PowerFlarm Core + Libelle 301

Old December 23rd 15, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner

Default PowerFlarm Core + Libelle 301

Has anyone attempted to mount a PowerFlarm antenna in a Libelle? Any advice?

Thanks.
Old December 23rd 15, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 5:03:08 PM UTC-5, Kevin Christner wrote:
Has anyone attempted to mount a PowerFlarm antenna in a Libelle? Any advice?

Thanks.

Nose is all glass so it should be able to be mounted on the instrument tray without too much pain.
Have fun
UH
Old December 23rd 15, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Kevin, I installed a Flarm Core in a 201 Libelle which should be nearly the same. Initially I placed the two antennas (dipole) on either side of the canopy hold down mechanism about 8 inches apart, on little lexan posts. It looked really cool but worked poorly probably because of some weirdness with the nearby metal in the latch. I then mounted one on either side of the cockpit nose with velcro about the level of my knees. It works great, and has excellent range. Try to stay several inches above the rudder cables.
Dale Bush
Old December 23rd 15, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On my Standard Libelle the antennas are in the nose on either side of the cockpit and attached with Velcro. I would say they are just a few inches forward of the instrument tray and right at the widest part of the cockpit section. They are out of the way and seems to work well enough.

Robert

Old December 24th 15, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner

Dale,

How far forward did you mount them?

Looking at the manuals it appears the newer devices use two antennas on a single mount. Are you using a second set of antennas on both sides of the cockpit?

Thanks,

Kevin
Old December 24th 15, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I think they are about six inches below the panel bottom and about 18 inches aft of the rudder pedals. Using two antennas gives better reception, as I think only one transmits Flarm data.
Dale
Old December 24th 15, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 5:03:08 PM UTC-5, Kevin Christner wrote:
Has anyone attempted to mount a PowerFlarm antenna in a Libelle? Any advice?

Thanks.

Kevin,

I installed PowerFLARM in my (then) H301. The antennas were installed with velcro pads just forward of the step in the cockpit wall below the panel. That is just about as far apart as you can get them in a Libelle and they are both pretty much vertical. Worked great!

Uli
Old December 25th 15, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner

Thanks for all the advice.

Corollary question... If you have gone from one to two antennas did you see significantly improved accuracy?
Old December 25th 15, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have always had 2.
Old December 25th 15, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Flarm position accuracy is based on GPS so has nothing to do with antennas. The second antenna (and overall antenna setup) affects coverage and range.

Kirk
66