Flying from Naples to key west and up through KMIA

Old June 16th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Flying from Naples to key west and up through KMIA

A colleague of mine (also a fellow pilot) and I are planning a cross
country flight in a Piper Archer from Jacksonville to Naplesthen
direclyt south to Key West, then back to Jax following the Keys and
through (or over or under or around) the KMIA airspace.

We expect to do the trip sometime in the fall of this year.

Anyone have any advice, experiences? We are mostly curious about the
overwater flight from Naples (life vests and survival equipment) and
across the ADIZ and about transitioning through, over under or around
Miami's airspace.

Kirk

Old June 16th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 17:42:55 GMT, "Mike Schumann"
wrote:

Why not fly south from Naples to Key West along the shoreline. Much more
scenic and safer.

Mike Schumann

Hmmm ... Out over Ten Thousand Islands and down to East Cape then it's
just a 25 mile hop across to Marathon (MTH). If we go that route, I'd
suggest to my co-pilot that we not even bother going down to Key West.
Stay overnight at Marathon then head back north. At least the trip
back north would be 40 miles shorter.

And you are right, the scenery along the Everglades National Park
would be better.

The main reason I wanted to take the straight shot down to Key West
was to experience at least once what it's like to be out over the open
water in a GA aircraft that I am flying. Right now that would be part
of the adventure.

Kirk Ellis
Old June 16th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

When in Naples, remember to stop at MichaelBobs.
Walk out of the Naples Airport authority, out the airport access road.
Across the main road to your left is MichaelBobs. If the line is too
long ro you to wait, place a carryout order, walk back to the airport,
sit on the bench and watch the airplanes.
Old June 17th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Kirk Ellis wrote in message
A colleague of mine (also a fellow pilot) and I are planning a cross
country flight in a Piper Archer from Jacksonville to Naplesthen
direclyt south to Key West, then back to Jax following the Keys and
through (or over or under or around) the KMIA airspace.

Dood. Fly over the keys and don't hassle with the scenic flight over water.
That highway and link to civilization is a very convenient place to ditch if
you have to swim. Flying over the islands at 3000 AGL is a terribly cool
thing to do. The millions of islands and colorful water was a very
memorable experience.

Watch out for that balloon with a 15,000 foot sting attached.

I was given a straight though shot through MIA. Ain't no big deal. Just
get clearance and do what they say.

When you get to the EWY expect a $20.00 taxi ride. Once you get to your
destination, rent a scooter for the rest of the trip.

Drink one for me.

--
Jim Fisher

Old June 17th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jim" wrote:
Dood. Fly over the keys and don't hassle with the scenic flight over water.
That highway and link to civilization is a very convenient place to ditch if
you have to swim. Flying over the islands at 3000 AGL is a terribly cool
thing to do. The millions of islands and colorful water was a very
memorable experience.

I've only been down to EWY once. After a little minor negotiating about
over-water vs. following the keys, my clearance out of Miami was
essentially, "Cleared to Key West via whatever you want to do".
Old June 19th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Kirk Ellis wrote in message
Anyone have any advice, experiences? We are mostly curious about the
overwater flight from Naples (life vests and survival equipment) and
across the ADIZ and about transitioning through, over under or around
Miami's airspace.

To go direct from APF to EYW, you will need to be on a DVFR flight plan.
When activating this flightplan with St. Pete radio, they will assign you a
transponder code that you will squawk until reaching EYW unless ATC assigns
a different code. Life jackets are not required for Part 91 operations, but
are strongly advised.

Transitioning through MIA's Class 'B' is done easiest by staying at or below
1000' and following the beach.

D.