Flying in the US

Old May 8th 05, 09:59 PM
NS

Default Flying in the US

I am looking for a friendly place to fly in the US when I go on vacation
this year - I have no particular destination in mind albeit I have flown in
sw Florida, Texas, New England and Arizona. Has anybody got any
recommendations for flight schools that aren't too commercial training
oriented and would welcome a keen limey ppl who only wants to fly for a bit
of fun and has a sense of humour.

I have around 300 hrs mostly on complex types

I would be grateful for your views

Regards

Nigel
Maidenhead, Berkshire UK

Old May 9th 05, 02:05 AM
Jay Honeck

I am looking for a friendly place to fly in the US when I go on vacation
this year - I have no particular destination in mind albeit I have flown in
sw Florida, Texas, New England and Arizona. Has anybody got any
recommendations for flight schools that aren't too commercial training
oriented and would welcome a keen limey ppl who only wants to fly for a bit
of fun and has a sense of humour.

Nigel, I humbly suggest visiting the heartland of America, the Midwest, and
using our lovely town of Iowa City, Iowa as your "base of operations."

We've got two very friendly flight schools, renting primarily Cessna
products, and we're only 90 minutes from Chicago, Milwaukee, or Oshkosh.
And we're just 60 minutes from Kansas City or St. Louis -- so you can cover
a very wide swath of America from here.

I also know a pretty nice place to stay while you're here, that gives pilots
a discount...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 9th 05, 03:38 AM
Jay Honeck

Oooh. How shameless.... ;-D

Me? Nah...

;-)

But I am dead serious about my recommendation to visit the Midwest, whether
he stays in Iowa City or not.

If you want to understand the U.S., and see where the real people live, come
to the heartland. There are many terrific things here, and you don't have
to lock your car doors while you check them out...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 9th 05, 05:29 AM
Bob Fry

Consider Northern California. Flawless summertime weather, and you
can fly from the coast, over a large agricultural valley, to the
mountains, within 30-60 minutes. You can easily fly down to Southern
California or up to Oregon and Washington within a day. Great
weather, great scenery, and great people who aren't xenophobic; what
more could you want?? If this sounds interesting, post back and I'll
look into local clubs.
Old May 9th 05, 06:12 AM
Grumman-581

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:C2Afe.67627$c24.42572@attbi_s72...
If you want to understand the U.S., and see where the real people live,

come
to the heartland.

I'm not sure that I would classify Iowa as "where the real people live"...
I've lived in various places around the country while in the Navy and while
contracting... Each has it's own advantages and disadvantages...

Went flying out of C17 today... Quite windy, but it was straight down the
runway and not *too* bad on the surface... It was pretty much directly out
of the south... Flew over west towards whatever that lake is to the NW of
the nuke plant, followed the river for awhile and then headed back... Just
flying kind of slow, checking out the scenery -- 100 kts... At one point, I
was heading north and I looked down at my LORAN and it showed a groundspeed
of 157 kts... Yee Haw!! A 57 kt tailwind! I've never seen that in Texas...
Probably because when the weather is bad enough to give you that, there's
other things like level 5 thunderstorms that deter you from getting in the
air...

There are many terrific things here, and you don't have
to lock your car doors while you check them out...

But you need to lock up your tanks of ammonium nitrate...

Old May 9th 05, 06:12 AM
Grumman-581

"Bob Fry" wrote in message ...
Consider Northern California. Flawless summertime weather, and you
can fly from the coast, over a large agricultural valley, to the
mountains, within 30-60 minutes. You can easily fly down to Southern
California or up to Oregon and Washington within a day. Great
weather, great scenery, and great people who aren't xenophobic; what
more could you want??

Less Californians? snicker

Old May 9th 05, 10:15 AM
H.P.

Try the Midwest. Wichita is the home of Cessna, Beechcraft & Hawker
(Raytheon). No pesky mountains, very warm and friendly people, and lots of
airports (sometimes, you can make your own airport). Some fun cities are
Chicago, Kansas City, St. Louis.

http://www.familytravelguides.com/ar...midweststates/

Old May 9th 05, 10:18 AM
W P Dixon

And home to some of the biggest dang tornados I have ever seen!!!!!!!

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

. ..