew on the ground, and can understand the
| need to stay out of their hair in the air.
| That said, I'm not a beautiful lady, so I don't have that going for me.
| I imagine that no degree of schmoozing and trying can get me into a jump
| seat, unless I happen to know one of the crew. Anyone disagree?

Prior to 911, some airlines would allow employees (without facial hair) to
ride jump seat at the Captains discretion. The practice was not uncommon,
and often used to allow one more person on an otherwise full aircraft. No
way to tell how often the Captains said yes. Since 911, I'm not really sure.
The no facial hair requirement was specified to assure proper fit of the O2
mask in an emergency.

Old December 3rd 08, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Tman wrote:
Of a commercial airline flight. Is it just out of the question?
I have a comm'l ticket and am an avid aviator so we I might have
something to bond with the crew on the ground, and can understand the
need to stay out of their hair in the air.
That said, I'm not a beautiful lady, so I don't have that going for me.
I imagine that no degree of schmoozing and trying can get me into a jump
seat, unless I happen to know one of the crew. Anyone disagree?

Post 9/11 with locked doors to the cockpit and mouthwash being
confiscated?

You've got to be kidding.

Maybe on Aeroflot where they aren't quite as anal.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old December 3rd 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon[_5_]

"Tman" wrote in message
Of a commercial airline flight. Is it just out of the question?
I have a comm'l ticket and am an avid aviator so we I might have something
to bond with the crew on the ground, and can understand the need to stay
out of their hair in the air.
That said, I'm not a beautiful lady, so I don't have that going for me.
I imagine that no degree of schmoozing and trying can get me into a jump
seat, unless I happen to know one of the crew. Anyone disagree?

I used to do it all the time pre-9/11. A couple of the cool ones included a
take-off in a 747-440 from JFK and a 777 IMC approach into HKG. It was only
possible because my fiancee at the time was an active flight attendant at
the time. I've heard that it is possible now only on non-US carriers on
international flights while out of US airspace with an even better chance on
non-US airport trip pairs. If you don't know anyone, my guess is that your
chances are slim to none no matter what carrier.

If you really have the itch, go buy one of those World Air Routes in cockpit
videos. Aside from the [minimal] physical sensations, the experience is
identical and in many ways better since they explain the flight and aircraft
systems in many of the videos.

Marco

Old December 3rd 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallasâ„¢

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 19:16:58 -0500, Tman wrote:

Of a commercial airline flight. Is it just out of the question?

What you are trying to do is possible if you know a pilot and he/she has an
empty maintenance ferry flight.

I had the great fortune to ride on such a flight in a B-737 a couple of
years ago.

With no passengers the flight operates under Part 91 flight rules.

With passengers you are out of luck:
http://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part121-547-FAR.shtml

--
Dallas
Old December 3rd 08, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
terry

On Dec 4, 3:35*am, "Marco Leon" wrote:
t carrier.

If you really have the itch, go buy one of those World Air Routes in cockpit
videos. Aside from the [minimal] physical sensations, the experience is
identical and in many ways better since they explain the flight and aircraft
systems in many of the videos.

you wouldnt be related to Msxmanic by any chance?

Old December 3rd 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Maxwell wrote:
The no facial hair requirement was specified to assure proper fit of the O2
mask in an emergency.

?

I see lots of airline pilots with thick mustaches.
Old December 3rd 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"terry" wrote in message
On Dec 4, 3:35 am, "Marco Leon" wrote:
t carrier.

If you really have the itch, go buy one of those World Air Routes in
cockpit
videos. Aside from the [minimal] physical sensations, the experience is
identical and in many ways better since they explain the flight and
aircraft
systems in many of the videos.

you wouldnt be related to Msxmanic by any chance?

Hopefully they don't breed in large numbers.

Old December 3rd 08, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Tman" wrote in message
Of a commercial airline flight. Is it just out of the question?
I have a comm'l ticket and am an avid aviator so we I might have something
to bond with the crew on the ground, and can understand the need to stay
out of their hair in the air.
That said, I'm not a beautiful lady, so I don't have that going for me.
I imagine that no degree of schmoozing and trying can get me into a jump
seat, unless I happen to know one of the crew. Anyone disagree?

Was on a little puddle jumper when I was around 10 or so and to all places
"SPACE CAMP"! It was a regular flight but they allowed me and a friend that
went with me into the cockpit and watch for a little while, (now that I
think about it, kind of like in Airplane! but I don't remember the Captain
asking me about gladiator movies).

Whats in YOUR toolbox? Travis Beach Soaring 12 October 22nd 06 06:55 PM
Whats for Lunch? culverflyer Soaring 16 January 9th 05 11:31 PM
Whats an RT-24/APX-2 ? Tasp Military Aviation 1 September 15th 04 12:47 PM
Whats up with Avid Deckard Home Built 1 November 24th 03 11:08 AM
15 mph Stol whats the name Peg? Roland M Home Built 8 September 15th 03 11:58 PM