Dual glide slope, $95...priceless!

Old October 20th 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mark Hansen

Default Dual glide slope, $95...priceless!

On 10/20/06 13:08, Robert M. Gary wrote:
Mark Hansen wrote:
On 10/20/06 07:39, Robert M. Gary wrote:
Mark Hansen wrote:
Jack,

Great to hear! Also glad to hear you got that VOR problem resolved ;-)

By the way, our club now owns a brand new 172SP with the G1000!
I don't think I'm going to be flying it thought, but it sure looks nice!
I think the hourly rate is going to be something like $115 wet.

That's awesome! They're charging about that same price for old 172's at
Exec.

That's right. I did most of my training at SkyWalk, which was charging over
$100 for a 70's-era 172 with a GNS 430. I"m sure the prices are much higher
now. I tried to look at their rates online, but the site is broken ;-(

I love the club - not just the wet rate, but the insurance that is included
as well.

Too bad I"m on the wrong side of town. Davis is a long drive from
Folsom ;(

You don't really need to rent anyway, do you? On the other hand, if all
you want is access to a G1000-equipped airplane, the monthly dues for
the club are only $20 (although you have to maintain flight currency
in type at least every two months).

I can just imagine you flying to Davis to pick up the G1000 and go
fly it around :-)

Davis is about a 30 minute drive for me, so it's not too bad. Now the
smell of the cows ... that's another issue all together! ;-)
I'm a city boy, after all.

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old October 20th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Mark Hansen wrote:

You don't really need to rent anyway, do you? On the other hand, if all
you want is access to a G1000-equipped airplane, the monthly dues for
the club are only $20 (although you have to maintain flight currency
in type at least every two months).

No, but the G1000 rate is great. I also rent and sometimes instruct in
a G1000 182 at Executive. I really like the system but I still consider
my Mooney to be a more capable family travel machine than the G1000
182, mostly because of the speed difference. Its amazing to be pulling
13GPH and just keeping up with the traffic on the freeway in the 182.

Sadly the Mooney is now at Cameron Park and I'm afraid to fly it
because of some very strange recently fuel problems. I'm getting
different information all over the place. Before I spend $2000 to
overhaul a 600 hour fuel servo I want to look into it more. Owning a
plane, just managing maintenance, is a full time job.

-Robert

Old October 20th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mark Hansen

Mark Hansen wrote:

You don't really need to rent anyway, do you? On the other hand, if all
you want is access to a G1000-equipped airplane, the monthly dues for
the club are only $20 (although you have to maintain flight currency
in type at least every two months).

No, but the G1000 rate is great. I also rent and sometimes instruct in
a G1000 182 at Executive. I really like the system but I still consider
my Mooney to be a more capable family travel machine than the G1000
182, mostly because of the speed difference. Its amazing to be pulling
13GPH and just keeping up with the traffic on the freeway in the 182.

Yes, I almost bought into a Mooney partnership, but just couldn't fit
into the cockpit ;-(

Of course, most of my flying is just training and practice at this
point, so a (relatively) cheap Cessna is just fine. I'm not considering
long distance travel until later. Perhaps by then I'll fit ;-)

Sadly the Mooney is now at Cameron Park and I'm afraid to fly it
because of some very strange recently fuel problems. I'm getting
different information all over the place. Before I spend $2000 to
overhaul a 600 hour fuel servo I want to look into it more. Owning a
plane, just managing maintenance, is a full time job.

Yeah, I've been following the posts. Sorry to hear that, and I hope
it doesn't work out too badly for you.

Best of luck.
Old October 21st 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jack Allison[_1_]

Jim Burns wrote:
Jack,
I've got the same problem with our #1 glideslope. Do you know if they
pulled the recessed pins and replaced them? or did they simply push the pins
back in place?
Thanks,
Jim

Not sure Jim as one of my partners was dealing with the avionics shop on
this one. I'm unfamiliar with the type of connector involved so am not
sure what is possible in terms of pushing pins back in place vs. replacing.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

"To become a Jedi knight, you must master a single force. To become
a private pilot you must strive to master four of them"
- Rod Machado

Old October 21st 06, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jack Allison[_1_]

Jon Kraus wrote:
and don't forget, that is $95 divided by three! Partnerships can be a
very good thing... We are looking for a # 3 as well.. We'll see...

Do you have a new prospective #3 or is it still the same guy? Either
way, I hope it works out for the best.

Old October 21st 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jack Allison[_1_]

Mark Hansen wrote:

Great to hear! Also glad to hear you got that VOR problem resolved ;-)

Yeah, me too. Turns out one partner was working with ATC to have them
tell him when he was on a given airway. #2 nav said dead on, #1 nav
showed six degrees left of course. Gee, didn't we just see that
recently? :-)

By the way, our club now owns a brand new 172SP with the G1000!
I don't think I'm going to be flying it thought, but it sure looks nice!
I think the hourly rate is going to be something like $115 wet.

IIRC, my brother pays something like $112/hr. wet for a non glass 172SP
at KRHV. $115 wet for the G1000 172 sounds pretty reasonable...but,
yeah, I hear you. At some point, I'd like to get a couple hours in
something with a glass panel...no big hurry though.

Old October 21st 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jack Allison[_1_]

Robert M. Gary wrote:
The older VOR heads (the ones fed by the KX-170B style, not the KX-155
style) can be relied upon to be 6 degrees off every couple of months.

The one that was off is a newer Garmin, installed along with the GNS430
by the previous owner. While I haven't checked the logs on this, I'd
bet it hasn't been tuned since then. During the first 1.5 years of
ownership, both VORs were never more than +/- one degree.

Although technically an avionics shop needs to do the adjustment most
owners puchase the spline screwdriver and do the adjustment themselves.
You simply remove the OBS knob (via set screw) and there adjustment
screw is behind it. Usually I do it as MHR or SAC where you have a VOT.

Hmmm, interesting...not something that gets logged I'd bet :-)

Old October 21st 06, 05:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jack Allison[_1_]

Ben Jackson wrote:

That's awesome! Now you can fly two ILSs at once!!

That or divide DH by 2, right? :-)

Old October 21st 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

Jack, you are going to be in the position of the guy with two wris****ches.
He's never sure exactly what time it is.

"Jack Allison" wrote in message
. ..

Although technically an avionics shop needs to do the adjustment most
owners puchase the spline screwdriver and do the adjustment themselves.
You simply remove the OBS knob (via set screw) and there adjustment
screw is behind it. Usually I do it as MHR or SAC where you have a VOT.

Yes, and that setscrew is a SPLINE, and a little tiny bugger at that. It
takes the smallest spline in my toolbox to get it off. The screwdriver
needs to be a small long shaft as well...I've got an old footlong
eighth-inch fiberglass "TV Tuner adjuster" that works for me.

Hmmm, interesting...not something that gets logged I'd bet :-)

Log? You keep a LOG?????

{;-)

Jim

Old October 21st 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jack Allison[_1_]

RST Engineering wrote:
Jack, you are going to be in the position of the guy with two wris****ches.
He's never sure exactly what time it is.

LOL..."Ok we're above glide slope, no below glide slope, left of course,
on course...aw heck, average everything out between the two glide slopes
and localizers"

Yes, and that setscrew is a SPLINE, and a little tiny bugger at that. It
takes the smallest spline in my toolbox to get it off. The screwdriver
needs to be a small long shaft as well...I've got an old footlong
eighth-inch fiberglass "TV Tuner adjuster" that works for me.

Sounds like I need to get me one of those...um...for...er...when I need
to tune my TV :-)

Hmmm, interesting...not something that gets logged I'd bet :-)

Log? You keep a LOG?????

Well, yeah, gotta have some place to put those expensive stickers the
shops type up for us...on those occasions where we opt to have them work
on the plane that is :-)