Mountain waves in Germany on Feb 5th

Old February 11th 11, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

Default Mountain waves in Germany on Feb 5th

Last weekend (Feb 5th and Feb 6th 2011) we had the strongest mountain
wave ever experienced in the Rhine valley.

Altitudes reached were FL240 - not too shabby for mountains that are
only 1.500 ft high in average, isn't it?

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...=2011&c=DE&sc=

Climb rates were up to 12 kts (usually we are glad to exceed 2 kts).
Unfortunately we seldom exceed 7.000 ft in this part of Germany, so
only a couple of lucky guys were equipped with Transponders and Oxygen
that allowed them to climb past FL100.

Publicity-wise this day was hugely successful, too:
We got a couple of huge articles in nationwide newspapers, some of
them one third of a page!

For the German-speaking readers:
http://www.bilderhoster.net/safeforbilder/mt69yv2k.jpg

We got literally hundres of high-quality photos and videos (many of
the air-to-air from close range) - you can find some of the pictures
he
http://www.schwerewelle.de/
http://www.schwerewelle.de/berichte/...rms-ca.-5.500m
http://www.schwerewelle.de/berichte/...er-seitentitel
http://www.schwerewelle.de/berichte/...penheim-7.041m

Regards
Andreas

Old February 11th 11, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

Dang, and I had to do family things last Saturday!
Old February 11th 11, 01:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

http://www.schwerewelle.de/

Clearly, soaring is just as hard on the hair in Germany as the US :-).

Great day, thanks for sharing.

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old February 11th 11, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...?st=olcp&rt=ol....

Climb rates were up to 12 kts (usually we are glad to exceed 2 kts).
Unfortunately we seldom exceed 7.000 ft in this part of Germany, so
only a couple of lucky guys were equipped with Transponders and Oxygen
that allowed them to climb past FL100.

Publicity-wise this day was hugely successful, too:
We got a couple of huge articles in nationwide newspapers, some of
them one third of a page!

For the German-speaking readers:http://www.bilderhoster.net/safeforbilder/mt69yv2k.jpg

We got literally hundres of high-quality photos and videos (many of
the air-to-air from close range) - you can find some of the pictures
hehttp://www.schwerewelle.de/http://ww...elzer-wald-haa...

Regards
Andreas

Wave?
On a weekend?
At Landau?
Really?

I sure hope some celebratory beers were enjoyed at the end of the
day!!!!

Well done!

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Giant Atmospheric Waves 5Z Soaring 5 October 12th 07 11:08 PM
FAA Blessing for Blue Mountain or Rocky Mountain instruments??? dave Home Built 2 May 26th 06 01:56 PM
"RODEO in the Sky" (Movie -Turbulence/Mountain Waves) Rene Heise Soaring 1 October 13th 04 07:40 PM
Radio waves vs light waves Jay Honeck Piloting 63 February 22nd 04 05:14 PM
Gravity Waves [email protected] Soaring 0 December 10th 03 06:13 AM