PW-6 family fun ------

Old March 8th 06, 06:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default PW-6 family fun ------

Rightly so... That's why I'm a Schempp boy.

At 14:06 07 March 2006, Gk wrote:
One of your competitiors had some interesting comments
about the
quality of the LS glider he was using; grid mechanic
was running the
other way each time he seen him and his quality built
glider...

Old March 8th 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Comparing these two gliders is like comparing a BMW
and a Hyundai.

In the United States, BMW sales numbers are declining.
They haven't been in the top ten in build quality for
at
least the last five years. Maybe you meant to say a
Honda or Toyota, huh?
Hyundai cars seem to be getting better every year as
evidenced by their 10 year/100,000 mile warrenty, new
models and consistantly increasing sales in the U.S.
What quality differences are you talking about?

Oh, come on. Our club PW5s and 6s are only a few years
old but they look worse than my fathers 30 year old
Cirrus.

I can see you making a positive comment about the
K-21 if you prefer it, but I don't understand why you
get any satisfaction from putting down other people's
ships.

It amuses me how tetchy people get when people make
observations about their gliders. I have a D2... I
can't close the canopy if I wear thick shoes! I don't
get emotional about others making comments on this
- the glider has it's short-comings. I'm not putting
down the PW6 - just discussing the differences.

These two place ships are mostly bought by clubs and
most clubs, at least here in the U.S. are on a budget.
So, Yes a $40,000 price difference plus lower refinish
costs and lower parts costs are a very good incentive
to purchase a PW-6.

My point exactly. Different strokes etc...

Also, check the finish of a 5 year old 6 vs a 5 year
old 21.

Let's see, a polyurethene paint job versus a gel coat
refinish.
Hmmmm, which costs a lot more?

Again, my point exactly. You seem to have answered
your own questions regarding quality.

Cheers,

Old March 8th 06, 12:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On 7 Mar 2006 08:03:58 GMT, Ben Flewett
wrote:

There's nothing wrong with the PW6 if you are buying
to a price. It lower quality and therefore cheaper.

John Ruskin (19th century) already knew it:

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a
little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider
price only are this man's lawful prey."

To get back to the original thread "family fun".
It's great to share soaring with family and friends.
That's why I sold my V2cT a few years ago and bought a Duo.
Of course you can also have great fun with a PW6.

Old March 8th 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

At 07:06 08 March 2006, Ben Flewett wrote:
Oh, come on. Our club PW5s and 6s are only a few years
old but they look worse than my fathers 30 year old
Cirrus.

Ben,

Many congrats. on your GP win.

With regard to your club's PW5's & 6's - this is not
an uncommon fate of club gliders - especially if regularly
flown to high altitudes.
Also - these were Swidnik-made machines - a somewhat
different kettle of fish from Bielsko-produced gliders.

We shall see how ZS Jezow performs in this respect
- but I am optimistic - since these are Bielsko-trained
people, with long experience in glider manufacture.
I am quite sure that the factory will put on any finish
that the customer requests.
Vorgelat T35 seems popular at this time.
We'll see how it performs.

I know that SZ Jezow is seeking constructive comments/criticisms
from owners of these gliders and would very much welcome
a feedback from your club.
If you - or any suitably qualified member of your club
- would care to produce a report/critique, I am sure
that Mr. Henryk Mynarski would be most grateful.

This could be mailed to him directly - or, if more
convenient - via me (at the 'pilotbald' address above).
I know the man personally and would happily pass the
information on.

Bald Pilot.
UK.

Old March 8th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a
little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider
price only are this man's lawful prey."

"It's like oats…..if you want good, clean fresh oats, you have to pay a
fair price for them. If you can be satisfied with the oats that have
already gone through the horse, they come cheaper."
Old March 8th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ben Flewett wrote:
Rightly so... That's why I'm a Schempp boy.

I always liked Curly better :-)

Tony V.
Old March 10th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default PW-6 family fun ------ Acro requirements

PW-6 is approved for IMC and performs aerobatics except continuous
inverted flying and full rolls -- most owners never need these.

If you're going to learn to fly acro. You need to learn how to do those
maneuvers. So if someone is actually buying one of these aircraft to do
acro, they need them whether they know it or not. This is similar to the
limitations on the L-13 while flying dual, and it isn't widely advertised,
or used as an aerobatic ship... The L-13AC is. Of course, if they are
not flying acro, they have no need...

In order to not be misleading, that statement really should be that the PW-6
performs limited positive G aerobatic maneuvers only. Personally, as
someone who flies acro on a regular basis, I would not consider doing so in
a ship not rated for negative maneuvers. It's too easy to screw things up
and inadvertently apply considerable negative G forces in such a way to
break something.

Mark Lenox

Old March 10th 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Very good statement.

A36 for Family Trips Bob Owning 9 June 9th 05 04:06 AM
SU-37 Family avionics equipment LIM Military Aviation 0 April 28th 04 03:17 AM
Flying and the New Family Marco Leon Piloting 33 December 24th 03 06:11 PM
PC flight simulators Bjørnar Bolsøy Military Aviation 178 December 14th 03 12:14 PM
Lindbergh's other family Larry Dighera Piloting 11 December 3rd 03 12:30 AM