Advise wanted for maintaining gelcoat that is already FUBAR

Old April 7th 15, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PBA

Default Advise wanted for maintaining gelcoat that is already FUBAR

Thanks for taking a look.
Pictures are linked below.
The story goes this poor glider sat in a trailer for some years in Texas and it ate the otherwise bulletproof gelcoat.

Per usual the tops of the wings are the worst. Some of the sanding has gotten down to the gray layer that covers the fiberglass. Deep crazing/cracking in the gelcoat covers most of the upper surfaces of the glider.

I have no interest in a refinish at this time.

Perhaps I should just do nothing, but you can feel the "roughness" of the gelcoat when you run your hand along the wings. I was thinking I could improve this with some fine grit block sanding? What grit and what combination? Perhaps just a rubbing compound with an orbital sander?

I'm looking for advise on the best way to slow the destruction of the gelcoat. I know there is no saving it.

I'm thinking some form of block sanding to level the gelcoast as best I can and then waxing to prevent more moisture ingress?

Some have suggested spray paint to cover the bare spots, others have suggested gel coat patch for that?

Hoping for more discussion than flaming...

LINK TO PHOTOS: http://s35.photobucket.com/user/pba1...0Finish%202015
Old April 7th 15, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

FUBAR to the max.................beyond recognition, but not beyond repair. I am finishing up an LS-3a that looked just about that bad (photos available). Figure I could do another next Winter for something like 15K out the door, grind it all off, heavy prime with Polyprime, light prime & fill last pin-holes, contour with long board, paint with Acrylic Urethane, wet sand with 600, buff and wax.
E-mail me at..........johnsinclair75(at)yahoo.com
JJ
Old April 7th 15, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PBA

Thanks JJ, I'll definitely reach out. So you are saying just leave it alone?
Old April 7th 15, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 4:11:18 PM UTC-4, PBA wrote:
Thanks JJ, I'll definitely reach out. So you are saying just leave it alone?

You would be well advised to book JJ before he sobers up and realizes what he offered.
For temporary you could chip out the very loose stuff,and fill with body filler using white catalyst, and sand smooth. You won't do harm with this temporary measure but I would not suggest doing it on any but the worst spots where peeling is happening.
It all gets sanded off next winter.
Good luck
UH
Old April 7th 15, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PBA

OK, that sounds reasonable to use a little white catalyst on the real bad areas and leave everything else alone.

Thanks UH
Old April 7th 15, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

There was a Standard Cirrus a few years ago at my club that was left for so long that the cracks moved through the gelcoat and into the layer of glass below. The proper repair required removing all of the gelcoat, then the first layer of glass, putting on a new layer of glass and then new gel coat.

Don't leave it too long or this could happen to you too.
Old April 8th 15, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

What is it about north Texas and gliders in trailers. We picked up a Janus C from north Texas years ago. One season in the desert and the gelcoat was popping off the wings. Owner took all the old gelcoat off, it chipped off very easily, there is a video of it on YouTube. Re profiled the wings, prepped as JJ described, painted with poly and sanded to a glass finish. Looked great when he was done.
BillT
Old April 8th 15, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

JJ does great work and he is "retired" so I would take advantage of his offer, before he decides to spend the winter doing something fun. Plus a complete refinish for 15K, great deal.
Old April 8th 15, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Old April 8th 15, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 4:52:53 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 4:11:18 PM UTC-4, PBA wrote:
Thanks JJ, I'll definitely reach out. So you are saying just leave it alone?

You would be well advised to book JJ before he sobers up and realizes what he offered.
For temporary you could chip out the very loose stuff,and fill with body filler using white catalyst, and sand smooth. You won't do harm with this temporary measure but I would not suggest doing it on any but the worst spots where peeling is happening.
It all gets sanded off next winter.
Good luck
UH

Ummmmm..... yeppers.... we just went through similar........ doing a bit now can help forestall the "complete refinish" that's coming up.