Buying/selling homebuilts

Old February 14th 08, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavalamb himself[_2_]

Default Buying/selling homebuilts (OT)

Anthony W wrote:

Steve Hix wrote:

As far as *operated* under LSA rules, here's one list:

http://www.sportpilot.org/learn/lsa/..._aircraft.html

I want to be able to work on my plane not just fly it under the FAA
rules, this excludes all former certificated aircraft.

Tony

Find an A&P that will put up with you for supervision and sign-off.
Do the work to his standards.
Get the A&P to recommend you for The Test
Get your OWN A&P rating.

Find some fool YOU can put up with for supervision and sign-off.
etc...

Old February 14th 08, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Anthony W wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

I'm still thinking it would be better to scratch build myself. I'm
very picky about how things go together and I doubt someone else as
picky as me wouldn't sell a plane they've built.

If it weren't for the certification rules, I'd buy an old classic and
restore it myself. I think that would be as satisfying as building
something from scratch.

Tony

You can do that. You need a certified person to do the signoffs, but
you can do all the work...

Finding someone that would sign off on the work is highly unlikely since
I would also expect to rebuild the engine myself too.

Tony

There are a lot of folks restoring older aircraft out there and not all
of them are A&Ps. I'd be willing to bet that there is a subset of A&Ps
around the country that if they don't specialize in checking restorer's
work at least do it regularly. You might check with the EAA.