How much corrosion is too much?

Old February 1st 04, 07:22 PM
Carl Orton

Default How much corrosion is too much?

I searched the archives, and found discussion on problems that corrosion has
caused, but haven't found any dealing with the role of corrosion in the sale
of an airplane.

I know most of you steadfastly maintain that ANY corrosion is bad. But, in
reality, how many of you have purchased anyway, knowing that some corrosion
existed?

I'm not talking about just the thin white dusting type corrosion that is
almost common in all aircraft. I'm talking stuff where you can see "piles"
1/32th of an inch or so of powder fairly well distributed. I'm not talking
exfoliation type stuff.

See some pics below. The first is an inspection cover. The 2nd is the
interior of the tail inspection area. With mirrors, you can see the "piles"
on the lower surface of the horizontal stab skin.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cor...bum?.dir=/4be0

So, if you're in a dry area, and if you start treating with Corrosion-X or
other, would you do it? The A&P says that it could last another 15-20 years.
BUT... I have to look at resale down the line.

Thanks for any opinions;
Carl

Old February 1st 04, 08:49 PM
Jay Honeck

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cor...bum?.dir=/4be0

The link doesn't work for me.

Here's the error message:

The File You Are Looking For Is Inaccessible.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 1st 04, 09:19 PM
Carl Orton

OK; think I've got it now. Have never posted to Yahoo, so I hadn't shared
them out.

I *think* I've set it correctly now.

Old February 2nd 04, 12:04 AM
Dan Thomas

"Carl Orton" wrote in message ...

See some pics below. The first is an inspection cover. The 2nd is the
interior of the tail inspection area. With mirrors, you can see the "piles"
on the lower surface of the horizontal stab skin.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cor...bum?.dir=/4be0

Doesn't look too good in the photos. I'd have a really close look
at the outside surfaces, opposite the corroded areas, and look for
tiny blisters. Poke these with a small, sharp tool like an awl, and if
it goes through easily, the metal is shot. BTDT.
There might be much worse corrosion in the riveted joints where
you can't see so well. Such areas tend to trap moisture, and
electrical current through these areas can accelerate corrosion.
Look for animal nests inside pest-accessible areas like the wings
and elevators (it is a 172, right?). They get in through lightening
holes (inboard ends of elevators and between aileron and wing) and do
terrific damage with their wastes.

Dan

Old February 2nd 04, 01:31 AM
Abafon Goula

Looks like a bunch. Scotchbrite and treat. Replace it later in your
career!