Rear passenger legroom in arrow

Old October 21st 04, 11:58 PM
Jay Honeck

What light planes DO have nice backseats? Also, if you are below 200hp,
you are unlikely going to need much room back there.

Our '74 Pathfinder has a very spacious back seat. On the rare occasions
when I've ridden in the back (while Mary was flying with our daughter as
co-pilot) I have been very comfortable -- and I'm 6 feet tall, most of it in
the legs.

It's safe to say that our back seats are FAR more comfortable than any
modern airliners, sad to say. And the view is better, too!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 22nd 04, 12:29 AM
Newps

Jay Honeck wrote:
What light planes DO have nice backseats? Also, if you are below 200hp,
you are unlikely going to need much room back there.

Our '74 Pathfinder has a very spacious back seat.

Yep my 182 is really good also. After the front seat passengers get
squared away there is enough room to have a swing up foot rest
installed, just like your Lazy Boy.
Old October 22nd 04, 12:49 AM

On 21-Oct-2004, "Dahlin" wrote:

I currently fly a 1969 140 and am considering buying an Arrow. Is there
more leg room for rear passengers in the Arrow than the 140? Is there a
difference in the pre 72 and post 72 Arrows with the longer fuselage as
far as legroom. I'm tall and need the seat back which doesn't leave any
leg
room in the 140. I've been told the PA-28 line is all about the same but I
have
a hard time believing a true 4 seater would have as little leg room in
back
as the 140.

I have an Arrow IV (1979 model), and I used to own a 1968 Cherokee 140, so I
feel your pain. I have also flown in earlier model Arrows and Cherokee
180s.

Early Arrows (pre Arrow II, i.e. before the 1973 model year), as well as
Cherokee 180s of he same vintage, are somewhat limited in rear seat legroom,
although they are certainly better in that regard than Cherokee 140s.
However, Piper added 5 inches to the rear seat area with a fuselage stretch
starting with the Arrow II. I believe other 4-place Cherokees (other than
the 140) got the same stretch around the same time. Anyway, these more
recent Arrows have quite adequate rear seat legroom. In ours, four adults
can fly very comfortably. It should be noted that the front seats have more
rearward travel than they really need -- well, maybe not for NBA centers --
and shoved all the way back they will encroach rather dramatically on rear
seat legroom, but this is a pretty common feature of 4-place light airplanes
-- and medium-sized cars, for that matter.
--
-Elliott Drucker
Old October 22nd 04, 01:07 AM
Ben Jackson

In article caXdd.292677$D%.15084@attbi_s51,
Jay Honeck wrote:
Our '74 Pathfinder has a very spacious back seat.

The back seat of my 65 Comanche is pretty comfortable, but I've never
gotten to sit there in flight. The front edge of the back seat is
constrained by the main spar, but the seat is very deep so that even a
tall guy like me is mostly sitting on the seat rather than hanging off.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old October 22nd 04, 01:09 AM
Jay Honeck

The back seat of my 65 Comanche is pretty comfortable, but I've never
gotten to sit there in flight.

Trust me -- it's a weird feeling.

And a very helpless one, after you've grown used to being within reach of
the controls...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 22nd 04, 01:46 AM
Dude

I believe the new skylanes are a little less roomy than yours due to the new
padding, but still likely very comfortable with most pilots. I sit with the
seat pretty far back and high up. This gets me to where I can see, yet
keeps the yoke off my thighs.

I have been described as "mostly legs".

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Dude wrote:

What light planes DO have nice backseats? Also, if you are below 200hp,
you are unlikely going to need much room back there.

My 67 Skylane had lots of room in the back seat once the front seats were
adjusted to flying positiong (they go WAY back for getting into the
front). I'm 6' and once I'd moved the seat forward to a comfortable
flying position, my kids could kneel on the floor behind my seat and use
their seat for a table for their coloring books! In the Arrow, there is
about 6" between the seats vs. probably 16" in the Skylane.

Matt

Old October 22nd 04, 02:14 AM
The Weiss Family

"Dude" wrote in message
What light planes DO have nice backseats? Also, if you are below 200hp,

you
are unlikely going to need much room back there.

I just bought a Beech Super III.
It is really roomy!
I'm 6'1" and keep the seat all the way back.
My Dad sat behind me with no trouble at all...

Old October 22nd 04, 03:56 AM
zatatime

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:14:51 -0700, "The Weiss Family"
wrote:

I just bought a Beech Super III.
It is really roomy!
I'm 6'1" and keep the seat all the way back.
My Dad sat behind me with no trouble at all...

You're just lookin' for an excuse to talk about your airplane aren't
ya? ))

Old October 22nd 04, 04:15 AM
The Weiss Family

You're just lookin' for an excuse to talk about your airplane aren't
ya? ))

You bet! Just give me another ;-)

Old October 22nd 04, 05:11 AM
Bruce Cunningham

"Dahlin" wrote in message ...
I currently fly a 1969 140 and am considering buying an Arrow. Is there
more leg room for rear passengers in the Arrow than the 140? Is there a
difference in the pre 72 and post 72 Arrows with the longer fuselage as far
as legroom. I'm tall and need the seat back which doesn't leave any leg room
in the 140. I've been told the PA-28 line is all about the same but I have a
hard time believing a true 4 seater would have as little leg room in back as
the 140.

My 1969 Cardinal has 14 inches(just measured it) from the front edge
of the back seat to the back of the front seat with it adjusted for
flight. I am 5'11" tall. There is plenty of room for children to sit
in the floor and use the seat to play board games, as my niece and
nephew have done this. Cardinal RG's have the same cabin dimensions.
Cardinals are wide too. Beech Sundowners and Sierras are also very
spacious inside.

Regards,
Bruce Cunningham
N30464

Meting with a Lancaster rear gunner Dave Eadsforth Military Aviation 12 November 22nd 03 08:08 AM
More long-range Spitfires and daylight Bomber Command raids, with added nationalistic abuse (was: #1 Jet of World War II) The Revolution Will Not Be Televised Military Aviation 161 September 25th 03 07:35 AM
#1 Jet of World War II Christopher Military Aviation 203 September 1st 03 03:04 AM
Long-range Spitfires and daylight Bomber Command raids (was: #1 Jet of World War II) The Revolution Will Not Be Televised Military Aviation 20 August 27th 03 09:14 AM
Why not a Quad Tiltrotor Pusher-Puller? Blair Maynard Naval Aviation 4 July 2nd 03 07:52 AM