Another Addition to the Rec.Aviation Rogue's Gallery!

Old January 21st 04, 04:02 AM
Jay Honeck

Obviously, you thought wrong. Yet, you continue with your rude
spamming by posting yet another crossposted "update" notice today.
Since my last post, three more of your friends have suggested that a
monthly "update" notice interval might be better, yet you apparently
turn a blind eye to their constructive advice. And two more people
have since publicly killfiled you. No telling how many have quietly
killfiled you. You WILL eventually come to regret your spamming

Look, doofus "Lance"-boy, up till now I've accommodated your condescending
bull**** tone with uncommon good humor -- but you've crossed the line.

The Rogue's Gallery of airplane photos exists for the people who use this
group. I have created it in my "spare" time, and -- in case you haven't
noticed -- no one here much cares if you don't like it. Personally, I've
got a business to run, a family to raise, and flying to do, and I don't have
time to put together some sort of an "Outlook-style" calendar of monthly
updates, just so idiots like you don't have to read "excessive" 3-sentence
posts.

I understand these brief updates may tax your attention span, your patience,
and your memory -- but for those contributors who have spent a fair amount
of time compiling their photos (and narratives) into a package that they
sent to me, fully expecting their photos to be published for all to see, it
is only fair to THEM that their presence in the Gallery be announced to all
in this forum.

Maybe when you post your real, full name, rather than hiding behind a
pseudonym and a bogus email address, someone here will care what you think.
Until you develop that kind of a spine, however, I suggest finding another
hobby.

So kill-file me -- PLEASE! -- and leave this group to the constructive folks
who benefit from its existence.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 21st 04, 04:13 AM
Dumber than Dumb

Lance W wrote:

Obviously, you thought wrong. Yet, you continue with your rude
spamming by posting yet another crossposted "update" notice today.
Since my last post, three more of your friends have suggested that a
monthly "update" notice interval might be better, yet you apparently
turn a blind eye to their constructive advice. And two more people
have since publicly killfiled you. No telling how many have quietly
killfiled you. You WILL eventually come to regret your spamming
because the backlash will continue to mount just as it always has in
the past. Before your rudeness was exposed, I had planned to stay a
night or two at your establishment. That, of course, won't happen now.

Sounds like he's too stupid to realize that you can win the battle but
lose the war.
Old January 21st 04, 02:07 PM
Jack Davis

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 04:02:16 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Personally, I've got a business to run, a family to raise, and flying to do

You're my kind of guy, Jay. My wife and I are already working on an
excuse to come stay at your place.

-J

Jack Davis
B-737

Old January 21st 04, 03:02 PM
Peter R.

Lance W ) wrote:

Obviously, you thought wrong. Yet, you continue with your rude
spamming by posting yet another crossposted "update" notice today.

I am continually amazed at people who spend more energy bitching about a
problem than solving it.

Since Jay uses the same wording in every subject line of these posts, why
not simply create a rule in your newsreader to ignore the threads. Takes
about five seconds of time and in return, you will receive a lifetime of
stress-free newsgroup browsing. Or even easier, just killfile him
altogether.

Either solution uses much less energy than the effort required for you to
whine and bitch here.

--
Peter

Old January 21st 04, 03:27 PM
Jay Honeck

Either solution uses much less energy than the effort required for you to
whine and bitch here.

They're not interested in a "solution" -- because they are trying to find a
"solution" where no problem exists. If you don't want to read about the new
people in the gallery, just skip the topic and move on. We're not talking
rocket science here...

Oh well -- every time these few dolts complain about the announcements, I
receive a slew of new additions to the Rogue's Gallery in my email. The
success of the Gallery speaks for itself, as we've now got over 70
participants' planes displayed!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"Peter R." wrote in message
Lance W ) wrote:

Obviously, you thought wrong. Yet, you continue with your rude
spamming by posting yet another crossposted "update" notice today.

I am continually amazed at people who spend more energy bitching about a
problem than solving it.

Since Jay uses the same wording in every subject line of these posts, why
not simply create a rule in your newsreader to ignore the threads. Takes
about five seconds of time and in return, you will receive a lifetime of
stress-free newsgroup browsing. Or even easier, just killfile him
altogether.

--
Peter

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Old January 21st 04, 05:56 PM
RU ok

Peter R. wrote:

I am continually amazed at people who spend more energy bitching about a
problem than solving it.

Since Jay uses the same wording in every subject line of these posts, why
not simply create a rule in your newsreader to ignore the threads. Takes
about five seconds of time and in return, you will receive a lifetime of
stress-free newsgroup browsing. Or even easier, just killfile him
altogether.

Either solution uses much less energy than the effort required for you to
whine and bitch here.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm with you Peter, but...

This is an UNMODERATED GROUP. Period.
This is also a frontier where net cops and control freaks
abound to get their rocks off. It's always been this way.
Neither you nor I can change this. So, why don't we
both stop adding to the noise...
starting right now.

Let the lamers, loons, freaks and the jack-offs do their thing.
If nothing else, it makes real life and the real world
safer while they are on line.

Barnyard BOb -- free speech and filter advocate

Old January 21st 04, 08:38 PM
Snowbird

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:cRmPb.110270$xy6.329120@attbi_s02...
Obviously, you thought wrong. Yet, you continue with your rude
spamming by posting yet another crossposted "update" notice today.
Since my last post, three more of your friends have suggested that a
monthly "update" notice interval might be better, yet you apparently
turn a blind eye to their constructive advice. And two more people
have since publicly killfiled you. No telling how many have quietly
killfiled you. You WILL eventually come to regret your spamming

Look, doofus "Lance"-boy, up till now I've accommodated your condescending
bull**** tone with uncommon good humor -- but you've crossed the line.

Jesu, Jay! Talk about crossing the line!

The Rogue's Gallery of airplane photos exists for the people who use this
group. I have created it in my "spare" time, and -- in case you haven't
noticed -- no one here much cares if you don't like it. Personally, I've
got a business to run, a family to raise, and flying to do, and I don't have
time to put together some sort of an "Outlook-style" calendar of monthly
updates, just so idiots like you don't have to read "excessive" 3-sentence
posts.

Look, Jay. Several people, myself included, have pointed out
that you're creating a red herring here. No one has suggested an
"Outlook-style" calendar -- just that you turn down the volume
a bit.

If you have time to post each time you update, you have time
to take the text you post, add it to a .txt file, then post
that .txt file once a month. It really just makes you look
pretty silly to suggest otherwise.

If you choose to do things differently, so be it, but I really
think you ought to sit down, drink a beer, and ask yourself
just what you're accomplishing by actively abusing those who
don't like what you're doing now as "idiots" etc etc. Because
whatever people's views on your frequent posts are (and I suspect
most people didn't care either way), I think you might be
starting to leave an impression. I know I'm getting one I
didn't have before.

And frankly, if people don't like what you're doing, they
have no obligation to killfile you; they have as much right
to post their objections as you have to post whatever you
please.

Now have at me, Big Guy.

Sydney
Old January 22nd 04, 01:18 AM
Kevin Horton

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:56:18 -0600, Barnyard Bob ok wrote:

So, why don't we both stop
adding to the noise...
starting right now.

Barnyard BOb -- free speech and filter advocate

Barnyard BOb asking people to stop adding to the noise?

ROTFLMAO

--
Kevin Horton RV-8 (finishing kit)
Ottawa, Canada

Old January 22nd 04, 05:09 AM
Snowbird

Peter R. wrote in message ...
I am continually amazed at people who spend more energy bitching about a
problem than solving it.

Peter,

With respect, while you're perfectly correct about the ease
of filtering or disregarding some posts, I think you misunderstand
what some people see as the issue. It's not a problem which can
really be solved by individual filters. Let me explain.

I was kinda hoping that someone better at explaining USENET
history than I would address this but, seems not so I'll take
a shot. This is for informational and educational purposes
and isn't intended to induce anyone to purchase a lottery ticket.

Suppose you found a newsgroup with an interesting topic
like rec.aviation.whatever. However, when you downloaded
the posts, it was chock full of posts from commercial
establishments. Now there might still be people talking
in the NG. They might even be having interesting discussions
about flying and airplanes that you'd like to join. But
if you didn't know what posters or topics to killfile, it
would just look like a group full of junk and you'd wander
on. Eventually, as the regulars moved on through normal
attrition, there'd be less and less topical discussion and
the ng would wither. (stay with me, I'm getting to the point)

For that reason among others, newsgroups prohibit commercial
postings. Since many commercial sites include useful or
interesting information, posts which direct the reader to
interesting information on a commercial site are widely
considered to be commercial postings even if they just say
"come see the cool updated info on my commercial site".

This is a bit of a gray area, obviously, and different people
will see it differently. If the web site is cited as an
answer to a direct question ie "where can I get information
about how to make my own aircraft antennae?" or "where
can I find pictures of all you hooligans?" I think very
few people object. For some, the dividing line is the
frequency of posts directing the reader to the site or
to what extent they are cross-posted. Occasional posts
don't typically draw comment. Frequent posts, esp. cross
posted, start looking more like spam.

But the concern is: if one business person is making
frequent posts directing people to updates of the non-
commercial stuff on his commercial site and that's
considered just ducky, will other business people
follow suit? It's especially a concern if they're all
cross posted; will we soon have multiple newsgroups
packed full of such postings, where it's hard to find
the 'signal'?

It's a valid concern. I've seen similar things happen
to other newsgroups I used to read.

And it's clearly not a concern which can be "solved"
by everyone who objects killfiling the offending threads
or poster. In fact, doing so might be seen as counter-
productive, since if such posts are seen to meet with
nothing but approval, other businesspeople could (with
justification) see it as an approved, appropriate thing
to do.

I cherish the rec.aviation groups, most of which have
a pretty high signal to noise despite the occasional
Invasion of the Loons or heated argument. I really
don't want to see them become a Forest of "Come see
the latest update to my rec.aviation flight tracker
info on my site!"

It seems to me that the issue has several solutions.
Most web hosting services seem to allow multiple
domain names. The "rogue's gallery" could be put
under a separate domain, rather than as a part of
Jay's site. Update notices could be posted at
a more reasonable interval. But compromise doesn't
seem to be on the agenda here (shades of my 4 yo:
cover ears NYA NYA NYA YOU'RE STUPID I'M NOT LISTENING
YOU'RE A BUM NYA NYA) and this whole thread seems
to be bringing out Beaucoup du Loons, so I'm outta
here.

Since Jay uses the same wording in every subject line of
these posts, why not simply create a rule in your newsreader
to ignore the threads.

Because, while it's easy, it wouldn't solve what some see
as the problem.

Hope this helps clarify the issues for some,
Sydney
Old January 22nd 04, 12:54 PM
Jay Honeck

Because, while it's easy, it wouldn't solve what some see
as the problem.

Hope this helps clarify the issues for some,

Yes, it does. Thanks, Sydney.

Although (as always happens when an uproar like this starts rolling along)
I've now got a back-log of photos and bios from eager contributors to upload
to the Gallery, I will try to keep their announcements to a minimum.

It's a real shame that this site -- created solely for users of this
forum -- is being painted with the same brush as commercial sites, but I
*do* see your point. It's a slippery slope from announcing the Rogue's
Gallery additions to allowing other sites with more tangential (I.E.:
commercial) connections -- and then all we'll have here is a newsgroups full
of commercial announcements. I, too, have seen this happen to other
newsgroups, and it destroys the group.

Please be aware, all, that I created the Rogue's Gallery with the best of
intentions.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA