What is going on?!

Old November 6th 03, 01:57 PM
Janusz Kesik

Default What is going on?!

Some month ago, I did delete r.a.s. from my list of subscribed =
newsgroups when I got a post with a virus attached. A month later (now) =
discovering few threads regarding Jantar I thought: "Maybe it was =
one-off infected posting". After TWO DAYS of my presence at r.a.s. =
forum, I have found a next "security patch" post with an attachment =
(this time I was very carefully moving my mouse to not to click =
accidentally as I had done it previously). Again.
What is going on with this newsgroup?! Do I have to give it a go =
definitely? :-/

Anyone knows the way to force the Outlook Express to not to download any =
posts with binary file attached from the news server?

Regards,

--=20
Janusz Kesik

visit
www.leszno.pl - home of the www.css-leszno.it.pl

Old November 7th 03, 01:00 AM
BTIZ

I do not have any problems with viruses from RAS, it must be your local news
server.. do you not run an anti virus software on your MS Outlook? Norton
does it very well. I am normally told when Dr. Norton finds something, but
they have never flagged a news group virus.

BT

"Janusz Kesik" wrote in message
Some month ago, I did delete r.a.s. from my list of subscribed newsgroups
when I got a post with a virus attached. A month later (now) discovering few
threads regarding Jantar I thought: "Maybe it was one-off infected posting".
After TWO DAYS of my presence at r.a.s. forum, I have found a next "security
patch" post with an attachment (this time I was very carefully moving my
mouse to not to click accidentally as I had done it previously). Again.
What is going on with this newsgroup?! Do I have to give it a go definitely?
:-/

Old November 7th 03, 01:37 AM
cernauta

"Janusz Kesik" wrote in message

Anyone knows the way to force the Outlook Express to not to download any
posts with binary file attached from the news server?

I have been introduced (by M Ravazzolo) to the use of "Mailwasher", a
program that allows you to check all the mail in your server, prior to
downloading. It's easy to use, you can preview sender and subject, the
size of attachments if present, even read the text when double clicking;
without downloading!
Then you can delete, or even "bounce" selected messages to the sender,
as if your account was not existent.
Only then, you start your normal mail program. Save a lot of time!

here it is for free in version 2 (1,4 MegaByte) (will not work on
Hotmail):
http://www.mailwasher.net/index.php

Aldo Cernezzi
Old November 7th 03, 02:39 AM
Chip Fitzpatrick

I don't know where the virus is coming from, but I find that Norton AntiVirus,
works well. www.symantec.com

McAfee is good too. I seem to get at least four messages a day.

Chip F
Old November 7th 03, 04:20 AM
Eric Greenwell

Janusz Kesik wrote:
Some month ago, I did delete r.a.s. from my list of subscribed newsgroups when I got a post with a virus attached. A month later (now) discovering few threads regarding Jantar I thought: "Maybe it was one-off infected posting". After TWO DAYS of my presence at r.a.s. forum, I have found a next "security patch" post with an attachment (this time I was very carefully moving my mouse to not to click accidentally as I had done it previously). Again.
What is going on with this newsgroup?! Do I have to give it a go definitely? :-/

I've never gotten an attachment on r.a.s, but maybe it was because I was
using a different newsreader (Gravity by Microplanet - now apparently
extinct).

I've attached a simple text file to this message to see if the
newsreader I've just begun to use (Netscape 7.1's news reader) will
bring in an attachment.

Anyone knows the way to force the Outlook Express to not to download any posts with binary file attached from the news server?

No, but Netscape won't download messages over a size I can set. By
setting this at 20 kb, for example, it would reject messages with any of
the usual viruses because they are larger than 20 kb. Perhaps Outlook
can also do this.

attachment test

Old November 7th 03, 05:05 AM
CH

it has not to be linked to RAS - a virus epidemic
has started three month ago.

I kill the virus attached mails

- like latest Microsoft Upgrade Patch....
- MS Security Session
- Microsoft Software Security Centre
and so on (which really do not come from MS)

to include words like Microsoft, Upgrade,
Security... in the spam filter for email
- Matador or Norton or .......

Using Internet and eMail without filters and
automatically updated Antivirus Software
guarantees a computer breakdown within
three month.

Chris

Old November 7th 03, 05:20 AM
BTIZ

Eric.. the "attachment test" words in the text file.. were there on my news
server "news.west.cox.net".. in the attached file.

all is well

BT

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
Janusz Kesik wrote:
[...]

----

attachment test

Old November 7th 03, 05:39 AM
goneill

Do not use a system hog like Nortons, It works but you pay a big
price in system resources and dollars.
I use Antivir its free and effective .
I agree with others about mailwasher
I have been using it since it first came out ,(its NZ written)
gary

Old November 7th 03, 07:20 AM
tango4

Have a look at running free AVG antivirus from www.grisoft.com I use it in
our offices and at home and have yet to be caught out by a virus. ( I've had
them delivered but AVG has caught them every time )
mailwasher is a good idea but wont help much with newsgroups like R.A.S, try
looking around for one of the other news readers -
http://cws.internet.com/news.html

Ian

Old November 7th 03, 01:26 PM
Scott Correa

[...]

You Know.....
you have 2 different email addys listed in the message.
The reply to has a "remove to reply" inserted in it.
the seconds one doesn't. I'd look at which address is getting the
mail. Newsgroups are fertile grounds for address snatching subroutines.
If you leave a valid address in the note, you screwed up.

Scott.